Giants hire Jason Garrett as OC; Freddie Kitchens as TE coach

RaidersAreOne

On 1/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

The MO on Garrett's offense (and his HC) is that he's a very traditional, execution heavy coach. So his teams tend to be fundamentally sound ones. The problem is that he relies on those fundamentals and talent to consistently win matchups and doesn't do anything schematically to put his players in a situation to succeed. They never out perform their talent level. So if the players are getting defended well schematically, or just can't win their matchups, it often grinds to a halt. In this way, I actually think he's a better HC than coordinator candidate. I wouldn't love this hire from the Giants' perspective outside of maybe playing the Wade role and helping a young HC get his legs but I don't think he has the schematic chops to cut it with the innovative offenses spreading through the league.

Most intelligent response to the question by far. Granted there wasn't much competition.

I'm totally neutral on the guy but this was my general impression, which also goes along with the vanilla comments. I don't think he's bad but I doubt he's the answer either. 

I remember he was the guy who turned the Cowboys' offense into this insane Brees level of attempts per game, with Romo. It never really worked that well. 

Truth be told I don't think the Cowboys were ever mediocre under him, just forever ranging in that level of good to not good enough when it really matters. 

That's the feeling he leaves in Dallas, that he never took them that extra step. 

Maybe it's fair, maybe it's devalueing what he achieved there... It is as always a matter of perspective.