Raiders fire DLC Brenston Buckner, officially hire Rod Marinelli as DLC and Austin King as OQC

RaidersAreOne

Buck mismanaged the DL Rotation early in the season. 

He didn't coach Hurst, Hall and Key up like expected for them to make a step forward. 

Crosby and Ferrell are talented. Buck may have helped a little but their talent is what carried them as rookies.

Those 5 young DL are going to benefit from Rob Marinelli coaching that unit far more than they would if Buck was coaching them. Expect those 5 to make big strides this offseason. 

Jay Gruden as QB coach could be next after all the OC positions have been filled.

• Like 6

I really hope that this is a good thing. Because I can't remember the last time a position coach that was doing a good job got fired without the front office cleaning house. 

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Gruden hired PG in season replacement 

Possibly... I would've fired the LB coach too. 

• Like 1

I liked Buckner, but this is an upgrade. Marinelli is one of the best DC's in the business. He knows Gruden and is a fail safe if Guenther doesn't pull things together. Maybe can help Guenther with scheme even. Further, well respected by players in Dallas where a number of FA's are coming off that defense. 

• Like 4

I was always in the minority that thought Buckner was terrible. Didn’t voice it out much cause this forum really liked him.. probably cause he has a “cool” personality. All he did was do motivational talks. He is not a technique teacher what so ever. He is KNJ of DL coaches. 

Imagine what Maxx can do with a real DL coach. Can’t wait. 

• Like 1