2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

7 hours ago, sp6488 said:

On jimmy smith, I’m thinking they are trying to get him on a reasonable deal (maybe something like Carrs current series of options). If Jimmy is back, I’m guessing Carr is gone. May be tough to get that done though unless he’s willing to take a bit less than market to stick in Baltimore. 

I think Jimmy might take less than market since he and Harbaugh are supposedly 'real cool'. And he has expressed his desire to finish his career in Baltimore, so there's that as well. I hope they get it done as Jimmy is one of my favorite Ravens. I always harp back to the Superbowl run where he cracked Crabtree on 3rd and goal separating him from the ball. One of my favorite plays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Would suck to have to use our IR-designated-to-return spot on a head coach. 

We'd have to keep him active through training camp and only put him on IR once opening rosters are announced to use an IR-designated-to-return spot.

Starting the season on the PUP list would be more likely of the two ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Still a good chunk of change to play with for a quality free agent or two.

What the top-line cap number is post-CBA and what happens with cap carryover are two major factors that will impact FA.

That said, we have a few levers for the space that exists currently:

- If we move on from Carr that would free up a healthy amount of money
- A Stanley extension would potentially free up space  as he's accounted for on the 5th year option and is obviously in the higher portion of the round (how we structure will be influenced by carryover rules)
- A Yanda retirement would open up some money, albeit with a loss on the line - considering he hasn't retired yet, I'm starting to think he'll be back... if that's the case, I could see the Ravens adding a year to his deal (converting 2020 salary to bonus) to free up current year dollars if needed

As far as pursuing FAs, I could see a scenario where EDC diverts from his to-date strategy of relatively flat 3-year extensions if the player in question is a true building block player. If Yannick Ngakoue hits FA, for example, I could see him getting a six year deal with a more steep cap hit increase to fit him in under the current year

I have to eat some crow regarding Judons sack production. I thought it had a lot to do with blitz combinations and coverage sacks, but among his 9 sacks there were basically just 1 coverage sack, which was against the Texans.

His sacks happened rougly like this:

Sack 1 – Dolphins, 3 seconds, beat his man (RT)

Sack 2 – Cardinals, 3 seconds, beat his man (RT)

Sack 3 – Bengals, 3 seconds, beat his mand (LT)

Sack 4 – Texans, 9 seconds, clean up sack after unsuccessfull stunt

Sack 5 – Texans, 1 second pressure and sack between guard and center, I have no idea what the Texans oline thought on this play

Sack 6 – Rams, 2 seconds strip sack, beats the tight end clean off the edge

Sack 7 – Bills, 2 seconds strip sack, beats the tight end. Bowser would have gotten the if Judon missed, complete collaps on the Bills Oline

Sack 8 – Bills, 6 seconds, attacks up field after being a spy on Allen

Sack 9 – Steelers, 3 second strip sack, beats the slot receiver inside and get a clean run at duck guy

I don't think we can knock Judon for his sack production. It didn't come against the top tier olines/opponents, and at least 3 of them where against overmatched tight ends and a receiver (Steelers #89) while 1 sack against the Texans was a complete screw up by the Oline.

If anything his sack production show he is versatile and a missmatch against tight ends and receivers.

I still has a feeling, that he isn't and upper tier pass rusher, as the games I have seen recently had him completely shut down against tackles. Guess I will have to do some more work and at worst I discover that we underrate him as a player. I still think a bidding war is bad for us, but if we shore up McPhee, Ward and Judon, we basically remove outside linebacker as a top need and focus on dline

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I have to eat some crow regarding Judons sack production. I thought it had a lot to do with blitz combinations and coverage sacks, but among his 9 sacks there were basically just 1 coverage sack, which was against the Texans.

His sacks happened rougly like this:

Sack 1 – Dolphins, 3 seconds, beat his man (RT)

Sack 2 – Cardinals, 3 seconds, beat his man (RT)

Sack 3 – Bengals, 3 seconds, beat his mand (LT)

Sack 4 – Texans, 9 seconds, clean up sack after unsuccessfull stunt

Sack 5 – Texans, 1 second pressure and sack between guard and center, I have no idea what the Texans oline thought on this play

Sack 6 – Rams, 2 seconds strip sack, beats the tight end clean off the edge

Sack 7 – Bills, 2 seconds strip sack, beats the tight end. Bowser would have gotten the if Judon missed, complete collaps on the Bills Oline

Sack 8 – Bills, 6 seconds, attacks up field after being a spy on Allen

Sack 9 – Steelers, 3 second strip sack, beats the slot receiver inside and get a clean run at duck guy

I don't think we can knock Judon for his sack production. It didn't come against the top tier olines/opponents, and at least 3 of them where against overmatched tight ends and a receiver (Steelers #89) while 1 sack against the Texans was a complete screw up by the Oline.

