Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It worked out because Kirk Cousins turned out to be halfway decent.  But if RG3 was able to keep up his career after his rookie season, the Kirk Cousins pick would have been a wasted asset.  So you're telling me that the Kirk Cousins pick would have been a good pick IF RG3 had succeeded?

What even is your point with this?  It did work out.  And it is an example of it working out.  

For example I could ask you, "so you're telling me that the Aaron Rodgers pick in 2005 would have been a good pick IF Rodgers had busted?" 

You suggested the RG3/Cousins situation was an example of why you don't double-dip because it was panned.  And all I did was point out that it actually worked out very well for Washington.

But to answer the question.  If Robert Griffin turned out to be a franchise QB, are you telling me that 5 years after the fact, people would have stilled cared that they "wasted" a pick on Cousins?  Come on now.  All that matters in the NFL is getting that QB.  You'll have plenty of 2nd and 3rd round picks down the road.  

On that same token, is any unsuccessful 2nd round pick a "wasted asset?"  Because I'd wager half of 2nd round picks aren't all that good anyway.

Except each of your comparisons happened in different years.  You take QB when the value is there, but you don't go out of your way to revamp your QB room.  It'd be the equivalent of the Panthers taking their QB at 8 and then taking someone like Kyle Trask at 39.

They are examples of teams not letting a decision made prior at QB affect their decision-making in the draft.  And no, that isn't the equivalent.  That's double-dipping at the same position in the same draft.  Panthers traded their 2022 2nd, not their 2021 2nd.

There are countless of examples of teams "wasting assets" when it comes to the QB position, and you yourself literally gave one by referring to RG3/Cousins.  All I've been trying to say is that trading a future 2nd round pick for Darnold does not take the Panthers out of the QB market like you are implying.  If they really love Justin Fields or Trey Lance or whatever, then they more than likely would take them if they fall to #8.  And yes, I get that you think that would be a waste of an asset.  Sure, fine.  But it doesn't mean it isn't something a team is willing to do.  Especially a team that has made it clear that finding that guy is a priority.  

And I'm not even saying that is what will happen.  But you are trying to say the Panthers are out of the QB market as if that is a fact and I just disagree.  And I mean talking of wasted assets but if anything if Darnold crashes and burns this year, it would make far more sense to draft a QB at #8 this year than next year when, if we do use a 1st round pick on a QB, we'll not have a 2nd or 4th round pick from the Darnold trade.

Edited by iknowcool

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm actually not sure that two aren't there. 

Possibly. I think between 4-7 we see the combination of Sewell/Chase/Pitts in whatever order that leaves one more player before Carolina picks so it could be a QB who's left or a guy like Smith, Slater or Surtain. 

Carolina also trading for Darnold could have teams thinking they're content and not try and trade ahead of them. 

I feel like the Darnold trade was essentially they're trade up in some ways. Teams behind them will assume they're set and then someone will fall into their laps. And the 6/2/4 they gave up is less than what they would have had to give up in a trade up since the team moving back knew they wanted a QB. 

If it works out that way then that's 4D chess by Carolina. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/carolina-panthers-sam-darnold-quarterback-nfl-draft

Carolina is still open to picking a quarterback with the No. 8 pick in this year's draft, according to SI's Albert Breer. The Panthers' sense of urgency to find a long-term solution at that position increased when San Francisco traded up to the No. 3 pick. The team has other needs—specifically cornerback and offensive tackle—but would still consider taking the right quarterback if he was still on the board at No. 8.

General manager Scott Fitterer has a history with stockpiling at quarterback. The 47-year-old first-year GM spent two decades working with the Seahawks, both as a scout and in the front office. During his time there, he saw Seattle GM John Schneider add three quarterbacks in the 2012 offseason, all while still employing veteran starter Matt Hasselback.

In other Panthers news, apparently Kyle Pitts is No. 1 on our board and we would take him if he fell to No. 8 (for Pitts to fall to No. 8 would likely mean all the QBs are gone).

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/carolina-panthers-sam-darnold-quarterback-nfl-draft

In other Panthers news, apparently Kyle Pitts is No. 1 on our board and we would take him if he fell to No. 8 (for Pitts to fall to No. 8 would likely mean all the QBs are gone).

Kinda awkward for that one guy who spent the last 2 pages arguing Carolina is out on the QB market no matter what haha

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

As long as Pitts doesn't get to Dallas at 10, we're good.

8 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Kinda awkward for that one guy who spent the last 2 pages arguing Carolina is out on the QB market no matter what haha

Kinda awkward when someone tries to jump into a conversation they were never involved in.  Do I think the Panthers' acquisition of Sam Darnold would prevent the Panthers from taking Trevor Lawrence if he were to fall to 8?  Absolutely not.  Zach Wilson?  Probably not.  But for the other QBs after that, I think it's exceedingly unlikely.  I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong, but I think with the current iteration (Lawrence to JAX, Wilson to NYJ) I don't see the Panthers taking a QB at 8.  I feel that confidently that if Carolina takes a QB at 8, I'll let @iknowcool have sig AND avy privileges for a FULL year (or until next year's draft).

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kinda awkward when someone tries to jump into a conversation they were never involved in.  Do I think the Panthers' acquisition of Sam Darnold would prevent the Panthers from taking Trevor Lawrence if he were to fall to 8?  Absolutely not.  Zach Wilson?  Probably not.  But for the other QBs after that, I think it's exceedingly unlikely.  I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong, but I think with the current iteration (Lawrence to JAX, Wilson to NYJ) I don't see the Panthers taking a QB at 8.  I feel that confidently that if Carolina takes a QB at 8, I'll let @iknowcool have sig AND avy privileges for a FULL year (or until next year's draft).

The funny thing is that it started as a way to put Mac Jones and the 49ers together 

• Like 1