2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

EDC is close with the Jag's FO, and he's also close with Yanny's agent. They have a need at Tight End and wanted Hayden. Hurst would obviously enjoy being back home on some level I'm sure too. 

Sticking points are Judon, us being willing to pay Ngakoue(possibly 22 M+), and our overall comfort level with the compensation trade off.

If we're serious about getting a proven pass rusher this is one of the few opportunities. He's turning 25 in March, still an ascending player, and has proven himself to be a legit pressure talent/threat. Lingering injuries helped facilitate a down year for him in 2019, but he should flourish once more- now healthy and constantly playing with big leads courtesy of Lamar Jackson and our offense.

We got by for years by paying one great pass rusher(Suggs). While simultaneously hitting on draft picks and bargain FAs around him. We can do the same with(if) whoever we end up with out of Ngakoue or Clowney.

Edited by DreamKid

I'm fine with letting Smith walk. He's still good but the team needs to save some cap to invest in other areas of the team. They have a ton tied up in the secondary and that's without a new deal for Humphrey.

Young should be back 100% from the neck injury. We just have to hope something else doesn't happen. Drafting someone at the position with a fairly decent pick is still a good idea too. That could be a yearly practice and I'd be fine with it. 

• Like 1

I really like Carr, but I can't see him doing anything Jimmy can't do better. I also think Jimmy had a great year after we got him back last year, and he should essentially be our 4th cornerback and we would have very little drop off. I can't see a reason not to give him a 2 year deal and secure that position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I can't see a reason not to give him a 2 year deal and secure that position. 

That's clearly what we want to do, but he wants something long term apparently. Can't blame the FO for not being on board with that atm. They have to plan carefully around when contracts like Lamar and Marlon's will hit.

I'd love to have Jimmy back, and hopefully when he tests the market he's sees we're still his best option. Though there's also the issue of playing time. With Tavon back healthy, Marlon will return to where he's strongest on the outside and we know Peters will be outside as well. That makes Jimmy a bench player. He can play Safety in the way Carr did on pure passing downs or something(When Clark shifts down to LB)- but who knows if he wants to do that? Or if we'd even want him to? I'd prefer to have a true Safety back there honestly.

He's still a Top 15 CB on an average day and can hold his own against the league's top WRs on his best days. Asking him to take less than another team is willing to give and ride the bench might not sound all that great to player who already has a ring and knows he's remaining years in the league are limited. IDK, I'm less optimistic about keeping him than I was before.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

Yeah, I love Jimmy but if he wants some crazy 4 year deal he's smoking dope. I think the Ravens should offer him a 2 year deal or a 2 year + 3rd year option sort of deal. I hope they find a way to get the deal done. But as stated, it doesn't look good and I'm salty.

2 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Yeah, I love Jimmy but if he wants some crazy 4 year deal he's smoking dope. I think the Ravens should offer him a 2 year deal or a 2 year + 3rd year option sort of deal. I hope they find a way to get the deal done. But as stated, it doesn't look good and I'm salty.

This is where I am at as well. Now while Jimmy might be a bench player as the 4th cornerback, he will essentially be a 30 snap a game player with how we play nickel and dime packages, plus he will be a more than solid starter if either Peters or Humphrey went down with injury.

We lost Tavon Young, Jefferson and Elliot last year but beyond that we were really healthy and we rely on being able to defend with our secondary, so unless he asks for something stupid, I think we should try to extend him for years.

I am pretty certain EDC talked about a one year deal

• Like 1

Saw in the NFL News forum that the rumor is that the Jags are looking for a 2nd + 3rd rounder for Ngakoue. 

If this transpired, how would you feel?

We get Ngakoue from the Jags for Hayden Hurst and a 3rd rounder.

We tag and trade Judon for a 3rd and 4th round pick. 

