kurgan 2020 mock offseason v.1

kurgan

On 1/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, kurgan said:

Thanks for the write up @Steeler Hitman

I have Rosie on there... I am keeping 4 backs with Rosie, for 5.  One will be inactive on gameday.

I understand the issues with Safety, and I have been in the camp of trying to keep Sean Davis.  I would love him as a backup/slot guy BUT, I think it is going to be his decision to leave.  I mean, we have been jerking him around for years on position and PT, and I think the Minkah trade he can take as a slap in the face.  I would love to have him back.

I cannot see us having enough money to sign any FA Safety unless we start chopping more people.

Not a top tier player, but perhaps some solid depth guys. If not, you have to draft someone who can provide some potential depth. It will be Davis choice, but hopefully he canstay around for some depth.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I have a hard time seeing Switzer being on the roster next year. What value does he bring? Below average kick returner and averaged 3 YPC last year. I’m personally surprised he was still on the roster at the end of this season. Think our receivers will be JuJu, DJ, JW, Cain, and a new guy (draft pick/free agent).

Agreed. I thought Switzer had some potential to be a good return man and receiver.  His hands are consistent on catching punts which is big, but he offers virtually nothing in returns. And as you said his receiving YPC is horrible.  I like the young guys, but I think thay also offer more. Perhaps draft a return guy or sign an undrafted free agent and let him compete.

Even with our cap situation I have a hard time seeing us bring in zero outside free agents. 

I don't see them making a huge splash, but I think that they try to shore up some positions like OL or DL, especially if they let Hargrave and Foster walk.  

With Hargrave gone I doubt we cut Alualu. He had a great season and especially with Heyward/Tuitt’s injury history he’s invaluable depth and creates another need that can’t be filled with a much cheaper option.

I like Tyson and he had a great  year, but that salary, while not huge, is fairly big.  Grouping some of these cuts and salary  restructuring will help.    The Steelers do have Bugss and Walton at DE. They only have McCullers behind Hargraves. They must sign a starting caliber NG/DT or two. If they had money under the cap, I wouldn't consider it. In a perfect world, maybe they could restructure or he come back for less,, but most players take the money from someone else and move on.

I personally think we give Dupree a contract instead of tagging him. The Steelers have invested so much time into Dupree and stuck by him while he was average/below average. They will chalk up his delayed breakout to coaching and being healthy. Tagging him will be last resort.

I agree.

In regards to Foster, does anyone think we can flip him to an OL needy team for a late draft pick like we did with Gilbert last year? He may be getting older but would be a huge upgrade to a lot of teams and provide some veteran leadership.

I don't see that happening because he is not under contract (free agent).  If they want him, they can negotiate and sign him without any compensation (late draft pick).  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of moving Banner inside at LG. 

Also, I prefer Thad Moss to Kmet.

Moss definitely would bring a receiving element that the team hasn't had in quite a while.

Great work on this though, appreciate you putting the time in and it helped me get a better understanding of where we stand/what our options are heading into the off-season. 

From playing around with some mocks, if they do not grab a TE early, it just sucks.  And the TEs suck so it becomes doubly disappointing.

I would almost want to see them get a IOL first as they will be almost a starter right off the bad with the talent level you can get.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

From playing around with some mocks, if they do not grab a TE early, it just sucks.  And the TEs suck so it becomes doubly disappointing.

I would almost want to see them get a IOL first as they will be almost a starter right off the bad with the talent level you can get.

I'm looking at Cushenberry with the 2nd pick.  Let him play OG till Pouncey leaves.  As we spoke about before, if a TE isn't taken with the first pick, Parkinson would be an Ok (tho not stellar) 3rd-4th pick. Still really like Octavious Cooley. 

53 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'm looking at Cushenberry with the 2nd pick.  Let him play OG till Pouncey leaves.  As we spoke about before, if a TE isn't taken with the first pick, Parkinson would be an Ok (tho not stellar) 3rd-4th pick. Still really like Octavious Cooley. 

Cushenberry?  i look at him in the 4th  I am looking at Biadasz and Hunt.  They could get Nick Harris if they think he fits their style.  Any of those 3 would be very good.  Hunt would start immediately

Just now, jebrick said:

Cushenberry?  i look at him in the 4th  I am looking at Biadasz and Hunt.  They could get Nick Harris if they think he fits their style.  Any of those 3 would be very good.  Hunt would start immediately

2nd pick being the 3rd Rd Comp which will be in the 100s.  Harris will take their 1st pick (if he lasts).  I think Biadasz will be gone.  Don't know much about Hunt.  Will have to research. 

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Yes.  This draft is so loaded with OTs and CBs that Hunt may fall.

There's definitely a chance he'll fall. I just looked at his profile on draft network and he looks good. He's low on their lists, though. But that speaks to the depth of this draft. I hope we come away with some new IOL in this one. May as well grab one or two since there are so many. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

50 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

There's definitely a chance he'll fall. I just looked at his profile on draft network and he looks good. He's low on their lists, though. But that speaks to the depth of this draft. I hope we come away with some new IOL in this one. May as well grab one or two since there are so many. 

That's my go to spot for analysis (besides here of course) and they have him ranked the 276 prospect overall.  Obviously @jebrick has a much different assessment. I'm interested in looking into further.