Panther's LB Luke Kuechly announces retirement

.Buzz

I think the HOF discussion has to apply context.

He was absolutely elite, best in the game at his prime.  He was more or less elite his whole career. He didn’t get washed at 28 and walk away, he did so by choice.

IMO he’s a HOFer. Anyone who doesn’t only says so because he didn’t compile enough stats to look good in comparison to others.  But anyone who ever watched the guy play would easily say “yeah, that dude’s one of the best to have done it”.  That’s HOF worthy to me.

• Like 7

Patrick Willis did this to. It seems LBs in general are breaking down or hanging it up earlier and earlier. It's probably due to the speed LBs in todays game are required to have hinders them in the longevity department since they still have to bang with TEs, OLs, etc. 

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the HOF discussion has to apply context.

He was absolutely elite, best in the game at his prime.  He was more or less elite his whole career. He didn’t get washed at 28 and walk away, he did so by choice.

IMO he’s a HOFer. Anyone who doesn’t only says so because he didn’t compile enough stats to look good in comparison to others.  But anyone who ever watched the guy play would easily say “yeah, that dude’s one of the best to have done it”.  That’s HOF worthy to me.

When I think of HOF, the first thing I think of is longevity. Everyone has a different criteria obviously and there are a ton of factors and variables that come into play. It's going to be really interesting to see how/if Calvin Johnson, Willis, Gronk and Luke among others, can make it.

Edited by Nex_Gen

8 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

When I think of HOF, the first thing I think of is longevity. Everyone has a different criteria obviously and there are a ton of factors and variables that come into play. It's going to be really interesting to see how/if Calvin Johnson, Willis, Gronk and Luke among others, can make it.

The thing about Gronk is that he was like the best TE ever for the time he was at his peak.  IMO, Luke Kuechly isn't even the best MLB in football right now.  Wasn't last year, either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showtime said:

The thing about Gronk is that he was like the best TE ever for the time he was at his peak.  IMO, Luke Kuechly isn't even the best MLB in football right now.  Wasn't last year, either.

It's tough because I don't think anyone is going to say Kuechly was ever better than Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis, but also we have to think about the only other person stopping Kuechly from being the best MLB in football during his career was....another HOF player in Bobby Wagner.

I can see him getting in just on accolades, but IMHO I don't think he goes in with how short his career was and how he didn't do anything legendary, really.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I think era plays a role too and with a lot of guys retiring earlier than past generations, longevity may not be the prerequisite it once was in 5-10 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

When I think of HOF, the first thing I think of is longevity.

precedent does not support that. on average players played 166 games in the HOF. That is 10 seasons in a 16 game season. Even as recently as 2017 two guys who played under 90 games their entire careers were inducted (Terrell Davis and Kenny Easley). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's tough because I don't think anyone is going to say Kuechly was ever better than Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis, but also we have to think about the only other person stopping Kuechly from being the best MLB in football during his career was....another HOF player in Bobby Wagner.

I can see him getting in just on accolades, but IMHO I don't think he goes in with how short his career was and how he didn't do anything legendary, really.

I don't know Wagner's numbers, but he's a debatable HoF'er just like Kuechly.  The thing about Wagner is he probably gets in if he plays his entire career out and doesn't retire early.  Neither Kuechly or Wagner are all-time greats or game changers like Ray Lewis.  Neither guy is even as good as Patrick Willis, as you said.  If Kuechly plays his entire career, he's a HoF'er, but because he decided to walk away from the game, I think it's up for debate.  I think Wagner gets in before Kuechly.

31 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Yes and no. The man is set for life. His family won't have to work a day in their lives if he managed his money wisely. People tend to look at the positives as we don't really get to see the day to day struggles of the injuries and the effects they have long term. I think kids will see someone retiring and 28 and strive for that life.

I know it’s an expression but do you never want your kids to work a day in their lives?

Anyway good for him.  He always seemed to look a little more dazed each year.  Hopefully he avoided that next big hit that would’ve given him permanent issues.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't know Wagner's numbers, but he's a debatable HoF'er just like Kuechly.  The thing about Wagner is he probably gets in if he plays his entire career out and doesn't retire early.  Neither Kuechly or Wagner are all-time greats or game changers like Ray Lewis.  Neither guy is even as good as Patrick Willis, as you said.  If Kuechly plays his entire career, he's a HoF'er, but because he decided to walk away from the game, I think it's up for debate.  I think Wagner gets in before Kuechly.

Keuchly was definitely on Willis level. Luke is an all time great. Was the QB of his defense and diagnosed plays better than anyone that ever did it before him. He wasn't a hard hitting monster like Lewis but he single handily kept our defense competitive with his leadership when we had holes. And when a play needed to be made it usually him setting it up or doing it himself.

Just now, RabidPanther89 said:

Keuchly was definitely on Willis level. Luke is an all time great. Was the QB of his defense and diagnosed plays better than anyone that ever did it before him. He wasn't a hard hitting monster like Lewis but he single handily kept our defense competitive with his leadership when we had holes. And when a play needed to be made it usually him setting it up or doing it himself.

I don't agree.  I'd take Patrick Willis over Keuchly.  Diagnosed plays better than anyone ever did?  Okay, now you're clearly exaggerating.  Guy isn't anywhere near Ray Lewis as a player.  Stop it.