Quick 3-round mock draft

Louis Friend

Don't know how the comp picks are going to land and how the last four rounds will land, so I'm only doing the first three rounds for right now.

Detroit Lions trade #3 to the Carolina Panthers for #7 and #38. With Kuechly retiring, I think the Panthers will try to jump the Giants for Isaiah Simmons as their star LB.

#7- Derrick Brown DT Auburn- Explosive. Gets pressure. Makes plays. Put him inside between Snacks and Flowers and let teams decide who they are going to double.

auburn-vs-mercer-football-46844504d50aa6

#35- Kenneth Murray LB Oklahoma- Consensus #2 LB in this draft behind Simmons. Plays sideline to sideline. Kennard-Tavai-Murray with Davis and Jones for depth.

5d70733562b3c.image.jpg

#38- Shane Lemieux, G Oregon- Can start at G right away. Not highly athletic but has raw strength and power. Needs to be coached up. I could see the Lions letting Glasgow walk instead of paying him, cutting Wagner, moving Decker to RT and signing a LT in free agency. Lemieux covers one of the holes while they rearrange the OL. Free agent-Lemieux-Ragnow-Glasgow?-Decker.

shane-lemieux-678x381.jpeg

#67- Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma- Lions go back to Oklahoma to draft a mobile QB to sit behind and learn from Stafford. He's going to be a the Senior Bowl and I think this will help the Lions get extra time to watch him. I think he's great value. Patriots like to draft QBs and let them sit and learn. Could be a trade chip if Stafford ends up playing 5-10 more years. Not likely with his injuries though.

Jalen-Hurts.jpg

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 2

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I love the thought of trading down and still landing Brown. I also can't complain about the positions targeted.

Question: I believe you traded down to #7, but have #10 on the Brown pick. Didn't know if we moved down again.

Good catch. I kept going back and forth about trading down with either Carolina or Cleveland. I could actually see multiple teams willing to move up for different players.

• Like 1

The only problem that I have with this is that I don't expect Murray to be there in Rd 2. If Simmons goes at #3 and Murray is the next best guy, somebody is going to take him middle to end of Rd 1. 

I'm hoping that Hurts has a Dak Prescott like rise where he's a mid-tier guy that vastly outperforms his draft spot. Still not fully convinced on him as a passer. That Oklahoma offense just seems to be like steroids for QB stats. 

I can see Murray as someone that could go mid round 1 to mid round 2 depending on what teams do. While I think he's first round talent, that talent falls sometimes. That is why high day two picks are prime for trades.

Hurts is a guy that I think just makes plays. He has arm strength. You can see the distance he gets on throws but his accuracy is suspect and he doesn't always make the best decisions. That is why I think a year behind a guy like Stafford (who had to learn accuracy) would do wonders for him. The mobility is there. The cannon is there. The adaptation is there. But he needs work.

Edited by Louis Friend

I am starting to like Simmons for us at 3. If Patricia is the guru we are led on to believe, Simmons would be a star in our defense. He just does so many things at a near elite level, while doing some things at an elite level. 

I would love this draft though.. I am all for Hurts. In fact, that is the Qb I want in this draft. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I am starting to like Simmons for us at 3. If Patricia is the guru we are led on to believe, Simmons would be a star in our defense. He just does so many things at a near elite level, while doing some things at an elite level. 

I would love this draft though.. I am all for Hurts. In fact, that is the Qb I want in this draft. 

Agreed. The more I think about it, the more I would love to have Simmons at #3 but I’d also be alright with this scenario. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'm okay with any of Okudah, Simmons, Brown. I think Burrows goes #1 and I'd be absolutely shocked if Chase young doesn't go #2. I wouldn't mind a trade down, as I don' believe there is a clear cut #3, but I'm hoping we focus on defense as so many great defensive pieces are right there for the taking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Honestly I'm okay with any of Okudah, Simmons, Brown. I think Burrows goes #1 and I'd be absolutely shocked if Chase young doesn't go #2. I wouldn't mind a trade down, as I don' believe there is a clear cut #3, but I'm hoping we focus on defense as so many great defensive pieces are right there for the taking.

True. Hoping we plug our OL holes in free agency and focus on D and Jalen Hurts (😊) in the draft.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Absolutely. It's why I'm really thinking that a trade down with the Chargers is best-case scenario: they get Tua (and have a clear incentive to jump Miami for him) and we are guaranteed either Okudah, Brown or Simmons with our pick. It's beautiful.