NateDawg

Baylor hires LSU DC Dave Aranda as head coach

Sounds like Aranda is heading to Baylor. 

2020 LSU is looking like a totally different team.

Edited by NateDawg

5 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

The entire SEC thanks Matt Rhule. 

This man took Joe Brady to the NFL and left a vacant spot for Aranda to take. I don't even know anything about the guy and now he's public enemy #1 lol.

Will miss Aranda but stand by what I said earlier in this thread when he was linked to the UNLV job. He's great, but I don't think he's so elite that he's irreplaceable. We'll be fine. Brady was definitely the bigger loss, not sure how fine we'll be on that end. 

Do wish him well though! We love Aranda at LSU. Excited to see what he does at Baylor. He stayed longer than I ever thought he would and helped bring us a title. 

Edited by Spartica4Real

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Why is Venables not in the running at Baylor?

He’s reminding me of bud foster more and more. Might not want to be a HC. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

He’s reminding me of bud foster more and more. Might not want to be a HC. 

Now he has his sons on the team so doubt he's going anywhere for four more years.

Edited by titansNvolsR#1

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Why is Venables not in the running at Baylor?

Not a good enough job. 

24 minutes ago, PAW said:

Not a good enough job. 

Who is going to take a chance on him when he's never been HC? South Carolina might, but if Baylor isn't good enough . . .

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Who is going to take a chance on him when he's never been HC? South Carolina might, but if Baylor isn't good enough . . .

Then he will stay as DC making more than most HC. He doesn’t want to be a HC at a school he can’t win big at. He would’ve taken the TN job if they went for him over Pruitt. 

4 minutes ago, PAW said:

Then he will stay as DC making more than most HC. He doesn’t want to be a HC at a school he can’t win big at. He would’ve taken the TN job if they went for him over Pruitt. 

Doesn't sound like much of a competitor.

I'm certainly not a high level HC at the college level, but IMO, comfort/loving what you do and culture are huge attractions to a lot of coordinators. Venables has the opportunity to coach his sons, and I know a lot of you dislike Dabo, but he treats his assistant coaches super well, invites family/children to practices and has the opportunity to have dinners catered in for his staff so that they can spend time together as a family in some capacity during the season, whereas in other places, it's 80+ hours a week away from family, etc.

If you love what you do and have almost total autonomy as a coordinator, why would you want to leave unless there was a "perfect job" out there for you?

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

If you love what you do and have almost total autonomy as a coordinator, why would you want to leave unless there was a "perfect job" out there for you?

I get it. Not everyone really wants to be a head coach. That's fine. 

LSU had a great year. No surprise to see some of their coaching staff get hired to other teams. 

31 minutes ago, tom cody said:

LSU had a great year. No surprise to see some of their coaching staff get hired to other teams. 

I think it's potentially a better hire than Fuente.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think it's potentially a better hire than Fuente.

Dave is an amazing recruiter where Fuente kinda falls flat. But think it all depends on the OC he hires and offense he tries to run.