2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Safeties

KC_Guy

I'll do a really quick one.

An Overview:

This group was an unknown at the start of the season. With Watts, Lucas and Sorensen returning Berry on his way out, the position was shaky at best. Then the team goes out and signs the Honeybadger and drafts Thornhill.

The Players:

Bringing in Tyrann Mathieu was probably the best idea Brett Veach had so far. Man, what a difference he made, comparable only to Berry in his hey days. I think he singlehandly turned around the whole DB Crew. No further comment needed. The only bad Thing I see is that the Chiefs only signed him for three years. 

Juan Thornhill was an unknown, but already in Training camp it became clear he'd challenge for a starting role. Well, he delivered until that unfortunate Play. I assume he'll be back to start the Season next year.

Armani Watts is still an unknown to me. He got more Plays after the Thornhill injury, but so far I haven't seen anything to write home about. Entering his third year he'll have to find a role. He won't be guaranteed a Job next year.

Daniel Sorensen I already adressed in the cap thread. After the Houston game I'm even more convinced he has to stay. Not due to his Performance overall, but also due to his workload. A four Phase special teamer in addition to 100% of the defensive snaps. Wow. I think he's best used close to the line, and looking at Tennessee I wonder whether I'd put him on Derrick Henry all day.

The Outlook:

The squad as is will return to training camp for sure. Nevertheless, I'd bring in a bunch of UDFA guys to especially challenge Watts, may be even use a late pick if the value is there. Nothing more required for now. Extending Sorensen might be an option.

Edited by KC_Guy

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

You think Thornhill will be back to start the season next year? Don't ACL tears take longer than that to get back from?

9 months without complications is what I heard. He may not be 100% though initially. But then you have Sorensen and possibly Fuller.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/1/3/21048105/injury-analysis-making-sense-of-juan-thornhills-acl-tear-and-a-potential-timetable-for-return

Update:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/1/14/21066077/juan-thornhill-posts-that-surgery-went-well

Edited by KC_Guy

Honestly an ACL tear recovery nowadays is 9-12 months for regular Joe, so for a NFL athlete, it can be even less than that. Jeffrey Simmons tore his in February last year and was on the field in October.

The issue is that he will miss all offseason, which is probably what pushed back Simmons debut as well in TEN.

I think we definitely need to bring in a safety on a 1 year deal as insurance. But other than that we're pretty set

On 1/14/2020 at 2:22 PM, KC_Guy said:

I think he's best used close to the line, and looking at Tennessee I wonder whether I'd put him on Derrick Henry all day.

Sorensen sticking to Henry sounds good to me. Playing close to the line is good too.  I'd put him in the LB tier (8 man box). If Henry gets by Sorensen he (Sorensen) hasn't got the speed to catch him anyway. Mathieu will have to be there to back up Sorensen. 

Henry is getting 70% of Tennessee's plays. And why not? We gotta gotta slow him down. Very hard to do. Make Tannehill beat us. Fuller and our CB's just gotta play their best or Tannehill can beat us too.

Slowing Henry and winning the turnover battle, and sacking Tannehill a few times, would go a long way toward winning this game.

Edited by mayanfootball

On 1/14/2020 at 11:21 PM, KC_Guy said:
On 1/14/2020 at 4:40 PM, Kirill said:

9 months without complications is what I heard. He may not be 100% though initially. But then you have Sorensen and possibly Fuller.

Honestly, Thornhill will need to skip a  year and he still probably won't get back to this year's condition/speed. We'll be 1 injury away from being in the same fix.  What if Matthieu or Fuller gets hurt? Sorensen has shown he doesn't have the speed to play Safety full time. I'd be happier drafting a competent Safety to play Thornhill's position until he can show he's back to playing condition. Then let the best man start.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That tweet is the last update I have seen on Thornhill. It has been almost a full month.

One name to consider is Rodney Clemons. He signed as an UDFA out of SMU. He played considerable CB, so the ball skills should be first rate. The combine numbers are just decent, which fits with an undrafted player. A four year starter and team captain, he has all the intangibles. Obviously, it's a long road, but there is a role available. We are working Sorensen full time on both regular defense and ST. At this point in his career, it would best if he could concentrate on one or the other.

It's interesting that Sneed played safety in college, but is considered pure CB for the NFL. With the way Spags plays hybrid positions, Sneed may also get some of the safety workload.

J

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That tweet is the last update I have seen on Thornhill. It has been almost a full month.

There's also no mini-camps, team workouts, and even training camp isn't for sure. No reason for there to be any updates.

We'll also likely play some rookies at safety. But I think our roster is pretty set for this season with Mathieu, Thornhill, Sorenson, and Watts.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

There's also no mini-camps, team workouts, and even training camp isn't for sure. No reason for there to be any updates.

We'll also likely play some rookies at safety. But I think our roster is pretty set for this season with Mathieu, Thornhill, Sorenson, and Watts.

I'll buy Mathieu, Thornhill, and Sorenson. Watts has to win a position and I do not consider him a favorite. He is not a top ST player and had very few game snaps in the late going and post season, even with Thornhill out.

I mentioned Clemons, who is a natural cover safety. Both of the drafted DB, Sneed and Keyes, have the size to play safety, part time at least. Sneed was even listed as a safety in the NFL.com draft guide.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article on our UDFA, Rodney Clemons. I vaguely knew about him from when he played high school ball not far from here. As a four year starter, even in a second tier conference, there good reason to think he can play at this level. That said, he is not fast--4.71 in the 40--which is likely why he went undrafted. The other side of that is that he does not look slow in action. Special Teams should be a natural. He has two blocked kicks on his record.

In any event, I think there is a very good chance RC makes the team out of camp. He has the instincts and the size to play the Sorensen role effectively, including ST. Sorensen is now 30 and plays every ST snap in addition to regular defense. We need the depth. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/20/southern-methodist-db-rodney-clemons-fit-with-kansas-city-chiefs/

J

Edited by onejayhawk

• 1 month later...

New player in the mix. The Chiefs sign former 4th round pick Tedrick Thompson. If the name sounds familiar, he's Cedrick Thompson's brother. Last season he started six games for Seattle, but had a season ending shoulder injury.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/7/21212402/kansas-city-chiefs-roster

And another article
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/7/29/21346509/the-film-review-is-in-chiefs-tedric-thompson-provides-safety-depth-with-limitations

Update: Juan Thornhill starts camp as PUP.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/31/chiefs-place-juan-thornhill-martinas-rankin-on-pup/

J

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind Thornhill taking another year to get stronger in the lower body. I'm not convinced we're playing a full season, if at all.

Connecticut has cancelled. Others will follow. I'm hearing players can't breath with the new face shields-can't get fresh air. What a shame. Chiefs were on a roll.

Edited by mayanfootball