2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

There's a funny post in the Steelers section(Clowney thread) where one of their fans hits on a great point I frequently bring up. The NFL is an arms race. By us acquiring Calais, another team didn't. Which means we won't have to play against him(An elite run defender and Top 5 pass rushing DI). The same goes for Clowney. Dude is a beast, go watch our line contend with him in our game against the Seahawks last season. He's another Elite run defender whose overall disruption requires schematic attention. If we don't sign him, another team will. And it will be harder to have success vs their front as a result. Said Steeler fan realized it might be a good idea for the Steelers to get Clowney,....just so we don't 😆

@diamondbull424 Good points. Clowney could be avoiding camp, at least he's still putting in the work though(by all appearances). No Michael Pierce surprises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

There's a funny post in the Steelers section(Clowney thread) where one of their fans hits on a great point I frequently bring up. The NFL is an arms race. By us acquiring Calais, another team didn't. Which means we won't have to play against him(An elite run defender and Top 5 pass rushing DI). The same goes for Clowney. Dude is a beast, go watch our line contend with him in our game against the Seahawks last season. He's another Elite run defender whose overall disruption requires schematic attention. If we don't sign him, another team will. And it will be harder to have success vs their front as a result. Said Steeler fan realized it might be a good idea for the Steelers to get Clowney,....just so we don't 😆

@diamondbull424 Good points. Clowney could be avoiding camp, at least he's still putting in the work though(by all appearances). No Michael Pierce surprises. 

That’s all good to hear then. I was only mildly concerned about the idea of work ethic. It’s something that was flagged for him coming out of college, though I’ve always felt it difficult to imagine someone could play so hard on the field and yet be lazy off it.

I suppose a more concerning issue, for if we do sign Clowney, would be him picking up our defense. My hope is that the Texans defense he played within might possess some similarities to our defense considering they both have their influences from the Belichick school; theirs from Romeo Crennel and ours from Darth Pees. Even though Wink took over since he’s just a more aggressive version of that format, I’d hope that if Clowney joined it might possess some schematic familiarities for him.

But it’s still a concern for me. Many defenders have spoken about the complexities of the defense compared to some other stops. So I don’t think there’s any hope of Clowney being on the same page as everyone early.

Anyways I definitely agree with you. It’s definitely an arms race and the idea of the Browns or Steelers getting him would be frustrating; even other AFC contenders like TEN, NE, or KC getting him would also be annoying. The only teams I’m cool with him signing with are us (of course) and the Seahawks... because while I don’t have a second team, I definitely wouldn’t be against rooting for Wilson getting a ring. Either way I can’t imagine he doesn’t make a decision within the next week, once teams cut down to their 53 man rosters. Crazy that the season is almost upon us.

First post is fully updated for those that want to take a look. Here's the current roster breakdown: 

-----

QB: Lamar Jackson / Robert Griffin III / Trace McSorley / Tyler Huntley

RB: Mark Ingram / JK Dobbins / Gus Edwards / Justice Hill / Kenjon Barner / Ty'Son Williams

FB: Patrick Ricard

WR: Marquise Brown / Miles Boykin / Willie Snead / Devin Duvernay / James Proche / Jaleel Scott / Chris Moore / Jaylon Moore

TE: Nick Boyle / Mark Andrews / Charles Scarff / Eli Wolf / Jerell Adams

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Orlando Brown / Will Holden 

OG: Bradley Bozeman / DJ Fluker / Tyre Phillips / Ben Powers / Ben Bredeson / Parker Ehringer

OC: Matt Skura / Patrick Mekari / Trystan Colon-Castillo

-----

DL: Brandon Williams / Calais Campbell / Derek Wolfe / Justin Madubuike / Broderick Washington Jr. / Justin Ellis / Aaron Crawford

OLB: Matthew Judon / Jaylon Ferguson / Tyus Bowser / Pernell McPhee / Jihad Ward / Aaron Adeoye / Chauncey Rivers / Marcus Willoughby

ILB: Patrick Queen / Malik Harrison / L.J. Fort / Anthony Levine / Chris Board / Otaro Alaka / Kristian Welch

CB: Marlon Humphrey / Marcus Peters / Jimmy Smith / Tavon Young / Anthony Averett / Terrell Bonds / Khalil Dorsey / Josh Nurse

S: Chuck Clark / Deshon Elliot / Geno Stone / Jordan Richards / Nigel Warrior

-----

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch / Johnny Townsend

LS: Morgan Cox / Nick Moore

• Like 1

So there's 76 players currently on the roster. This year teams are allowed to have 16 players on the practice squad and active roster sizes were already going up to 55. That means the Ravens are really only going to begetting rid of 5 players in the next couple of days. Maybe a couple more if attractive options are released elsewhere. I don't have a lot of hope of the team being able to pick up a decent veteran at a position of true need though. Left tackle and safety are fairly hard to find unless it's something way out of the ordinary like what happened with Earl. 

