Cam Newton '15 vs Lamar Jackson '19

Nex_Gen

18 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Jackson was the better regular season player.

Newton went to a SB, granted he lost but still Lamar's post season struggles so far are concerning. Granted young NFL player and he was a rookie that was more or less thrown in there but still. 

Newton didn’t get a playoff win until he was 25 years old. They both got eliminated in the divisional round in their second playoff appearance. And it took Newton until his third playoff appearance to make it to the Super Bowl (and lose). Lamar Jackson was 22 this past season, so as it stands in comparison to Newton... he’s got some time before I think it becomes a concerning trend. Perhaps a loss next post season might be a point where concern should start to creep in. But like your last point noted, he’s still very young... just turned 23.

———————

In terms of the thread, I don’t particularly think it’s close. Newton scored an AV of 20 in his 2015 campaign, while Lamar scored a 26, tied with only 2006 LDT. The QBR is 67 for Newton and 81.1 for Lamar. The passer rating is 99.4% for Newton and 113.1% for Lamar. If Lamar plays that final game he would’ve broken the AV record. So again, as MVP seasons and comparing the elite seasons go, I don’t view the seasons as being particularly close.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Lamar would first need to win a playoff game before getting to the Sb. 

He’s 23...he’s played in a grand total of 2 lol...no matter how many times you try and push this Lamar can never win a playoff game thing, Ravens fans just aren’t concerned about it my guy. 

Now if 4 years down the line this guy is 26/27 and he’s like 0-5 or 1-4 in the playoffs or something, sure, we’ll be concerned.

But we’ll talk then and see what’s what. Would also be the year Ravens play the Rams again...maybe that time you guys won’t lose by 39 in a game you’re fighting for your playoff lives in. Who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Ray Reed

• 3 weeks later...

God, how did I miss this one:

- I'm not going to go to the playoff win card because it pretty much self explanatory, Cam plays way bigger in big games and won those games from the pocket

- Newton had to and did rely on Philly Brown, Ted Ginn Jr, and Jerricho Cotchery along with Greg Olsen, how many receivers did Jackson make better?

- Newton put a team on his back with below average receiving corp and a poor, and probably the worst group of tackles in the NFL (which actually cost them the SB)

-This really isn't up for debate 2015 Cam >>>>>>>> 2019 Lamar Jackson

• Like 3

Recency bias will make Lamar run away with this I'm sure (or not since he had a bad playoff game, is he trash now? Hard to keep up). Lamar had so much more help than Newton, it's not even comparable IMO... From weapons to OL to coaching, but it's not like Lamar put up the same numbers, his numbers blow Cam's out of the water. So this is definitely close. Cam put an offense on his back, willed them to 15-1 and the top scoring offense in the NFL, he truly was like superman in 2015. I think I might give the nod to him, but it's weird because I feel like if it's 1 game and I have to pick between 2015 Cam and 2019 Lamar, I'm picking 2019 Lamar. That might be just be hindsight bias, knowing Cam's 2015 was, for all intents and purposes, a fluke. Maybe Lamar's 2019 will prove to be, but that's TBD.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Recency bias will make Lamar run away with this I'm sure (or not since he had a bad playoff game, is he trash now? Hard to keep up). Lamar had so much more help than Newton, it's not even comparable IMO... From weapons to OL to coaching, but it's not like Lamar put up the same numbers, his numbers blow Cam's out of the water. So this is definitely close. Cam put an offense on his back, willed them to 15-1 and the top scoring offense in the NFL, he truly was like superman in 2015. I think I might give the nod to him, but it's weird because I feel like if it's 1 game and I have to pick between 2015 Cam and 2019 Lamar, I'm picking 2019 Lamar. That might be just be hindsight bias, knowing Cam's 2015 was, for all intents and purposes, a fluke. Maybe Lamar's 2019 will prove to be, but that's TBD.

The things I have seen going against Cam Newton and the stats he put up that season is, that much of it had to do with great field position. A lot of short fields that somewhat elevated the Panthers offense but also limited Cams opportunity to produce a lot of yards on offense.

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

-I don't recall anyone saying that Lamar is trash, he had a great season and was recognized for it.

-And I'm not afraid to say it, that whole stats argument, is kinda lame because we all know those stats are just as much a product of the system he's in. Plus what happened in the playoffs against San Diego and Tennessee when the "system" couldn't save him and he had to actually be a QB? This little part right here is what separates Cam from Lamar.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:32 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

how many receivers did Jackson make better?

QBs don't make WRs better... lol. That's not a thing. Mahomes didn't make any of his receivers good/great, they already were. 

Except for Baker making OBJ much worse. That's real. That happened. 

Edited by wackywabbit