Cam Newton '15 vs Lamar Jackson '19

Nex_Gen

Barring a complete flip from the upside down, Lamar Jackson should be the clear cut winner of the MVP of 2019.

Cam Newton (2015):

3.837 passing yards, 59.8% completion, 35 TDs, 10 INTs

636 rushing yards, 10 rushing TDs

15-1 record

Lamar Jackson (2019):

3,127 passing yards, 66.1% completion, 36 TDs, 6 INTs

1.206 rushing yards, 7 rushing TDs

14-2 record

Who had the better MVP season?

17 minutes ago, Hukos said:

One lost to a bad Falcons team, and the other didn't.

Lamar, easily!

Jackson had the better season, but the Ravens lost to the Browns who were just as bad as the Falcons.  Not to mention the Panthers actually made a Super Bowl, so it’s odd it’s the one regular season loss you are focused on

Edited by iknowcool

46 minutes ago, Hukos said:

One lost to a bad Falcons team, and the other didn't.

Lamar, easily!

Eh, if you’re going to use that then Cam should get credit for actually getting to the SB vs losing in the first round. 

Still Lamar, though.

Lamer Jackson fairly easily for me. It should be noted Lamar did this in 15 starts (closer to 14 games with all the games he was pulled early due to large leads). Cam started all 16 games. Lamar had more TD passes (on less pass attempts), a substantially higher QB Rating, fewer interceptions, a better completion percentage, and much higher YPC when running the ball. Lamar just looked more dominant out there as well. If I'm not mistaken the Ravens offense was doing some historic things with scoring/yards per drive. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Jackson had the better season, but the Ravens lost to the Browns who were just as bad as the Falcons.  Not to mention the Panthers actually made a Super Bowl, so it’s odd it’s the one regular season loss you are focused on

Was the exclamation point too subtle?

Obviously losing to one team or another doesn't change how the season went, it was a joke.

If you're talking MVP season, then it's about regular season, and it's Lamar for me. In terms of cumulative stats, I think the above needs to keep in mind that Lamar only played 15 games (didn't play the last week), while Newton played all 16. So the case is made even stronger for Lamar when you take that into account.

Lamar was ranked higher in passer rating, ANY/A, DYAR and DVOA. Lamar had more total yards per game, better passer rating, better ANY/A, more rushing yards total and per game. He had a better TD/TO ratio as well.

One argument for Cam could be that he accounted for a larger percentage of the offense's total yards than Lamar, and the Ravens had better RBs. I think you could argue that the Ravens had better offensive weapons overall.

4 hours ago, childofpudding said:

One argument for Cam could be that he accounted for a larger percentage of the offense's total yards than Lamar, and the Ravens had better RBs. I think you could argue that the Ravens had better offensive weapons overall.

Perhaps. But Ingram and Stewart are similarly ranked backs. Stewart just played early in his career with DeAngelo Williams which limited some of his impact. Honestly he’s probably the more talented back over Ingram.

In terms of TEs, Greg Olsen at that point was probably better than Mark Andrews. Ed Dickson was right in line with Hayden Hurst. Veteran Tedd Ginn Jr and rookie Hollywood Brown that was hobbled all year are probably comparable. Snead is a #3 level option. Though, we definitely had superior blockers with Boyle and the OL. 

Edit: So yeah, definitely an argument could be made for a race to the bottom on the aspect of weapons. Though I think in the future the Ravens weapons should develop some, so perhaps that will make it look better when we look back on this years later.

Edited by diamondbull424

Panther fan here but gotta go Lamar... Cam was pretty avg the first half of the season and then he exploded...

Cam does get credit for not only making the Superbowl, but playing pretty good in both playoff games. The OP didnt say whether or not it was regular season only comparison though.