2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

55 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

In the past, it seems like we’ve had some veterans take less money to play for our organization. With some key free agents still sitting out there, what veterans do you think would fit well with our team and maybe be willing to take under market value, and possibly rotational spots to join our team?

There's plenty of vet edge rushers available that I have to think we look at if we don't pick one high in the draft. 

I also think I vet TE might be possible

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

There's plenty of vet edge rushers available that I have to think we look at if we don't pick one high in the draft. 

I also think I vet TE might be possible

I'd like to go TE in the draft tbh. I want to see TE's grow with Lamar. Not sure how a FA pickup would mesh with Lamar. I could be over thinking it but Lamar brings a unique set of skills and sometimes releases the ball in completely odd ways. 

Again, these guys are professional athletes and could probably adjust fast and I'm obviously just overthinking it. 

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

In the past, it seems like we’ve had some veterans take less money to play for our organization. With some key free agents still sitting out there, what veterans do you think would fit well with our team and maybe be willing to take under market value, and possibly rotational spots to join our team?

Clay Matthews is near the top of the list. I'd also be open to bring Sizz back on a vet minimum deal. 

36 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'd like to go TE in the draft tbh. I want to see TE's grow with Lamar. Not sure how a FA pickup would mesh with Lamar. I could be over thinking it but Lamar brings a unique set of skills and sometimes releases the ball in completely odd ways. 

Again, these guys are professional athletes and could probably adjust fast and I'm obviously just overthinking it. 

I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on Delaney Walker at a vet minimum. Could be a pretty solid 3rd option

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Clay Matthews is near the top of the list. I'd also be open to bring Sizz back on a vet minimum deal. 

Sizz is a borderline HOFer who has made some decent money. I think you got to give him at least a couple million to entice him to play. 

57 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Sizz is a borderline HOFer who has made some decent money. I think you got to give him at least a couple million to entice him to play. 

Yea sizz would get more than the vet min. Honestly the only way I see him playing this year is with KC or us and KC doesn’t have the money 

On 4/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I’d bet teams are just waiting until June to sign those guys so it doesn’t count against the cap formula.

Sizzle’s deal was voided. He’s not a comp pick eligible guy unless I’m mistaken 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, sp6488 said:

Sizzle’s deal was voided. He’s not a comp pick eligible guy unless I’m mistaken 

True. That and waiting until after the draft. If teams miss out players can demand more money. If teams don’t miss out then they have little need for these veterans to the same degree. There’s no incentive for either side at this point in a case like Suggs.

Unless the team trades Judon of course, in which case than perhaps the incentive might be to make sure the team has some more depth at the spot so as not to have to reach... but even then similar to the situation with James Hurst. Suggs knows the playbook and I’m sure for Suggs the only organization he’s going to go back to at this point will be the Ravens... so they can both choose to draw this out as long as they need to; Suggs to make a retirement decision and the Ravens to make the decision to completely move on from him with better younger options or not... due to a hole at the position that his skillset could fill.

So random thought based off a comment from @sp6488 in the draft thread. But with so much scouting involved without personal visits for teams to sort of “creep on” (perhaps “stalk” might make more sense for the non American lexicon of speech... not sure if that’s a global term), teams might not have an ideal guestimate on what other teams are thinking with regard to another prospect and his evaluation/ranking on their board.

So I could see a lot more “wonky” trades where a team is trading up for a guy we all stop and say “hmm... did they really need to go up that high for him?” Because they might really covet that guy and aren’t sure if another team also covets that player.

• Like 2

I also look forward to this “experiment”, and the team covering the draft will most likely/hopefully put som emhasis on this situation. I don’t think we should expect anything from Booger, but DJ might have some insight to teams approach.

The usual reach/steal analysis might also have to take a backseat due to teams operating more in the blind than usual. 

Well, maybe or maybe not. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/matt-rhule-has-found-upside-to-working-without-distractions/

Rhule told Albert Breer of SI.com that working remotely has forced the Panthers coaches and scouts to focus on the work alone, allowing them to prepare without distractions. They’ve had regular meetings with General Manager Marty Hurney and the scouting staff, thanks to the groundwork laid by the team’s IT department.

“What ends up happening is you just have really focused time, where nobody’s walking in and saying, ‘Hey, Matt, I need to talk to you for a second.’ Or, ‘Hey, Marty, I need to talk to you for a second.’ We’re just all locked in on this computer screen for hours at a time.”

“I could see this changing everything for us,” one NFC exec told Breer. “It allows you to be more efficient, you’re saving money, and honestly our meetings have been better than ever before. There’s not as much bull—-.”

So teams could be even more prepared than usual, albeit without the more in-person stuff like visits and interviews. I'm not sure exactly how much that matters when evaluating talent though. That's all done with tape review. I'm guessing there isn't going to be much of a difference.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Well, maybe or maybe not. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/matt-rhule-has-found-upside-to-working-without-distractions/

So teams could be even more prepared than usual, albeit without the more in-person stuff like visits and interviews. I'm not sure exactly how much that matters when evaluating talent though. That's all done with tape review. I'm guessing there isn't going to be much of a difference.

Yeah they might be more prepared than usual, but prepared as in “their agenda” IMO. So if they’ve noticed some D2 OT they believe could be a really good player, they might trade up for him into the 3rd round wondering if other teams similarly have seen how talented that guy is.

Whereas normally they might creep on other teams player visits to try and determine a “picture” as to a) particular players they might covet b) the kind of prospects they might covet for this new version of their team and c) what type of local talent they’ve pegged as worth looking into so as to poach (if your scout departments haven’t been as extensively engaged in those respective regions).

On 4/9/2020 at 1:03 PM, coordinator0 said:

I don't know man, the current #32 compensatory cutoff is a deal of $4 million (B.J. Finney). It's probably safe to assume it's just Pierce counting this year.

Worth noting that this has crept down and is now a deal of $2.25M (Andrew Sendejo). Peanut and even more likely Bynes may never qualify, but it's looking much more possible than a couple of days ago.