Free Agency

showtime

They probably offer a contract to Clowney out of respect, and Id imagine he will sign elsewhere. 

Wouldn't be out of the realm to lowball Woods, see if they can bring him back on cheap. 

Luke probably doesn't come back, along with most of the other vets (Iupati, Geno, CJ, Ansah. Turbo, Jackson etc).

Moore is a RFA. The Original tender isn't going to net Seattle much (7th Round) BUT he really isn't worth the higher tenders. Sneaky Non-Tendor maybe? Or slap an original and watch him be plucked by someone else?

Fant might be someone they try to resign. Pete+Scotty loves that 6th OL look, and Fant is really solid there. Serviceable LT too, good insurance for Duane. But knowing how inflated the tackle market is, some bottom feeder might throw 24 million at Fant.

Ifedi is going to be overpaid by someone, NOT Seattle. 

J Reed is probably gone, unless he takes a 1 year prove it deal with a mid high $ amount. Was pretty invisible this year. Kendricks as well since Barton played ok in his absence. 

Hollister probably gets overpaid by someone else.

Seattle might bring back either Thorpe or King. But Amadi pretty much replaced both players. 

I think Seattles top 2 targets might be Jefferson and Hunt. Seattle only has 4 DL under contract currently (Ford, Green, Collier, Jones). Jefferson was really solid this year, and can play the 5tech and kick down inside. Joey Hunt is a walking pressure, but the staff seems to love him. With Britt's healthy a complete unknown, center is a enigma at this point.

If Seattle is smart here (avoid overpay, wait out FA deadline, focus on cut vets), they could leave 2020 with max comp picks again. Clowney (3rd), Fant/Ifedi (5th), Reed (6th), Hollister (7th), Jefferson (7th) could all net extra 2021 picks. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, showtime said:

There are Seahawks fans that are saying that it's still worth paying Clowney even after he made his statement.

I wouldn't even mind if Seattle gave him that contract. Seattle only has 2 financial commitments beyond 2022 (Wilson, Wagner) and nobody on their rookie contracts is going to command huge extensions. (Carson, Ford, Shaq could be extended within the next year; Shaq being the most $). Clowney is affordable if Seattle can get another crop of 7-8 guys in this draft making the team and contributing in 2020-2021.

Clowney was basically one of the best EDGE rushers in the league last year. I'm usually not for throwing money at free agents, but we have about $55M of cap room (after the Greg Olsen signing and soon to be cut Ed Dickson savings), so whatever. Pay him. Wagner has only got a couple years left anyway. 

Clowney was non-stop double teamed last year because the rest of the DL sucked, and STILL wrecked some teams. Gotta pay him. If we let him walk we have MEGA holes everywhere on the DL unless they feel Greene/Collier (meh) can step up. Reed apparently wants $10M+ per year which I think is a waste.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 3:06 PM, NFL_Announcer said:

Clowney was basically one of the best EDGE rushers in the league last year. I'm usually not for throwing money at free agents, but we have about $55M of cap room (after the Greg Olsen signing and soon to be cut Ed Dickson savings), so whatever. Pay him. Wagner has only got a couple years left anyway. 

Clowney was non-stop double teamed last year because the rest of the DL sucked, and STILL wrecked some teams. Gotta pay him. If we let him walk we have MEGA holes everywhere on the DL unless they feel Greene/Collier (meh) can step up. Reed apparently wants $10M+ per year which I think is a waste.

Yeah, something people forget about Clowney, Seattle played much of the year with Clowney - Ford - Woods - Jefferson as the base DLINE. Really good run plugging unit, but that group is seriously lacking in ability to get to the QB. I think pairing Clowney with a traditional LEO (That was obviously what they were hoping with Ansah, but it never materialized ) and a disruptive tackle next to Ford could really revitalize the pass rush. Green and Collier can play the Jefferson - Jackson role of rotating at the 5 tech and kicking inside on pass rushing downs. 

This is where someone like Fowler or Beasley (Josh Uche????, FREE 'QUEEM???) would make sense in the Bruce Irvin role. Seattle had Kendricks playing that rush backer position until he got hurt. Cody Barton fits better in KJ's role as heir apparent. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Guessing a DIggs trade would center around Seattle's 2nd, 2nd round pick. 

Seattle's 2nd (From KC) and a 5th for Diggs + 4th?

Seems to be the theme of the day. 

What do you think about that trade if it were to happen that way?