Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh no, definitely legit interest with regards to the position (can't speak to the actual players). Tackle will be high on our list. The team is confident Staley will be back, but a slightly under acknowledged storyline this off season is that Staley himself hasn't actually confirmed that he will be yet. Last year was a rough season for him given the injuries, the age getting up there and losing the super bowl.  That being said, we don't expect any of the top tackle talents to be there when we pick at 13, so I Think it's largely a non starter. 

I see. Chances you move up? I’d guess slim, as receiver is as equally important and one of the big three WRs will be available at 13.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

I see. Chances you move up? I’d guess slim, as receiver is as equally important and one of the big three WRs will be available at 13.

Absolutely none. Still far more likely we move back, especially if the tackles are gone at 13. We have no picks in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. If we really want a tackle and the big 4 are gone, I would imagine that we could move down then draft Josh Jones. We could also move down from 31 to draft Ezra Cleveland. 

If it ends up that we are looking at the receivers because the tackles are gone, I'd say that there's a chance we stay put, chance we move down. I think it could depend on which receiver is there (I'm sure Shanny has some sort of preferred ranking). It's always a gamble to move down, but if you really look at the board, if you're the niners at 13, nobody really worries you about going receiver (especially if the Raiders take one at 12) until probably Jax (and that's assuming, obviously, that they didn't take one earlier). Then you get to a run of teams. So I think if you're the niners, you could probably somewhat comfortable put the pick on the market for cheap to move down to 16/17 and not have to worry too much, though the risk still exists as a team like the Eagles will maneuver around. 

Those are the two positions that are most likely in my opinion, however. There is a small contingent of fans that want Kinlaw in that spot, but absent my own feelings on him as a player, I just don't think the FO is going to go that direction. 

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I guess this is a real thing?

I've heard it a few times now, but I Don't know even know what that price is. It would be somewhat unprecedented. When the Titans traded their pick, they had Mariota. I suppose the Browns / Eagles trade could be looked at in that light, but the Browns wanted the picks more than they wanted Wentz, so that was a move that they were interested in making. You're asking a team without a franchise quarterback to pass up on it's franchise quarterback (though I'm not a huge fan of Burrow...I think he's fine, I don't think he's a transcendent prospect or anything). 

What's the starting point of this deal? 3 firsts + 2 seconds  and maybe more? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Our response to that phone call would be something to the effect of, “a price you’re not willing to consider”. Burrow is a combination of being too good a prospect and too perfect a fit for what this organization needs right now. The media can speculate all they want. This pick is already in the bag.

And if the Bengals FO is to be praised for anything, it’s their stubbornness when it comes to trades. Carson Palmer, AJ McCarron, most recently Andy Dalton - we refused to let players go unless we were compensated at an absurd rate. Miami will move on.

20 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Our response to that phone call would be something to the effect of, “a price you’re not willing to consider”. Burrow is a combination of being too good a prospect and too perfect a fit for what this organization needs right now. The media can speculate all they want. This pick is already in the bag.

And if the Bengals FO is to be praised for anything, it’s their stubbornness when it comes to trades. Carson Palmer, AJ McCarron, most recently Andy Dalton - we refused to let players go unless we were compensated at an absurd rate. Miami will move on.

If the Bengals can walk away with 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and Tua they shouldn't even blink. I love Burrow and think he will be a good pro, but come on he had arguably the most talented CFB team since the '01 Hurricanes and 1 year of college production. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've heard it a few times now, but I Don't know even know what that price is. It would be somewhat unprecedented. When the Titans traded their pick, they had Mariota. I suppose the Browns / Eagles trade could be looked at in that light, but the Browns wanted the picks more than they wanted Wentz, so that was a move that they were interested in making. You're asking a team without a franchise quarterback to pass up on it's franchise quarterback (though I'm not a huge fan of Burrow...I think he's fine, I don't think he's a transcendent prospect or anything). 

It's an interesting idea. We've actually reached a point where there are arguably enough starting QBs for every team to have one. Could trade it for a haul and grab Jameis or Cam. If that QB doesn't pan out, use the haul to build your team and make any moves next year that are necessary to get Lawrence or Fields or whomever. Of course, the risk in that is if Burrow kills it, you passed on a hometown franchise QB.

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If the Bengals can walk away with 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and Tua they shouldn't even blink. I love Burrow and think he will be a good pro, but come on he had arguably the most talented CFB team since the '01 Hurricanes and 1 year of college production. 

He didn't even have the most talented offense in his own division. But if you trade down with Miami, odds are that Tua isn't there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He didn't even have the most talented offense in his own division. But if you trade down with Miami, odds are that Tua isn't there.

Best O-Line in CFB, a top 100 prospect RB, 1st round WR going this year, another going 1st next year, and Moss will likely go in the the 3rd. That's an offense of top 100 prospects. Who was better?

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Best O-Line in CFB, a top 100 prospect RB, 1st round WR going this year, another going 1st next year, and Moss will likely go in the the 3rd. That's an offense of top 100 prospects. Who was better?

Alabama. Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Najee Harris, and just as good of an OL.

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's an interesting idea. We've actually reached a point where there are arguably enough starting QBs for every team to have one. Could trade it for a haul and grab Jameis or Cam. If that QB doesn't pan out, use the haul to build your team and make any moves next year that are necessary to get Lawrence or Fields or whomever. Of course, the risk in that is if Burrow kills it, you passed on a hometown franchise QB.

Won't matter if you took Fields or Lawrence, and they also end up being a top 5-10 QB.