Raiders fire DL coach Brenston Buckner, officially hire Rod Marinelli

RaidersAreOne

I'd say our best two positional coaches this season were our TE and DL group. Both groups took big steps forward.

Cowboy fans - What's the deal on Marinelli? I remember him being considered one of the better DL coaches and got the most out of tons of players. However he is 70 years old. Some thought he was going to retire too I remember?

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Weird move. 

Umm ya we're firing you after the great job you did this past year and we're hiring a 70 year old coach who went 0-16. LMFAO.

0-16 has nothing to do with how he coaches Dline group

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

0-16 has nothing to do with how he coaches Dline group

You don;t have to tell me, I'm a Bears fan and I was happy with the job he did as DC here under Lovie Smith...but I just don't get firing someone who produced good results for you for a guy who may not be coaching much longer.

7 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

He is just having the trubiski jitters making him sour at everything to deal with the pain

Hah nah just don't like seeing guys get the short end of the stick after doing a good job that's all.  You think this is a fair move?

Most Raider fans feel like Rod could become DC mid-season if our D doesn't progress more. I'm fine with this move and view it as an upgrade even if it's short-term. We need to progress Ferrell, Crosby, Hurst and Hall as much as we can and if we do so more with Rod, then fantastic. Thanks Buckner!

• Like 1

This is what the Raiders do with with coaches under Gruden.  You screw up then there is hope you get better.  If you do well then time to go in another direction.  Besides the O-line the D-line improved the most.  The O-line received a ton of cap dollars and high picks so they should have improved.  The d-line not so much and I would say they improved from coaching.  I am still bitter over Pagano.