Bears hire John DeFlippo as QB Coach

.Buzz

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To be fair, there wasn't much upside to having Knox, Hester, and Bennett as his top 3 WRs. lol

You're right, but...I think we'd probably all have a different opinion of Knox if he hadn't gotten hurt. Hester should never have been converted to WR though, and Bennett was too streaky to be more than (pretty much) average. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

✌

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

You're right, but...I think we'd probably all have a different opinion of Know if he hadn't gotten hurt. Hester should never have been converted to WR though, and Bennett was too streaky to be more than (pretty much) average. 

Agreed, I liked Knox. I think Knox could have been a top deep threat in the NFL. DeSean Jackson lite. Never could run a full route tree and maddeningly lazy when needing to highpoint the ball, but he could get behind about anyone. 

Hester to WR was fine to me, him being more than a 4 or maybe a 3 was bad. If we had traded the pick used for Brandon Hardin to trade for Marshall (nd not stupidly trading Olsen) we are looking at - 

X/Z - Marshall - Jeffery

Slots - Knox - Hester

TE - Olsen

That is elite, and Hester could have filled that role well IMO. Knox could take the top off, Hester could be a secondary deep threat and also an under receiver to get in space, and with the safeties keeping deep due to Knox you'd see Marshal, Jeffery, and Olsen feasting in the intermediate. OL would still have been an issue but there is enough talent to still put points up in bunches IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You're right, but...I think we'd probably all have a different opinion of Know if he hadn't gotten hurt. Hester should never have been converted to WR though, and Bennett was too streaky to be more than (pretty much) average. 

I'm of the opinion that if Knox hadn't fell and caused the Cutler broken thumb, they go deep into January & maybe February that year. For that I can never forgive him, so forget his injury: I would've had a different opinion of him had he not fallen over for no reason.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To be fair, there wasn't much upside to having Knox, Hester, and Bennett as his top 3 WRs. lol

He should have used Olsen much more though and would have been better to have been moved to a full-time slot WR than to be traded for a 3rd. I don't think any coach could have made that a 10-15 ranked offense (not counting all the ST TDs of course).

His offensive line was also not very good either. He didn't have a ton of the pieces he needed to execute his offense, and Cutler was not the ideal QB for his scheme. I always thought it was a bad fit. I was always hoping to have Cutler paired with a Shannhan discipline to allow him to maximize his half the field reads. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

His offensive line was also not very good either. He didn't have a ton of the pieces he needed to execute his offense, and Cutler was not the ideal QB for his scheme. I always thought it was a bad fit. I was always hoping to have Cutler paired with a Shannhan discipline to allow him to maximize his half the field reads. 

I've always said, the worst thing that happened to Jay Cutler's career was getting traded to the Chicago Bears.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yet the offense was rolling before Cutler snapped his thumb

I still say his best game as a Bear was that exact Chargers game you referenced. I think we bled the final 9 minutes of the game with a QB who had a broken thumb.

• Like 1