Raiders fire DL coach Brenston Buckner, officially hire Rod Marinelli

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

This is what the Raiders do with with coaches under Gruden.  You screw up then there is hope you get better.  If you do well then time to go in another direction.  Besides the O-line the D-line improved the most.  The O-line received a ton of cap dollars and high picks so they should have improved.  The d-line not so much and I would say they improved from coaching.  I am still bitter over Pagano.

What about the fact we spent a 1st and 4th this year, a 2nd, 3rd and 5th (Hurst should have gone much higher) last year? We did address the d-line the past couple years via draft. We didn't necessarily bring in huge FA's but we did sign Hankins, Mayowa and Mauro as steady vets.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What about the fact we spent a 1st and 4th this year, a 2nd, 3rd and 5th (Hurst should have gone much higher) last year? We did address the d-line the past couple years via draft. We didn't necessarily bring in huge FA's but we did sign Hankins, Mayowa and Mauro as steady vets.

We brought in young guys that needed to be coached up.  The O-line got a ton of money as well as a 1st and 3rd last year.  We have 3 pro bowl linemen to go along with Jackson and a 1st round player in his 2nd year.  If that did not improve from being one of the worst lines the past decade then I would have made it my life's mission to get Cable fired.

18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We brought in young guys that needed to be coached up.  The O-line got a ton of money as well as a 1st and 3rd last year.  We have 3 pro bowl linemen to go along with Jackson and a 1st round player in his 2nd year.  If that did not improve from being one of the worst lines the past decade then I would have made it my life's mission to get Cable fired.

I don't think anyone's arguing our O-line got much better.

Buckner was not a good DL coach. He didn’t teach technique. He was purely motivational which is terrible for a position coach. A position coach is suppose to teach fundamentals. Maxx Crosby did what he did this year purely on talent. 

And as @jrry32 said, Rod is one of the best DL coaches in the business. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Buckner was not a good DL coach. He didn’t teach technique. He was purely motivational which is terrible for a position coach. A position coach is suppose to teach fundamentals. Maxx Crosby did what he did this year purely on talent. 

I just remember him screaming and yelling for his guys to do what they do or you won’t be on the team no more on hard knocks. Didn’t seem as though he taught much. Just passion 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think anyone's arguing our O-line got much better.

We had very little talent on defense and the talent we brought in for the line was very young and needed to be coached.  Bayraider saying a rookie 4th round pick was going to get his no matter the coaching is ridiculous.  My point was the D needed coaching and the O just needed to gel.  I understand that it may be an upgrade at the coaching spot but of all the news we get it is that we fired the one coach that was doing his job at above expected level.  I hope Marinelli is everything people are saying and more.

50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is amateur honestly.....You are basing this off one scene on hard knocks. How could you POSSIBLY know he "didn't teach technique"? He played Dline in the NFL and is a well respected coach by his players.

Buckner was a solid coach. Marinelli is a great coach. Both those things can be true. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is amateur honestly.....You are basing this off one scene on hard knocks. How could you POSSIBLY know he "didn't teach technique"? He played Dline in the NFL and is a well respected coach by his players.

Buckner was a solid coach. Marinelli is a great coach. Both those things can be true. 

Your proof...? Rod has a big time reputation as one of the best “teachers” in the game. I could also give plenty of examples of coaches teaching. But not any for Buckner. Zero. 

I’ve never heard Buckner and “teacher” or “technique” in the same sentence. When he does show something, it’s a brief 5-10 second explanation. This was his gripe that people had on other teams too. 

Keep hanging your hat on the always right train BP. Buckner is bad coach. 

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Your proof...? Rod has a big time reputation as one of the best “teachers” in the game. I could also give plenty of examples of coaches teaching. But not any for Buckner. Zero. 

I’ve never heard Buckner and “teacher” or “technique” in the same sentence. When he does show something, it’s a brief 5-10 second explanation. This was his gripe that people had on other teams too. 

Keep hanging your hat on the always right train BP. Buckner is bad coach. 

Quote from Maxx Crosby who just had 10 sacks on his Dline:

“I think it comes down to Coach Buck on the mental side of things,” Crosby said after the game. “At first everything was going so fast and I was thinking too much, and my technique wasn’t all there, but having him is super helpful.”

eleven weeks into his first season in the NFL and the pieces are all starting to come together, and he credits defensive line coach Brentson Buckner for helping him understand the game at a slower pace.

Anyway... carry on. I like the upgrade, but piling on Buckner is just misguided. You're the "all or nothing" type. Nobody is arguing Rod is better, just that Buck was a decent positional coach. 

• Like 3