Panther's LB Luke Kuechly announces retirement

.Buzz

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Patrick Willis did this to. It seems LBs in general are breaking down or hanging it up earlier and earlier. It's probably due to the speed LBs in todays game are required to have hinders them in the longevity department since they still have to bang with TEs, OLs, etc. 

I mean think about it, LBs have to slam into other players on every snap. And its not like a OL/DL collision where its 1.5 steps until you lock up. LBs have a running start from 5-7 yards away to then slam into somebody head on. Especially MLBs who play up the middle on run plays like Luke.

Its the same thing everybody talks about with RB longevity and why nobody wants to pay them because of how fast they expire given the pounding they take after 5-8 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Ah man, one of my favorite players to watch in the league. Everytime he played he seemed like the smartest guy on the field - as well as being bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone else.

He's definitely going in to the Hall of Fame, and deservedly so.

It kills to see such a talented player and good guy walk away, but it's totally justified given his concussion history. 

I sincerely hope he got away before the point of no return with the concussions. I wish him the best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DannyB said:

Things that can make a player retire from the game they love and leave millions of dollars on the table:

-Multiple traumatic head injuries with potentially lifelong affects, leading to hellish living conditions.

-Spending your career with the Browns or Lions.

Well when Jim Brown retired, the Browns were one of the most dominating football teams. Jim Brown retiree because Modell was an A-hole (that’s a big shocker)

5 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Just came across this list. This is bonkers how many elite players retired early recently.

"Retire early" doesn't really apply to Gronk, his injury history was terrible, even compared to everyone else on that list. The others went out early on their own terms, but Gronk was just physically done. Watching him struggle through that season was hard.

9 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

He’s had multiple concussions. Thought this was a possibility. Guy was a stud and the Panthers will greatly miss him and his leadership. 

I was going to post this.  Didn't he miss several games after one of his concussions?  He is smart not to mess around with this.

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well when Jim Brown retired, the Browns were one of the most dominating football teams. Jim Brown retiree because Modell was an A-hole (that’s a big shocker)

Well, Robert Smith retired at age 28...and Barry Sanders retired at 29.  The Lions haven't recovered since then.  And actually I think Jim Brown had more issues with Paul Brown than Modell.  I actually believe that he and Modell got along fairly well.

Shame he called it early, but I love the decision in regard to his long term health. His concussion history makes this the right call.

I've seen a similar trend happening in rugby too. Injuries / head knocks leading to early retirements. Combat / collision sport athletes armed with the information available today - really need to consider the ramifications of playing long extended careers. 10/12 years is probably the ideal number. 

Great career overall. One of the best of the modern era. 

Edited by Small Town Values