2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

34 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I’m sure if we had a handshake deal in place with him that spot has since been taken on by DJ Fluker. Really loved his versatility for us, seemed like a good dude too, hopefully he does well with them.

Good for him. Kind of surprised any team signed him with the four-game suspension. That said, if you're thin at OL, then it's kind of nice to have him not count against the 53 for four weeks, then come in at week 5. Only need to make the decision to axe a guy from the roster then and there may be an injury that makes it not necessary.

Like you said, db, we have too many bodies there now, I think.

On the OL front, I will be interested to see how the new gameday roster rules effect things. I could see us having a more pure LT from the PS active as the emergency left tackle with one of our many IOL guys inactive, despite being protected via the 53.Could be a way that a savvy team uses the rules to their advantage (not needing to roster a low-level JAG just to have a size/shape fit at the position as insurance), focus scarce draft/roster resources on guys who provide plus-value.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

DeAnthony Thomas opted out of the season this due to Covid. He’ll make 150,000 for the season. Probably a good business decision for him. Take the guaranteed money

Yea, he was a dead man walking as far as the 53, barring injury/ineffectiveness for a couple of guys, of course.

the ability to activate PS guys really hurts guys like Thomas in particular IMO. the ability to stash a replacement level returner on the PS (in case guys like Hill/Duvernay/Proche can’t go in a given week) and not worry about a 53-man spot dedicated to a kick returner  really hurts the non-spectacular returner only types. 

Edited by sp6488

Came in to write the exact same sentiment. There are options at returner who might bring the same or just 10% less than Thomas, and with how we might need to carry extra linemen and QB's, he became expendable.

Andre Smith also opted out today. Also probably a good business decision for him. I would assumed flicker would be first in line to kick outside if we needed another tackle. I would guess Phillips would be the next. Possibly Mekari since he has experience there in college? My question is if stanley got hurt, would Brown slide over?, or just leave him in the right side.

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Andre Smith also opted out today. Also probably a good business decision for him. I would assumed flicker would be first in line to kick outside if we needed another tackle. I would guess Phillips would be the next. Possibly Mekari since he has experience there in college? My question is if stanley got hurt, would Brown slide over?, or just leave him in the right side.

I don't think DAT leaving really hurts us, but Smith is a more painful loss IMO. Yes Fluker played some RT in his first couple years, but Smith was really our only pure OT backup. 

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

If it was a smaller injury that only lasted somewhere from the rest of that game to 2 games tops, id fully expect to see Phillips at LT and for them to keep Brown at RT...Phillips played LT in the SEC last year and the staff has shown they like to keep as much consistency as possible over the past few yrs when there’s an OL injury...would prob see Phillips over there with Boyle helping him out a good amount

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Phillips played LT in the SEC last year and the staff has shown they like to keep as much consistency as possible over the past few yrs when there’s an OL injury

Yea, Harbaugh has stated he doesn't like creating change at an additional position to potentially remedy an issue elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

If it was a smaller injury that only lasted somewhere from the rest of that game to 2 games tops, id fully expect to see Phillips at LT and for them to keep Brown at RT...Phillips played LT in the SEC last year and the staff has shown they like to keep as much consistency as possible over the past few yrs when there’s an OL injury...would prob see Phillips over there with Boyle helping him out a good amount

I’m sure the team will keep a size and shape fit for LT on the PS for this reason. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, Ray Reed said:

On 7/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, DreamKid said:

Yea, Harbaugh has stated he doesn't like creating change at an additional position to potentially remedy an issue elsewhere.

Agreed. Depending on how the center job plays out, I could see Mekari seeing some more snaps at LT as an emergency 2nd/3rd option. Have to imagine that Mekari would currently be more trusted by a Harbaugh coaching staff above Philips to protect Lamar’s blindside, but obviously Philips certainly has the more ideal size and length. Its just a matter of knowledge of playbook and consistency in technique at this point.

59 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Daylon Mack getting cut is definitely a surprise.

He was pretty bad last year, on obviously limited reps and during his rookie year, but it is somewhat surprising. I'm sure Alaka and Madubuike are a little down now that their college teammate got axed too.

Wink's scheme and the changing nature of modern defenses is going to continue to push teams to go light on DIs. Along with other moves, drafting Madubuike and Broderick Washington definitely made Mack expendable. Zach Sieler actually flashed for us and almost won the job from Wormley early, and EDC still pushed him off to the practice squad. Going forward we should expect more of the same. If a Rounds 4-7/UDFA DI isn't in a larger contributing role by Year 2, the chances of them being cut are exponentially higher than they would've been in the past.