Raiders fire DL coach Brenston Buckner, officially hire Rod Marinelli

RaidersAreOne

On 1/15/2020 at 6:44 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's a really great guy. I hope he lands on his feet.

I’m like new to twitter and don’t use it much besides sports reasons, but I follow Buckner and sent him a thank you message.  I was suprised he actually took the time to respond back.  That was pretty cool of him.  I really liked the guy.  Nonetheless, it’s hard to pass on Marinelli as a DL coach and future stop gap DC if Guenther has to go.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, big_palooka said:

This is amateur honestly.....You are basing this off one scene on hard knocks. How could you POSSIBLY know he "didn't teach technique"? He played Dline in the NFL and is a well respected coach by his players.

Buckner was a solid coach. Marinelli is a great coach. Both those things can be true. 

So much this.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Are there any examples of Marinelli coaching good players into great ones? Just curious.

Alex Brown, Adewale Ogunleye, Henry Melton, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, Booger McFarland, all developed under Hot Rod.  For a very long time he was near universally considered the best DL coach in the game.  Hell it wasnt that long ago I was arguing about the greatness of Henry Melton vs Geno Atkins, and it was a legit argument.  That alone should tell you all you need to know.

• Like 3

Colts did something very similar in 2019 when the fired Dave DeGuglielmo after greatly improving the offensive line from a year before. They wrote it off initially as Reich trying to bring in his own guy but he kept the other two guys McDaniel's hired so that really didn't seem to have the ring of truth, and then the fact that he brought in someone he had never worked with before and who Howard Mudd, basically a ring of honor Offensive Line guru who was hired back as a senior offensive assistant, pushed forward as a person they should look at hiring. 

Then came word that there were some bad dealings with him vs players. For instance, when offensive lineman Denzelle Good's brother was killed, he came back and was dealing with a lot of personal problems, for obvious reasons, and Dave wanted him to fight and play through it. When Good was not able to do that, Dave told him he would never play for him again in a closed door meeting. Good went to Ballard and asked to be released because of this meeting. I think this stuff was the catalyst for him being fired.

SO you never really know what exactly goes on behind the scenes with some of these firings and hirings. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

For instance, when offensive lineman Denzelle Good's brother was killed, he came back and was dealing with a lot of personal problems, for obvious reasons, and Dave wanted him to fight and play through it. When Good was not able to do that, Dave told him he would never play for him again in a closed door meeting. Good went to Ballard and asked to be released because of this meeting. I think this stuff was the catalyst for him being fired.

This story still reaaaaaally pisses me off. What an absolute dirtbag to try and force Good to play when he wasn't mentally or physically right. Glad that coach is fired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Are there any examples of Marinelli coaching good players into great ones? Just curious.

I think the better example was how he took terrible DL and made them good. We continually brought in cast offs and he made them serviceable. One of the notable ones was David Irving. Grabbed him off the Chiefs practice squad and one season his production (statistically) was almost Aaron Donald-esque. Of course, David turned out to be insane, but thats a different story. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1