Giants hire Jason Garrett as OC; Freddie Kitchens as TE coach

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Got it. What are some real criticisms of him? Positives/negatives? I truly don't really remember how Dallas was when he was calling plays. I think their offense was ok? Good at times? I remember Demarco Murray got a million carries that one year. And he did a good job developing Dak, whatever role he played there.

Tons of Cowboys fans that can speak on it better than I can. 

From what I’ve seen, I don’t think Garrett is a coach that gets his players to play at a higher level than they’re capable of, like McDermott is doing in Buffalo. Stuff like that probably gets mitigated as an OC. Never viewed the guy as anything special regarding his play calling, though. He wasn’t the guy making the calls for a while but he’s always had a big hand in it.

Conservative as they come no doubt. Very pass heavy offense that became extremely predictable quickly. I don’t believe he’s ever called an offense that ranked near the top half of the league in rushing attempts either. I don’t at all believe he can’t get players to play beyond expectations though as posted above. The players respect him and truly love him so they’ll play hard for him. Its been so so long that his philosophy might have changed as Dallas has had the most success when effectively running the football. I think it would be a solid hire though for the Giants. At that time there was a reason people wanted to interview him for there HC vacancies 

Some big rumblings that if he doesn't get it he's coming to JAX to be OC and Kitna's tagging along as QB Coach. Was pretty much done but NYG wanted to interview and he wants to see what their situation would look like.

Edited by .Buzz

they are simply gathering information on dallas and the rest of the division. He has intimate knowledge of all 4 teams in the nfc least, including the giants. 

Part of being a new coach on a new team is self scouting. Good to hear what a former rival had to say about your organization. 

• Like 1

The MO on Garrett's offense (and his HC) is that he's a very traditional, execution heavy coach. So his teams tend to be fundamentally sound ones. The problem is that he relies on those fundamentals and talent to consistently win matchups and doesn't do anything schematically to put his players in a situation to succeed. They never out perform their talent level. So if the players are getting defended well schematically, or just can't win their matchups, it often grinds to a halt. In this way, I actually think he's a better HC than coordinator candidate. I wouldn't love this hire from the Giants' perspective outside of maybe playing the Wade role and helping a young HC get his legs but I don't think he has the schematic chops to cut it with the innovative offenses spreading through the league.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:10 PM, minutemancl said:

Got it. What are some real criticisms of him? Positives/negatives? I truly don't really remember how Dallas was when he was calling plays. I think their offense was ok? Good at times? I remember Demarco Murray got a million carries that one year. And he did a good job developing Dak, whatever role he played there.

Dallas RBs have been relevant and heavily used pretty much all of last decade. DeMarco Murray was a beast that was fed the football a lot. Same with Zeke. Heck, even the ghost of Darren McFadden had 1,000 yards rushing for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Dallas RBs have been relevant and heavily used pretty much all of last decade. DeMarco Murray was a beast that was fed the football a lot. Same with Zeke. Heck, even the ghost of Darren McFadden had 1,000 yards rushing for them.

Not exactly and many think it wasn't JG's decision to go to a more run dominated offense. 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Part of me wants the Clapper in NY because well, He's the Clapper until proven otherwise. The other part would find it beyond poetic if he took Danny Pesos and the Giants to a SB title before McCarthy does with the Girls!

Here's a tree falling in the woods question for you, though.  If Jason Garrett is clapping up in the booth and there's no one on the sideline to hear him, does it matter?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Here's a tree falling in the woods question for you, though.  If Jason Garrett is clapping up in the booth and there's no one on the sideline to hear him, does it matter?

The only person who claps for Garrett is Garrett so it matters to HIM.

Also if the giants hire this man you might as well write bust on Jones's jersey.