Chris Cooley on the Staff !?

RSkinGM

If it happens (just a rumor now), I think it would be a good move for both the team and him. He has a good eye for talent and I wouldn't put coaching outside the realm of possibility for him in the future. This would be a good way to start that career.

But as with most internet rumors, I will believe it when I see it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If it happens (just a rumor now), I think it would be a good move for both the team and him. He has a good eye for talent and I wouldn't put coaching outside the realm of possibility for him in the future. This would be a good way to start that career.

But as with most internet rumors, I will believe it when I see it

I'm going to get lambasted for this by some, but what's he proven to you that he's a good eye for talent?  I realize that we have to start somewhere, and Cooley, just like any other player or whomever wanting to coach, should start at the bottom rung as some sort of offensive assistant.  

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm going to get lambasted for this by some, but what's he proven to you that he's a good eye for talent?  I realize that we have to start somewhere, and Cooley, just like any other player or whomever wanting to coach, should start at the bottom rung as some sort of offensive assistant.  

He’s analyzed game film since he first retired and broken it down and explained what each player did right or wrong on a play. He’s done this on the radio for fans who knew nothing when they watched the games but Cooley was able to explain to them what was going on in simple terms so they’d understand where players screwed up - even players they loved - such as me with RG3 and others.

That’s what scouts do when scouting players whether soon to be free agents in the pros or soon to be draft prospects and the coaches do this for the players as well.

He still does so on TV on channel 4 w/ the coaches show and on twitter/YouTube &  via Redskins.com.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

He’s analyzed game film since he first retired and broken it down and explained what each player did right or wrong on a play. He’s done this on the radio for fans who knew nothing when they watched the games but Cooley was able to explain to them what was going on in simple terms so they’d understand where players screwed up - even players they loved - such as me with RG3 and others.

He still does so on TV on channel 4 w/ the coaches show and on twitter/YouTube &  via Redskins.com.

Ok.  I stay far away from the radio shows here.  The only times I ever have it on are on gameday over the speakers while we are tailgating. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s what scouts do when scouting players whether soon to be free agents in the pros or soon to be draft prospects and the coaches do this for the players as well.

Not only that, he's analyzed the guys coming out from college and also the ones in the NFL (not on the Redskins). He was touting Kyle Smith years ago as someone who knows football and knows talent (this was before Kyle got promoted the last few times). A few years ago (before Adam Thielen blew up), Cooley was mentioning on the radio "this guy Thighlen, or Theelen. He's gonna blow up. This guy is a playmaker and it's only a matter of time before everyone recognizes him as one of the best WRs in football." There are quite a few more of him identifying players. But so much game analyzing that he does, is incredible. I'll have to find the vault for @naptownskinsfan of his gameday breakdowns where he gives each player a grade on their performance (like the coaches would). Simple things too, like the fact that our TEs don't put their hat on the correct side of the defender as they block. How they release. How they stem the route and prepare to break, etc... He gets into detail that I think would be better served helping younger NFL players get better.

And yes, he DOES need to pay his coaching dues, which (if this is just more than a rumor) is why the quality control coaching position is perfect to start.

Here's an older one of his breakdowns (when Alfred Morris was still on the team)

https://www.redskins.com/video/cooley-s-film-room-breaking-down-the-running-game-16420614

Here's another one:

https://www.redskins.com/video/cooley-s-film-room-why-the-running-game-struggled-16479957

Another:

https://www.redskins.com/video/cooley-film-breakdown-five-step-drop-play

Here's audio to one (long one almost 60 minutes):

https://www.redskins.com/audio/kickoff-at-the-park-with-chris-cooley-episode-1

I wish I could find the ones talking about how the receivers should be stemming routes and selling your routes to freeze safeties, etc... But the detail he goes into on these is fantastic. I literally never missed these when he was on the air.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve listened to his breakdowns a bunch of times. It’s not just spouting football to impress the audience. The guy knows his stuff. That not to say there aren’t 100’s if not 1000’s of football people at that level. We know the TE room will need a lot of help this coming season. It can’t hurt to have a guy like Cooley around to help out. 

• Like 2