2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

28 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s just the thing, while I think it will be true for this season now... it’s only because the lost time new players will likely receive. But the way I see it a veteran like Judon is just going to stockblock playing time away from the rookie because he’s so entrenched. Now said play will he left competing for scraps with Ferguson and Bowser.

Conversely I think all things equal (normal offseason expected), I think Bowser would upgrade Judon’s pass rushing centric role, while Baun would be a legit pass rushing threat while YGM would be a better edge setter than any player we have and in his scenario he would replace Judon with similar pass rush ability with superior edge setting.

But alas things won’t be equal and said rookies will likely be struggling to get down the playbook and preferred techniques in such a short time. That said, it’ll likely be a similar offseason to what Jimmy and Torrey Smith experienced given that 2011 lockout. So the good thing is Harbaugh having experiences something SOMEWHAT similar, he should have a plan in place with making sure our new crop of rookies get up to speed as quickly as possible. Only thing is apparently Wink’s system is more complicated than what we were running back then if all the notions about how difficult it is a defense to pickup are to be believed. Targeting a specialized player and really just introducing them to that aspect while slowing building onto their expectations will be key.

The one thing I think this take is missing is that it assumes we would have our pick of those players when #28 rolls around (if we don't trade up). One thing shedding Judon before the draft would do is increase risk headed into the draft, both by raising the likelihood we end R1 with neither Judon nor one of the EDGE guys in this draft as well as by signaling to every other team an even stronger need at EDGE.

Sidenote, but I hope Edgar Allen or someone along those lines does a film deep dive on Bowser's 2019 season soon. I feel like I just don't have a great handle on how impactful he is or isn't out there, would be great to dig deeper on it. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

11 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

What’s your guys take on Bynes? Didn’t really pay much attention to him last year. 

Surprisingly solid - he even dropped back in coverage well. Most fans wanted him back. 

Seems odd. I doubt the Bengals gave him a ton of money. so why not come back? Meh.

Whoa.

12 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

What’s your guys take on Bynes? Didn’t really pay much attention to him last year. 

I am a little biased as I liked him back when he was a Auburn - described as an unathletic 2-down thumper with great leadership skills coming into the draft, he has been exactly that for all of his career. His first stint with the Ravens he had some decent games, but played mostly as a backup and special teamer, also mostly known for making the final tackle on special teams in our super bowl win.

Then he had a couple of good seasons with the Lions and a short stint with the Cardinals.

Last year we had tremendous trouble with our linebackers not being able to read, communicate and play their assignments/gaps. Bynes came in prior to the Steelers game and on a short week became the starting inside linebacker on our defense and played better than all of our young athletic linebackers. His limited upside is what hurts him, his leadership, knowledge of the game and making sound decisions and reading the plays well is what keeps him in the league.

I would have preferred the Ravens found a way to bring him back.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Sidenote, but I hope Edgar Allen or someone along those lines does a film deep dive on Bowser's 2019 season soon. I feel like I just don't have a great handle on how impactful he is or isn't out there, would be great to dig deeper on it. 

Not Edgar, but here's my quick summary-

- 20+ pressures, more than his first two seasons combined. Strong rate for his snap total. 

- Pretty much flawless in coverage- as expected. I'd say he was responsible for 10+ more pressures, just by way of eliminating options for the QB. Different from Judon he's not just a diversion or decoy piece. He legitimately can stay in phase with pass catchers.

- Much improved against the run, flashed plus ability against outside concepts where he could use his athleticism to disrupt the play.

- Mental game took a big leap in Year 3 too. No penalties outside of BS RTP against the Texans. And Harbaugh went out of his way to compliment Bowser's intelligence and command of the defense. Which I don't think anyone saw coming.

It was a great year from Bowser in 2019. He was a more diverse and heady rusher. He's not rushing past the QB anymore, he's developed a pretty good rip move, speed to power is still there. He's strong on stunts and interior blitzes. When given time, he just produces. It's hard to even find an area to really critique him. He's still improving against the rush, obviously. His only really ? play in that department was a weird contain of Derrick Henry in the Playoff game, which he then followed up with stride for stride coverage of Corey Davis to end their offensive series. 

For his first real taste of playing time, Tyus didn't disappoint. Outside of my opinion, PFF graded him as our best player at EDGE(Judon 70.4, Bowser 70.5).

Bowser did what we wanted. Took his Year 1 & 2 flashes and translated it over to a much bigger workload in 2019. He's turned into a smart, confident, reliable player that we can safely field and expect splash plays from. Just scratching the surface too. He's 24(Same age as Jaylon Ferguson), and hasn't had much playing time. Monster well of athleticism to dig progression out of as well. If he gets an even bigger workload in 2020, I think he'll hit or break the 10 Sack mark on a strong win/pressure rate. 

Here's a video Edgar did do on him from 2019-

5 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

Am I the only one who would love Caesar Ruiz at 28?? I think the kid is a slam dunk,  we need a stud in the interior of that line!! 

I think the FO will be high on him regardless, but it sounds like the coaches at Michigan were blown away by his Football IQ at such a young age and at such an important position(Center).

16 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's basically the deal he got last year as well, isn't it?

Tampa Bay gave him $4 million last year, the entirety guaranteed. To me it's more surprising he got this much money this offseason given how the wide receiver market has been.