Farewell, Patriots

BayRaider

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Yes, but is Brady the same QB he once was?  Brady has fended off Father Time better than I imagined he would but sooner or later FT wins.  Unless BB retires at the same time as Brady does one of these days it will be interesting to see if BB can continue his remarkable successes without #12.

If you are going by statistics, Tom had one of his worst seasons period. There are certainly other factors at play here though: Loss of starting center, various shifts in the OL, the in-and-out receivers, lack of any real tight end since Gronk retired and we didn't get Jared Cook.

The entire offense never set-in this season. It was just all over the place. 

• Like 1

Just now, lolsurebro said:

If you are going by statistics, Tom had one of his worst seasons period. There are certainly other factors at play here though: Loss of starting center, various shifts in the OL, the in-and-out receivers, lack of any real tight end since Gronk retired and we didn't get Jared Cook.

The entire offense never set-in this season. It was just all over the place

So was ours, frankly.  We haven't played a complete game offensively all year.   We only have one receiver anybody is concerned about, our guards aren't great, Graham is slower than I am and Rodgers' accuracy at times has been concerning.  We now have a running game but we aren't consistent with it.  Our D gives up yards but not a lot of points so we found ways to win ugly.  Sunday will be a very big test for sure.

• Like 1

If it is the end, I am good for the rest of my life. Greatest team in football for 20 years during a time in my young adulthood when I felt most emotionally invested.

Now I am old and watch sports games for entertainment in the same way I watch a good movie or go to see live music, and dont get too high or low after wins and losses. It's all good.

Looking forward to the games this weekend, hopefully they will both be competitive.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 8:48 PM, childofpudding said:

If it is the end, I am good for the rest of my life. Greatest team in football for 20 years during a time in my young adulthood when I felt most emotionally invested.

Now I am old and watch sports games for entertainment in the same way I watch a good movie or go to see live music, and dont get too high or low after wins and losses. It's all good.

Looking forward to the games this weekend, hopefully they will both be competitive.

I feel the same way.  Haven't had nearly the success the Pats had, but I experienced a super bowl win at a time it meant the most, and if we never win another I'm good with that.  I don't get too emotionally invested anymore.

• Like 1

As much as I would love for the Patriots stranglehold to be over, I cannot proclaim it dead. 

Even if Brady departs, Bill is still there and the Patriots have wisely braced for his potential departure by building a strong defense and have laid the ground work for a running game to help transition. The team is ready to carry a young QB, especially with Bill there to coach them up.

On 18/01/2020 at 2:48 AM, childofpudding said:

I said this to myself every off-season since the SB49, and I believe it for about 6 months. Then, come September, I'm cheering on the Patriots as if they're playing for my life again.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I said this to myself every off-season since the SB49, and I believe it for about 6 months. Then, come September, I'm cheering on the Patriots as if they're playing for my life again.

I hear ya, but I definitely have changed. I noticed it in myself in the SB vs. the Eagles. When Brady fumbled and the Eagles won, I was surprised that I wasnt even that upset.

I cant tell you how many sleepless nights I had when they lost in '07. Looking back it is kind of bizarre that I let that outcome affect me as much as it did for as long as it did.

But after they won vs. Seattle and then Atlanta, I figured I could never ask for anything else again as a Patriots fan.

Until BB retires or moves to another team, I would not count them out. Brady? He is declining, and that decline will likely quicken. Not because he won't do everything he can to avoid it, but if he doesn't retire, he's going to get roughed up more than he ever has. Speed was never his strength, and now even what he had is going. Ever watch a champ get beat up in the ring? It's not a pretty sight. 

Edited by Warhorse

I'm not sure the Patriots dynasty is over, nor am I certain that their reign won't be supplanted by another super power. Kansas City very quietly has won the AFC West the past 4 years and made the playoffs all but one year since Andy Reid got there in 2013. The 49ers could start another dynasty with their talented young group of players that has led to their postseason run this year. I haven't even mentioned the team that was most dominant throughout this past regular season, the Baltimore Ravens with their 23 year old MVP QB. The Eagles have also made the last 3 postseasons despite having massive injury issues, and if they stay healthy they could dehumanize the entire league.

The Patriots run should be celebrated because it may never be replicated, but be careful what you wish for. In five years we all may miss the evil empire.

Let say Brady is 80% effective. He's still a top tier QB. Put him on the Titans, Niners or for that matter KC and he still can take those teams to the SB. The Patriots roster this year was horrible in many areas. No QB would have a chance. Its a miracle they did as well as they did.

Brady will be just fine if they have a OL upgrade and get him WRs. The defense needs one or two players to be dominate. A nose tackle is a must.  Just remember, the Titan only scored what ( I don't count the pick 6 the game was over by than) 14 points. Henry had his yards but that would of meant nothing if Brady had any weapons. 

The main issue for the Pats is poor drafts. If the Pats can sign a WR FA ( just an EX Cooper) or trade ( Beckham) for one they have a good chance of getting back on top.

PS  N'Keal Harry was a horrible 1st rd pick.  He is to slow and can't get any separation. He also lacks body control which compounds his problem.  I would tell him to add 20 LBS and turn him into a TE.  Also anyone on this board would be a better TE than what the Pats had out there !:D

Edited by m haynes

I am alright if this is the end of the Patriots :D We should be honest though, and not forget they have Bill Belichek and a whole host of decent coaches. Right now I feel the KC Chiefs are in the process of birthing the next Dynasty, last year was a contraction, this year they gonna pop the baby out :D But it is the Patriots, they probably gonna hang around for a while lol.