2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Couple offseason thoughts-

1. I think EDC is going to go to Roman and essentially demand a concrete answer about Hurst's offensive inclusion going forward. And as a result if we don't see him moved, we'll know that the offense is going to finally centerpiece both he and Andrews ala Gronk/Hernandez. 

2. There's a bigger chance than people think that we bring back both Jimmy and Carr next year imo. Unless someone offers Jimmy absurd money(which is unlikely age/injury + off field history) and the looming comp pick is too enticing. I see the prospect of another year of elite CB depth being worth more to EDC than the money we can save by letting them go. Jimmy has taken a discount to stay with us before and he's still a Top 10-15 CB on a good day. And is the 7 Mill cap hit Carr carries so bad? For an iron man player that we know can function outside, inside, and at Safety? IDK. Marlon and Tavon are super physical CBs that have missed games or stretches of games in the past. Marcus Peters has a dog mentality that we love, but would any of us be shocked if he got suspended for a game or two after getting into an on field scrap?

Maybe if Anthony Averret had shown anything, I'd feel more comfortable- but he didn't. He regressed in the worst way. Canady is gone. Iman is unproven. As a team geared up to make a SB run- do we want to rely on generally unproven players/Rookies at CB when the injuries inevitably occur? Definitely not. That's why more and more I see us retaining both players. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Having watched Clowney this year, anyone thinking we're getting an elite pass rusher is delusional. That's not what Clowney is, by any stretch of the imagination. He is disruptive in the run game, though and I think that's where his specialty is. He'll have a game once every blue moon where he will dominate in every facet, and then he'll disappear for 4-5 games after that.

I like the idea of Clowney, but I can't help but be skeptical about him because I feel like every team wants to make him the guy, and he's just not that.

I agree that he’s not “the guy” in the manner of a JJ Watt. But he’s an elite run defender that we haven’t seen since peak Suggs. In fact, he’s probably a more juiced up version with how he’s an elite run stopper, but offers the ability to get to the QB. Suggs was never an elite pass rusher, only good. Same with Clowney. But surround him with some front 7 pass rushers via FA/the draft and I see a guy who can put together a season like 2011 Suggs. Elite run defender that gets 14-15 sacks, but opens up other guys because of the double teams he commands. I’d pay $18-19/m for that kind of impact vs a guy like Judon who you have to scheme pass rush looks and he still only puts up numbers similar to Clowney (most seasons).

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I agree with Dreamkid, and I hope we extend Jimmy Smith and keep Carr on his contract. He is a solid 6 on every single snap 17 games a year with us, and that is so valuable compared to another player who is everything from a 2-8 on snaps during the game. Jimmy on a snap count on Carr as a multitool still carries a lot of value and give us flexibility going into the draft.

Extending those two guys along with Jihard Ward (another rotational player we might be able to lock down for 2-3 years cheap), McPhee on another 1-2 year veteran contract, Bynes on a 1 year veteran contract and Levine on a 1-2 year contract and maybe keep Peko around either early or bring him along in training camp if Mack doesn’t ascend/we don’t find a big body in the draft.

That would give us an opportunity to focus on adding pass rush/dline, OL and wide receiver.

I still believe Hurst is all about getting more chemistry with Lamar and Lamar has to learn that Hurst gets open.

Wide receiver is all about getting more explosive somehow. Adding speed like we have seen the Chiefs do it or a chess piece like Laviska Shenault/Lynn Bowden/Antonio Gibson which can be moved around and play multiple positions

• Like 1

I'm iffy on bringing Carr back. Yes, he's been a very good player for us, but it seemed to me he slowed down a lot this past season. And do we outright cut him and then re-sign him or ask him to take a pay cut? And I still believe in Red Thor! Greg Roman better show him respect!

• Like 1

Who are realistic ILB targets? Joe Schoebert? Cory Littleton? Danny Trevaithan? 

Personally I would like to avoid spending high draft capital at ILB - although  really bad ILB play can sink a defense, I'm not convinced a great ILB can necessarily elevate a defense anymore the way they used to be able to, and all in all it's a position where I think you can get by with functional/above average guys as long as the rest of the pieces around them are strong. So the free agent market seems a better route to me to look. 

