Free Agency

showtime

Seahawks re-sign OG Jordan Simmons 

I was super disappointed that we didn't offer him the ERFA tender but very happy to hear we're bringing him back. He's made some spot appearances in the past and looked REALLY good doing it. This is a kid who gives us exceptional depth on the interior with starting potential. 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

Seahawks re-sign OG Jordan Simmons 

I was super disappointed that we didn't offer him the ERFA tender but very happy to hear we're bringing him back. He's made some spot appearances in the past and looked REALLY good doing it. This is a kid who gives us exceptional depth on the interior with starting potential. 

Sample Size is suspect, but Seattle averaged 218 yards rushing in games he started.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure most know this by now, but Seattle reportedly offered Devonta Freeman a contract (1yr/4m) and have been in talks with Carlos Hyde and of course Marshawn Lynch

I think it's telling on two fronts. First, it's readily apparent that Penny will not be available for the first half of the season. Second, it's a clear sign of doubt as to how quickly the incoming rookie class will be ready for NFL action considering this unique offseason. 

TBH, between those 3 backs I named, I think Freeman is the one I'd want the least. He looked absolutely zapped last season and doesn't bring the big-back tenacity that we covet, whereas Hyde and Lynch do. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

And just like that, the Seahawks sign Carlos Hyde to a 1-year deal

Definitely my preferred option of the three backs. He still showed explosive flashes with Houston last year and fits the mold of what we want in a back (big and physical). I'll be curious to see whether we were able to sign him for less than the proposed $4m we offered Freeman. 

I heard Hyde is UP to $4M (so that means incentives). Hyde will be 30 at the start of the season so I think Seattle is just trying to get some insurance behind Carson since Penny wont be ready and Dallas is a rookie. Hyde has an injury history but not that many NFL carries for his age, so maybe he produces. He's coming off his best season where he ran behind a pretty pedestrian line in Houston. Granted he's not going to much better in Seattle (maybe Lewis will pan out). 

I think Freeman at 28 is searching for a 3 year $21M type of a deal, which just doesn't make sense for Seattle to sign.

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, going to throw something out slightly controversial. Seattle's FO probably sees Clowney as a luxury, not a necessity. Probably why they wont commit to him beyond 2020. (Rob Staten would crucify this post if he saw it)

So last year ; after the Collier injury, Seattle was looking at potentially going into 2019 with ZERO LEO's (Cassius Marsh, Jacob Martin and Nate Orchard being the best options there) and role players Quienton Jefferson and Brandon Jackson at the 5 Tech. With 2nd year player Rasheem Green kinda of an afterthought. 

Hence the trade for Clowney, and signing for Ansah. 

NOW, currently Seattle has 3.5 potential LEO's (Taylor, Mayowa, Robinson, Irvin)  ; Rasheem Green definitely set to pick up the bulk of Jeffersons snaps at the 5 tech, and hopefully a fully healthy Collier ready to contribute along with coach fav Brandon Jackson. If Clowney resigned, he would probably take the bulk of his snaps at the 5 tech (a more natural spot for his skill set) Clowney is defiantly a better player, but I feel like Seattle would be fine with heading into 2020 with that group. I'm sure they expect big things from both Green and Collier at the 5 Tech. 

Edited by animaltested

23 hours ago, animaltested said:

NOW, currently Seattle has 3.5 potential LEO's (Taylor, Mayowa, Robinson, Irvin)  ; Rasheem Green definitely set to pick up the bulk of Jeffersons snaps at the 5 tech, and hopefully a fully healthy Collier ready to contribute along with coach fav Brandon Jackson. If Clowney resigned, he would probably take the bulk of his snaps at the 5 tech (a more natural spot for his skill set) Clowney is defiantly a better player, but I feel like Seattle would be fine with heading into 2020 with that group. I'm sure they expect big things from both Green and Collier at the 5 Tech. 