So we come out of all of this having lost Judon and Hurst while gaining Ngakoue (+ big extension) and a 4th rounder. Would likely dip into the FA market for a rotational TE to replace Hurst, on a market that will include options like Eric Ebron or Jacob Hollister (probably too expensive but wouldn't be surprised to see us spend real $$$ to replace Hurst), and then real rotational guys like Darren Fells, Nick Vannett, Blake Jarwin, or Ross Dwelley. 

I have to imagine we're in the mix for Ngakoue and if a deal does get done I'd be shocked if Hurst isn't involved. Worth considering. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Saw in the NFL News forum that the rumor is that the Jags are looking for a 2nd + 3rd rounder for Ngakoue. 

If this transpired, how would you feel?

We get Ngakoue from the Jags for Hayden Hurst and a 3rd rounder.

We tag and trade Judon for a 3rd and 4th round pick. 

So we come out of all of this having lost Judon and Hurst while gaining Ngakoue (+ big extension) and a 4th rounder. 

Would cry tears of joy tbh

Even though I really like Hayden, I honestly don't like Judon. Like at all really. Player or person.

If we swung that trade, and took the BPA front-7 player in the first round - be it Dline, LB, or EDGE - all of a sudden our front 7 is just a piece or two away from being completely retooled, and I think we all agree that's this team's main priority this offseason.

We could then use the fourth rounders we have to get IOL and WR

I'm less excited than most about trading assets for Ngakoue, paying him superstar passer money, and projecting him to be be able to play like a star in our front-7, which isn't that talented and asks for a lot of different roles he may not have had to do as much before. 

I'd prefer:

1. Paying Clowney superstar money

2. Living with Judon on the tag for a year and continuing to develop

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm less excited than most about trading assets for Ngakoue, paying him superstar passer money, and projecting him to be be able to play like a star in our front-7, which isn't that talented and asks for a lot of different roles he may not have had to do as much before. 

I'd prefer:

1. Paying Clowney superstar money

2. Living with Judon on the tag for a year and continuing to develop

I understand preferring Clowney to Ngakoue (though I'm honestly not sure whether I agree; Clowney's injuries scare me) but I don't understand how our front 7 not having a ton of talent is a great argument for preferring the significantly older and less talented option just to save a negligible amount of money cap-wise. 

14 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I understand preferring Clowney to Ngakoue (though I'm honestly not sure whether I agree; Clowney's injuries scare me) but I don't understand how our front 7 not having a ton of talent is a great argument for preferring the significantly older and less talented option just to save a negligible amount of money cap-wise. 

Notice that I did not say give Judon a long term star pass rusher contract. I said tag him for a year and then move on, so age won't be a factor. I think it'd be a bad move to give either him or Yannick a market value contract. I guess I don't view Yannick as a level above Judon and others here do. Wouldn't move Red Thor for that swap, for sure. I wouldn't even offer the contract he gets (guessing 5 year 19M per) if he was an UFA.

15 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Notice that I did not say give Judon a long term star pass rusher contract. I said tag him for a year and then move on, so age won't be a factor. I think it'd be a bad move to give either him or Yannick a market value contract. I guess I don't view Yannick as a level above Judon and others here do. Wouldn't move Red Thor for that swap, for sure. I wouldn't even offer the contract he gets (guessing 5 year 19M per) if he was an UFA.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. To me Ngakoue has basically been basically more productive than Judon the past 2 years despite playing for a dead franchise. And he flashed All-Pro ability the last time he played on a team that had a pulse and was more engaged. We've got 2 or 3 more years before we have to give Lamar a mega-extension so even if it's just one year of the franchise tag with Judon that's a significant investment to me in terms of clogging our cap with that in one of limited years of flexibility. If that's the only option out there then it's unfortunately better than nothing, but I think Ngakoue is the kind of guy that's worth breaking the bank for - young, star-level production at a premium position. If there's a hidden Zardarius Smith-level leap in any of the FA's this offseason I think it's this guy, and I'd love to see what Wink can do with this defense if he has both an elite secondary and a legit pass rusher. 

I'm also not as high on Hurst as most of you I think, so that plays a part. 

• Like 1