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'm iffy on bringing Carr back. Yes, he's been a very good player for us, but it seemed to me he slowed down a lot this past season. And do we outright cut him and then re-sign him or ask him to take a pay cut? And I still believe in Red Thor! Greg Roman better show him respect!

He's a team option, so it wouldn't be a cut. It'd like either him or Jimmy back as an outside CB body, even though they obviously bring different rewards/risks. Don't see both coming back 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

What do you guys think of Justice Hill 

Does he have starter potential at all?

whats his ceiling?

im thinking of trading for him in my fantasy dynasty league 

Depends on what you'd be giving up I suppose but I think he's a good speculative add in a dynasty league if you're not giving up much. He flashed some good signs towards the end of the season and I think could really benefit from a full NFL offseason in terms of adding some power and working on his pass-catching. Given Ingram's age I actually think we could see more of a split in carries between Ingram and Gus as the main backs so an injury to either of them would probably put Hill in line for a noteworthy workload playing on arguably the best rushing offense in the league. 

Longer term I wouldn't be surprsied to see us roll with Gus and Hill as a 'Thunder and Lightning' type RB duo as Ingram gets phased out. 

30 minutes ago, brownie man said:

What do you guys think of Justice Hill 

Does he have starter potential at all?

whats his ceiling?

im thinking of trading for him in my fantasy dynasty league 

High ceiling low floor. Great athlete in a great system, but with poor vision and a need to learn the position at the pro level. Ingram and Gus will help him learn the position but are also blockers for playing time.

I'd say there's roughly a 15% chance he becomes a top 10 fantasy back in the next couple years. I think Gus is the better bet despite less hype.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

High ceiling low floor. Great athlete in a great system, but with poor vision and a need to learn the position at the pro level. Ingram and Gus will help him learn the position but are also blockers for playing time.

I'd say there's roughly a 15% chance he becomes a top 10 fantasy back in the next couple years. I think Gus is the better bet despite less hype.

Gus is better IRL and I think could very well end up being the RB getting the most carries for us next year but I feel like for fantasy he's never actually gonna be that valuable considering he doensn't really catch passes, is likely to be in a RB timeshare even if he is the 1a back, and is gonna have Lamar vulturing rushing TD's from him on top of that. 

6 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Who are realistic ILB targets? Joe Schoebert? Cory Littleton? Danny Trevaithan? 

Personally I would like to avoid spending high draft capital at ILB - although  really bad ILB play can sink a defense, I'm not convinced a great ILB can necessarily elevate a defense anymore the way they used to be able to, and all in all it's a position where I think you can get by with functional/above average guys as long as the rest of the pieces around them are strong. So the free agent market seems a better route to me to look. 

I would break down the free agent ILBs the following way:

Top 1: Corey Littleton

Younger ILBs: Joe Schobert, Blake Martinez, Nick Kwiatkowsi (good in coverage, questionable run defense)

Veterans: Danny Trevarthen, Josh Bynes (good run defense, questionable in coverage)

Jamie Collins (inconsistent)

Swiss army knife: Kyle van Noy (can play inside and outside) 

Tony responding to fans asking him to take a pay cut. It really is funny. Remember, Jefferson chose us for less money over the Browns. O.o

Honestly, no ill will towards the guy. He believed in the team, wanted to be here, recruited other players, played as hard as he could, and didn't complain when inexplicably asked to take on a foreign/non ideal role within the defense. It was a highly questionable acquisition by our FO and it ended up the way we thought it would. 99% chance he's cut, which is why we're seeing posts like this. So nothing but best wishes to him going forward. 

Tony_Jefferson_IG.jpg

9 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

There's actually a ton of pretty solid mid round options in the draft this year so unless a Dont'a Higher were to become available I'd rather not pay.

Exactly, I think when fans say... “mid round ILBs don’t work out” they need to look at the drafts where ILBs are hitting. Some drafts have very little talented depth at the ILB position. This draft might not be overall as deep as last year, it’s deep at our  ancillary positions of need such as WR, ILB, and IOL. Which is to say pass rush from the IDL or Edge are our primary needs to upgrade this offseason, they also happen to be not thin but not as plush as last years draft. Therefore it would behoove use to attack those early. Whereas ILB there are a wealth of options of guys likely to be had on day 2 and day 3 with varying strengths, but quality talent.

• Like 1