I don't know if it's fair/reasonable to say they expect "big things" from Collier. I'm sure they expect some sort of impact (which is a far cry from what we got last season). Plenty of reasons to expect big things from Green, however. 

The decision to cut Justin Britt tells me that this FO is still very interested in adding a legitimate edge force to lead this otherwise mediocre cast of characters along the DLine. Considering our Super Bowl aspirations, we sure as hell better be looking to improve that unit. I think the reason the team isn't tripping over themselves to sign Clowney is because he is not their only option, and you could argue he's not even their best option. Reports indicate that they continue to monitor the availability of Everson Griffen and Yannick Ngakoue. 

I will be pleasantly surprised if Clowney returns to Seattle, but I will be incredibly disappointed if we don't end up with one of these 3 guys. 

23 hours ago, showtime said:

What's going to happen with Clowney?  I keep seeing the Seahawks as a team he could join, but his situation is really odd.  Even if he came back, would it be for another one year deal?

Sounds like it's down to Seattle, Tennessee, and Cleveland. I think he inevitably signs a 1-year prove it deal and tries to cash-out long-term next offseason. All 3 locations have solid justification. Cleveland is reportedly offering him the most money + would be lining him up opposite of Myles Garrett. He's very familiar with Vrabel in Tennessee, they have a playoff-ready squad, and he'd be close to home. And obviously he has the familiarity in Seattle, loves the FO, and wouldn't have to uproot his life for the 3rd time in a calendar year (plus be on a perennial playoff team, which obviously matters to him considering he shut down mega-money to go to Miami last offseason). 

My guess is he ultimately takes the money + single-teams in Cleveland. I'd predict we end up with Everson Griffen, who reportedly has a great relationship with Pete from their time at USC. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

On 6/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

Sounds like it's down to Seattle, Tennessee, and Cleveland. I think he inevitably signs a 1-year prove it deal and tries to cash-out long-term next offseason. All 3 locations have solid justification. Cleveland is reportedly offering him the most money + would be lining him up opposite of Myles Garrett. He's very familiar with Vrabel in Tennessee, they have a playoff-ready squad, and he'd be close to home. And obviously he has the familiarity in Seattle, loves the FO, and wouldn't have to uproot his life for the 3rd time in a calendar year (plus be on a perennial playoff team, which obviously matters to him considering he shut down mega-money to go to Miami last offseason). 

My guess is he ultimately takes the money + single-teams in Cleveland. I'd predict we end up with Everson Griffen, who reportedly has a great relationship with Pete from their time at USC. 

If going to a playoff team matters to him, why would he go to Cleveland?  They have a lot of talent, but it's going to be tough for them to make the postseason.  Forget the money, which of those three places do you think offers him the best chance to succeed and put up a big year?  You think that's Cleveland, even if they don't make the postseason?

20 hours ago, showtime said:

If going to a playoff team matters to him, why would he go to Cleveland?  They have a lot of talent, but it's going to be tough for them to make the postseason.  Forget the money, which of those three places do you think offers him the best chance to succeed and put up a big year?  You think that's Cleveland, even if they don't make the postseason?

I think that's exactly why he would choose Cleveland. It's the only destination that ensures he won't see the majority of the oppositions double teams due to Myles Garrett being on the other side. Feels like we've been hearing this for years, but with a new coaching staff, the Browns could make some noise this year. 

But you're right; if playoff potential is the end-all be-all, Seattle and Tennessee make a lot more sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 11:54 AM, SaveOurSonics said:

I think that's exactly why he would choose Cleveland. It's the only destination that ensures he won't see the majority of the oppositions double teams due to Myles Garrett being on the other side. Feels like we've been hearing this for years, but with a new coaching staff, the Browns could make some noise this year. 

But you're right; if playoff potential is the end-all be-all, Seattle and Tennessee make a lot more sense. 

Yeah, that makes sense.  Because Myles Garrett would demand more doubles or shifts his way, perhaps that could free Clowney up for a bigger payday in the future.  He played well, especially since he was injured, but the biggest knock on him is his low sack numbers.