Steelers hinting about deal with Dupree??

jebrick

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

@Dcash4

Heres the thing to me:  If I had to pay one it would be Hargraves.  Even at 50-60% of the snaps he had just as big if not bigger impact than Dupree.  I feel with that justification you might be able to get him to take a slight discount.

That said:

I wouldn't resign either.  As you said in your post, there are two much more important guys to resign coming up: Watt and Fitzpatrick.  Neither is walking out that door on me.  So I look at this year as working the edges (like you agreed the cap situation isn't all that bad, especially if you let Dupree and Hargraves walk), draft really solid.  I think too that if you let those two walk you are getting likely a 3rd and 4th round compensatory pick, which would be huge in 2021 draft to have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Edit:

Playing around on spotrac's cap operator, if we cut Barron, McDonald, Foster, Holton, Lynch, and Switzer; restructure Nelson and DeCastro, we got $24mil in cap space.  At that point I look to shop the edges much better: 

Nick Vannett: 3 year $6mil, $2.5mil guaranteed

Quinton Spain (OG): 3 year $12mil, $4.5mil guaranteed

Bruce Irving (OLB): 2 year $10mil, $4mil guaranteed

Vic Beasley (OLB): 3 year $12mil, $3.75mil guaranteed

Timmy Jernnigan (NT): 4 year $12.5mil, $5mil guaranteed.

If my math is right, you could be talking about $17mil in space in FA signings, and I think what I managed to do there was give some wiggle room (especially at OLB) to not have to be super aggressive going into the draft of needs.

RD 2 - Cole Kmet TE ND

RD 3 - Akeem Davis-Gaither ILB/OLB Appalachian State

RD 4 - Trystan Colon-Castillo OG Missouri

RD 4 - Trevon Hill EDGE Miami

RD 6 - James Proche WR SMU

RD 7 - Bryce Perkins QB UVA

Is it just me or do the salaries for the bold seem low? Beasley at 1/3 the price of Dupree is something I can't see being possible.  Has Beasley regressed that much? He was good a tone time, but what happened?

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Is it just me or do the salaries for the bold seem low? Beasley at 1/3 the price of Dupree is something I can't see being possible.  Has Beasley regressed that much? He was good a tone time, but what happened?

Beasley had the one big year but has been quiet the last 2. Dupree has done better more recently.

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Beasley had the one big year but has been quiet the last 2. Dupree has done better more recently.

Beasley also had some scheme and coaching changes, maybe not for the better but I never watched the falcons much. I still can't see him signing such a low priced deal. I would expect him to opt for a prove it deal somewhere and go from there.  Also, considering Dupree has had issues staying on the field, I would expect that to factor into anyone wanting to sign him as much as his lack of production outside of last season.  No way he gets a deal near what the smiths got, but if he does it's a risk. 

With Ola and Skipper waiting, I wouldn't be opposed to a prove it deal . Such deals can turn out good since the player is already in contract year mode

Colbert is the reason Dupree will get signed here though, he always overspends on his draft picks. For some reason his contract doesn't expire until after the draft and by then he will have signed a few vets too.  I was hoping colbert would be gone sooner than later.

19 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Beasley also had some scheme and coaching changes, maybe not for the better but I never watched the falcons much. I still can't see him signing such a low priced deal. I would expect him to opt for a prove it deal somewhere and go from there.  Also, considering Dupree has had issues staying on the field, I would expect that to factor into anyone wanting to sign him as much as his lack of production outside of last season.  No way he gets a deal near what the smiths got, but if he does it's a risk. 

With Ola and Skipper waiting, I wouldn't be opposed to a prove it deal . Such deals can turn out good since the player is already in contract year mode

Colbert is the reason Dupree will get signed here though, he always overspends on his draft picks. For some reason his contract doesn't expire until after the draft and by then he will have signed a few vets too.  I was hoping colbert would be gone sooner than later.

I’m not Colbert’s biggest fan, but why do you want Colbert gone?

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m not Colbert’s biggest fan, but why do you want Colbert gone?

tired of him ruining this team. He's not the worst, but I think they could do better. MY main issue with him is how he stacked the offence and wasted away the team as the defence was terrible.  His overpaying of his draft picks also costs the team and it could again (dupree and hargrave) . I don't like how he has drafted in RD`1 most of the time either. Any GM that says it's the QB and 52 children should be elsewhere, not here

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

tired of him ruining this team. He's not the worst, but I think they could do better. MY main issue with him is how he stacked the offence and wasted away the team as the defence was terrible.  His overpaying of his draft picks also costs the team and it could again (dupree and hargrave) . I don't like how he has drafted in RD`1 most of the time either. Any GM that says it's the QB and 52 children should be elsewhere, not here

Ruin the team?

Im all for giving him crap about not going all in sooner...but save for that...how has he ruined this team? 

Its difficult to maneuver in FA with a QB eating 1/6 of your cap. In terms of their 1st rounders...they’ve know for always drafting BPA at generally what most consider a top3 need. Yea they haven’t been able to draft DBs...that’s valid. However you say he ruined the team?

Ive said this before...you seem to only deal in black and white...the answer is usually a grey area.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Ruin the team?

Im all for giving him crap about not going all in sooner...but save for that...how has he ruined this team? 

Its difficult to maneuver in FA with a QB eating 1/6 of your cap. In terms of their 1st rounders...they’ve know for always drafting BPA at generally what most consider a top3 need. Yea they haven’t been able to draft DBs...that’s valid. However you say he ruined the team?

Ive said this before...you seem to only deal in black and white...the answer is usually a grey area.

Ruin could be part of the coaching to blame, and  the problems with some players like AB, Bell  and even ben, but of course ben is the QB so he gets do do whatever he wants.  His drafting while overpaying his own offensive  draft picks never helped the defence.  The defence was a problem for a while, even with Shazier (I never liked hearing that excuse, the team still had no secondary) . At least last offseason he addressed the defence, finally. 

Re: QB eating 1/6 of cap - this is the one that whines about his OC, has to have everything his way and then doesn't play as good as his contract. Thats another problem, not all colbert, but when he signs a player to such a deal, they should play really good. When a Team has this high priced HOF QB  and WR and don't make the playoffs, there are issues elsewhere.  Last year without either they had the same end season result, so at least there were improvements, which occurred on defence.

Ruin isn't always making the team a bottom 5  of the league, but it's wasting a talented core that went from should be SB contender to not even making the playoffs. After playing our game at home watching and hoping the browns win in order to get into the playoffs - something wrong with that O.o. Ruin might be harsh, but it's considering the talent that was there, many said they were the most talented for a while.

I liked the team this year, but too many injuries and the OC ruined the offence. The loss of Munchak was a serious loss but that's not on colbert or tomlin because Munchak wanted to go. The replacement however is, and what a drop in OL play we saw in one season. If they slide even more, they better replace the OL coach or get new players. 

Just now, jebrick said:

If it is a new contract they need to clean out some people before they can announce it. 

Ok, I wasn't sure if that was definite or not.  I was thinking Pro Bowl was a possibility.  About $16-$17 million AAS?  Or do they go overboard and top $18 million?