2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

18 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, pretty strong signs that he pulled a 2019 Michael Pierce offseason.

What’s really bizarre is why wouldn’t he just opt out for the season for Covid-19. Would’ve at least allowed him a year to get back in shape while still getting paid something. Teams use the IR to redshirt talent all the time, I would have no shame in using said maneuvers to “redshirt” myself if I was in the process of screwing up my opportunity.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:28 AM, diamondbull424 said:

What’s really bizarre is why wouldn’t he just opt out for the season for Covid-19. Would’ve at least allowed him a year to get back in shape while still getting paid something. Teams use the IR to redshirt talent all the time, I would have no shame in using said maneuvers to “redshirt” myself if I was in the process of screwing up my opportunity.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can just lie and say you had COVID to opt out because you're not in shape. Otherwise, if you could, yeah that would've been a smart thing to do. This is assuming he's smart though.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can just lie and say you had COVID to opt out because you're not in shape. Otherwise, if you could, yeah that would've been a smart thing to do. This is assuming he's smart though.

No, you don't have to have COVID to opt out. You don't need any reason and can just say you are doing it out of caution. 

Not many players did it because losing a year away from football is a huge setback at any stage of your career. But yea, if you knew you were going to flunk out and embarrass yourself it might have been an option.

Just now, wackywabbit said:

No, you don't have to have COVID to opt out. You don't need any reason and can just say you are doing it out of caution. 

Not many players did it because losing a year away from football is a huge setback at any stage of your career. But yea, if you knew you were going to flunk out and embarrass yourself it might have been an option.

DUH. Of course, what was I thinking...lol completely misread his statement.

In that case, yeah he should've just put out a PR saying family concerns or whatever, then took the year off to get in shape. Easy.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Exactly. I mean its not like he was a rookie, he had to know what the conditioning test was all about and if he didn’t think he could pass it or even get close, then opting out would’ve been in his best favor. Though, he also likely didn’t anticipate that they would get rid of a draft pick from the previous season. With his sacrifice however future big men along the line will surely get the memo... being a draft pick guarantees you nothing. Broderick Washington and Justin Maduibuike will surely be on notice from this point forward.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

DUH. Of course, what was I thinking...lol completely misread his statement.

In that case, yeah he should've just put out a PR saying family concerns or whatever, then took the year off to get in shape. Easy.

Yup. What’s more he’s got a built in excuse as a 330+ lbs human. Those guys are going to be in the high risk category for COVID-19. I’m sure Michael Pierce opting out probably was partly due to COVID concerns but partly to do with being out of shape again. Might as well get paid a six figure salary if you’re going to be too lazy to get in shape.

EDIT: Speaking of Pierce, I can’t hate... dude got a signing bonus of what $2.5m or so and is now getting 300k for severe asthma. He’s getting paid $3m this season to sit home and root for the Ravens. 😎 

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

EDIT: Speaking of Pierce, I can’t hate... dude got a signing bonus of what $2.5m or so and is now getting 300k for severe asthma. He’s getting paid $3m this season to sit home and root for the Ravens. 😎 

My man is probably breaking down film trying to help EDC pick the guy they're going to take with his comp pick ;) 

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

My man is probably breaking down film trying to help EDC pick the guy they're going to take with his comp pick ;) 

Yup. He and Eric Weddle are our part time west coast scouts. CJ Mosley can man the east side since he’s been taking the last two seasons off as well.