If anything his sack production show he is versatile and a missmatch against tight ends and receivers.

I still has a feeling, that he isn't and upper tier pass rusher, as the games I have seen recently had him completely shut down against tackles. Guess I will have to do some more work and at worst I discover that we underrate him as a player. I still think a bidding war is bad for us, but if we shore up McPhee, Ward and Judon, we basically remove outside linebacker as a top need and focus on dline

We didn’t get it wrong and underrate him. Of your great breakdown 6 of his sacks came from some combination of TE/WR blocks, OL miscommunication, or clear coverage sacks.

The top pass rushers also get those kinds of sacks, only they combine it with an ability to beat their OT more consistently for production. The fact that Judon only got sacks on OTs against 3 of the worst OLs in the  NFL says a lot. He’s a clear #2 level pass rusher (at best) and on some teams a top rotational pass rusher (at worst). But he’s likely to get paid Zadarius Smith kind of money, he’s not the same player.

I think you got it right before. We can do better. We used Bowser in coverage a solid amount and he wasn’t fully in the rotation, I think if he takes over Judon’s pass rush role, he upgrades the position by himself. We would just need someone to take “Bowser’s role” and upgrade the spot as a 3rd down rusher (or if they’re a complete player against the run then kick Sack daddy to a rotational role). 

I think we should do as you say on that last note only with or without Judon. Focus on DL in free agency because it’s a more shallow position in the draft. Then attack the edge position in the draft where between guys like; Zack Baun, YGM, one should fall to our spot in the first. Then there are more tertiary level talents such as Zuniga, Robinson, etc. there aren’t too any (that I’ve seen) tertiary caliber IDL options that can rush the passer at a high level.

• Like 2

I am pretty high on a combination of Baun/TGM/Weaver/Darrell Taylor in the 1/2 round and then add Zuniga in the 3rd round. I think Zuniga can upgrade our pass rush combined with his ability to set the edge, which would allow us some flexibility opposite him where guys with more speed and athleticism could flourish.

I wasn't talking about Judon as an easily replaceable piece. I just reacted to the last couple of games I saw with him, where he was shut down in one on one matchups. His production, however it might be against favorable matchups, it is still great production and he had 3 strip sacks where we got 2 of them. That is still impact and our front office just has to figure out, how not to overpay him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I am pretty high on a combination of Baun/TGM/Weaver/Darrell Taylor in the 1/2 round and then add Zuniga in the 3rd round. I think Zuniga can upgrade our pass rush combined with his ability to set the edge, which would allow us some flexibility opposite him where guys with more speed and athleticism could flourish.

I wasn't talking about Judon as an easily replaceable piece. I just reacted to the last couple of games I saw with him, where he was shut down in one on one matchups. His production, however it might be against favorable matchups, it is still great production and he had 3 strip sacks where we got 2 of them. That is still impact and our front office just has to figure out, how not to overpay him. 

True. But I honestly wouldn’t even know what value is “fair” value for a guy of his status, if that makes sense. I don’t think I would want to give Judon even $10m because of the opportunity cost lost in acquiring a Gerald McCoy or Calais Campbell (if he’s cut), who could both give similar production but from the interior position where it would cause more havoc.

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We should trade for Alshon Jeffrey.

Dude is washed and wayyyyy overpaid. Don't want anything to do with him.

Something that did catch my eye today though - Titans not giving a 5th year tender to Corey Davis, meaning he's a FA after next year. Might be a good buy-low candidate to target now in a trade especially if they need to clear some money to get Tannehill, Conklin, and/or Henry's contracts done. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Dude is washed and wayyyyy overpaid. Don't want anything to do with him.

Something that did catch my eye today though - Titans not giving a 5th year tender to Corey Davis, meaning he's a FA after next year. Might be a good buy-low candidate to target now in a trade especially if they need to clear some money to get Tannehill, Conklin, and/or Henry's contracts done. 

I would steer clear. I wanted him in the draft, but great WRs aren’t typically as reliant on great QB play to do well. Davis was outperformed by a rookie. He also came from a smaller school coming out where he dominated. I’m thinking the NFL jump was just too much. I think what Corey Davis provides we already have in Miles Boykin.