Post Divisional 4 Rounder with Comp Picks

goldfishwars

The only thing I disagree with on the Falcons is taking a RB in the 2nd round. Not because the Falcons wouldn't do it (they absolutely would, they love making terrible decisions), but because it's just... kind of pointless? It's literally a waste of a draft pick.

The run blocking was so bad, what do you expect Dobbins to do? Run up the gut and get tackled behind the line for -3 yards every play? Or do you think he's so amazing that he's going to break 8 tackles every time he touches the ball? Because that's what's going to be required for him to even get to the 2nd level of running. Dobbins ability to be a blocker/pass catcher would be 10000000000000x more relevant than any of his abilities as a runner. Prime Barry Sanders would be atrocious behind our run blocking... so I just don't see the point in wasting draft capitol on a running back. I can totally see Quinn/TD talking themselves into thinking their issues running the ball are just due to the RB position and thus, making this move - but if they want to run the ball, just draft more guards.

I guess you could say "well the run blocking is bound to improve in 2020 thus allowing a RB to show his skillset more easily," but I'd counter that with Dirk Koetter's Air Coryell scheme emphasizing the power gap run blocking scheme over the zone blocking scheme our offensive line is more built for. What Koetter wants to do in the running game is entirely antithetical to the skillsets our offensive line has (they're built for outside zone, not for the power gap scheme Koetter likes). It's a complete mismatch, and I expect more of that in 2020 - ergo, the Falcons won't have much success running the ball next year.

I also think CB is more of a need than you do, but I'm also not confident in the Falcons coaching staff's ability to actually develop the young CBs we have on the roster right now.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Pittsburgh

49. Hunter Bryant [ TE ] Washington
102. Solomon Kindley [ IOL ] Georgia
121. Bradlee Anae [ EDGE ] Utah
132. Lamar Jackson [ CB ] Nebraska

Steelers definitely need a TE but EDGE is going to be a much bigger need with Dupree almost certainly gone. There's some solid EDGE guys going right after that pick that I think we'd be better off taking. I like the Kindley and Anae picks. I don't see the Steelers likely selecting a CB at all. We had some really good CB play this year with some young guys as depth. I really think we'll go elsewhere. We'd probably grab a RB or WR over a CB.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Cincinnati

1. Joe Burrow [ QB ] LSU
33. Austin Jackson [ OT ] USC
65. David Woodward [ LB ] Utah State
104. Donovan Peoples-Jones [ WR ] Michigan

Can't argue with The Geauxt in rd 1

Rd 2 definitely hits a need.  We'll see who tests better and ends up with the better film grade between Jackson, Trey Adams, Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, etc... amongst the 2nd tier OT's, either way a plug and play RT over Bobby Hart who would be relegated to a swing tackle role which is where he should be.

Rd 3 also a big need.  Despite a slow start, Germaine Pratt definitely finished his rookie year strong, but the Bengals still need another fast linebacker who can cover backs and TE's and not be a complete liability in the run game.  Woodward is a name I've heard as a small school athlete that will test really well, so that seems to fit.  Damon Arnette could be tempting here, especially if Dennard isn't resigned, but I expect that he will be.

DPJ is a high upside pick that i'd like.  He was wasted at Michigan with poor QB play and poor offensive schemes.  Troy Dye could be a possibility here if they haven't hit LB yet, even if they actually make a FA splash at the position like they should.  Rashard Lawrence to groom behind Geno Atkins could be very interesting.  I could see Cole Van Lanen if they want to improve OL depth and push Bobby Hart for the swing tackle role.  Cushenberry already has a report with Burrow and could be solid IOL depth, but Michael Jordan did make some progress towards the end of the year

Edited by THE DUKE
It's not all a quote
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:49 AM, goldfishwars said:

Washington

2. Chase Young [ EDGE ] Ohio State
66. Bryce Hall [ CB ] Virginia
105. Michael Pittman Jr [ WR ] USC
141. Colby Parkinson [ TE ] Stanford

I'd be pretty happy with that. Maybe instead of Pittman I'd look at Duggar, Herron, Throck, or Davis from App St.

• Like 1

Somebody else with some Matt Hennessey love!  I'm not alone!

Uche is an interesting pick to me.  As a pure prospect I really like him.  As a fit into a (very likely) new scheme the Rams will be running defensively, jury's still out for me.  In Wade's scheme where he'd project to play effective a stand-up DE that was rushed 90% of the time, he's an obvious fit.  If the Rams' scheme varies more towards what Fangio has run, the OLB's are tasked with sticking TE's and carrying them in short-zone (and who the SOLB is seems to be left to the opposition and which side they line their TE up on to determine), so like I said... fit might be a bit more questionable.  Ceiling as a pass-rusher could obviously trump that, but it could also mean that the staff would favor someone similarly ranked like Okwara more.  Food for thought.

Given the priority put on ultra-athletic ILB's in the Fangio brand of defense, along with the fact that I expect Corey Littleton (rightfully so) price himself out of what the Rams will be willing to pay him, I could see Danny Woodward carrying a higher premium to the Rams than an OLB (which we do have usable bodies at, just no one staggeringly outstanding).  To that end, I do love the Davis-Gaither pick, assuming he can add 15-20 pounds over time (though his frame definitely looks like it can take it), I just love Woodward as a hit-the-ground-running type (same way I did with Darius Leonard two years ago - and, like Leonard, I feel like Woodward will go higher than people expect him to).

• Like 1

Kansas City

30. Jeff Gladney [ CB ] TCU
62. Malik Harrison [ LB ] Ohio State
94. Eno Benjamin [ RB ] Arizona State
133. Lloyd Cushenberry III [ IOL ] LSU

I am not thrilled, but the pick logic is sound. 

Albert Okwuegbunam, TE - Missouri has declared for the draft. He could go as high as mid second round. I would consider him at #62 and not miss him at #94.

LB was the source of many issues with the defense, but many of them have been smoothed out. A LB is definitely in the mix, but not a priority. If you assign one. make it a value pick. 

3rd/4th round is about right for a RB. I personally would lean to Kindley #94  and Akeem Davis-Gaither #133.

You could go IOL at any point in the whole draft. That said, I do not think the team considers C to be a problem slot. Anyone they get needs to be very athletic.

J

9 hours ago, bigdog2372 said:

I love Becton, but would be more comfortable trading WAY down for him or trying to snag him in the 2nd.  14 is a bit rich for him. We don't need to draft a QB early or probably at all, Winston will be resigned at minimum to a tag. The rest looks good.

Yeah, would be a good board for you guys to trade down