Yeah the rumors say he signs with the Saints for $10m and has had many discussions with Sean Payton.

Titans were mad that they couldn’t get him on the phone and most in NFL Gen tried to make it out like he just didn’t care about football because of that. I almost posted something along the lines of “are we sure he just doesn’t want to play for these teams he’s not been responding to?” But there’s been a lot more bullying vs debating going on via this website of late, so I find myself less likely to share anything resembling a controversial take.

Anyways I suspect Clowney signs at some point within the next few hours with NO. But I wouldn’t be against some good news with him ending up coming our way. If we’re interested, sending a “full court press” for him now might work best. The Saints have to get other players to restructure their deals to have enough space to fit him in. We have the luxury of not having to do that at this point... assuming the $10m price tag is accurate. 

Edited by diamondbull424

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I can't wait till I never hear the name Clowney again in this forum, haha.

Can't remember the last time a player who by reports we were never truly in on was talked about this much by the Ravens Flock

Tbf there were never reports that NO was incredibly interested either (besides minor poking from months back, but that was true of basically most/all teams) and they now seem to be the favorites to sign him. What’s more the reports said that the Ravens felt he was out of their price range, not that they weren’t interested. I think that’s a notable distinction between the two.

That and I think the notion that the team went after prominent players like Earl Thomas, Marcus Peters, and Calais Campbell recently has changed some of team narrative about not targeting moves like these. So it makes all things, like this, more possible than they’ve ever been under Ozzie. Even if it’s not likely, it’s still well within reason. So when reports came out that the Ravens are the 3rd team in the Clowney sweepstakes or the favorites to sign him, none of that comes to as much of a surprise now considering EDC track record to this point. If he sees a good deal, he’s shown he can be interested.

Edited by diamondbull424

Looks like the initial roster is set, per Hensley:

QB: Lamar, RIII, McSorely
RB: Ingram, Gus, Dobbins, Hill
WR: Hollywood, Snead, Boykin, Duvernay, Proche, Moore
TE: Andrews, Boyle, Ricard
OL: Stanley, Brown Jr., Fluker, Bozeman, Skura, Mekari, Powers, Bredesen, Phillips

DL: BWill, Campbell, Wolfe, Madbuike, Washington, Ellis, Ward
EDGE: Judon, Ferguson, Bowser, McPhee
ILB: Queen, Harrison, Fort, Board, Alaka
CB: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Smith, Averette
S: Clark, Elliot, Levine, Stone

ST: Wolf pack

If I were to pick out areas of need that we can address with waiver claims/FA signings, it would be:

S (Ha-ha?)
EDGE (Clowney?) 
OT (backup swing OT)

Players who may be at risk of being cut/practice squad to make room: Board, Alaka, Powers, Bredesen. Seems like we have a lot of bodies at G and ILB, so that's why I feel as some of those guys are the most expendable. 

Edited by AngusMcFife
forgot TEs

31 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Looks like the initial roster is set, per Hensley:

QB: Lamar, RIII, McSorely
RB: Ingram, Gus, Dobbins, Hill
WR: Hollywood, Snead, Boykin, Duvernay, Proche, Moore
OL: Stanley, Brown Jr., Fluker, Bozeman, Skura, Mekari, Powers, Bredesen, Phillips

DL: BWill, Campbell, Wolfe, Madbuike, Washington, Ellis, Ward
EDGE: Judon, Ferguson, Bowser, McPhee
ILB: Queen, Harrison, Fort, Board, Alaka
CB: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Smith, Averette
S: Clark, Elliot, Levine, Stone

ST: Wolf pack

If I were to pick out areas of need that we can address with waiver claims/FA signings, it would be:

S (Ha-ha?)
EDGE (Clowney?) 
OT (backup swing OT)

Players who may be at risk of being cut/practice squad to make room: Board, Alaka, Powers, Bredesen. Seems like we have a lot of bodies at G and ILB, so that's why I feel as some of those guys are the most expendable. 

+Mandrews, Boyle, Ricard

• Like 1

Seahawks released Shaquem Griffin. I would really like to add him as a special teamer. I the name rings a bell, he was the guy drafted a couple of years ago who doesn't have his left hand

Edit: He can also be a situational pass rusher. He is great at working stunts

Edited by Danand