Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Burrow needs to build rapport with WR's who are going to be there the next 3+ years. Tag and trade Green to a team that isn't the Patriots. Packers or Saints or 49ers or Seahawks would make sense. Sign Robby Anderson in FA, draft Justin Jefferson. Now you got Boyd, Anderson, Ross, Jefferson, Tate, Morgan Jr. Burrow can work with that. If I'm the Bengals, i'm definitely targeting Justin Jefferson to pair with Burrow. And they'll possibly be bad enough to get Chase in 2021.

If the Bengals literally have to pick receivers from LSU for Burrow to be successful that is just sad.  Maybe one if Jefferson falls to them but to try and get both, come on, I think more important would be building a OL that does not suck to protect him.  Jonah Williams coming back off injury will help but they need another quality OT over a WR early in the draft.  They got plenty of good young receivers, Boyd, Erickson, Ross, Morgan, Willis etc.  If the goal is to build LSU offense 2019 North, in Cincinnati, that is just the wrong way to go about it.  To try and capture that magical LSU season in the NFL is not going to happen.  PS I am pretty sure Joe Burrow can get along and succeed wit a variety of different WRs.

So did Isaiah Simmons on Clemson not declare?  I know officially teams will not know till the 21st but deadline was yesterday I believe and I do not see his name.

If that is true three of the top 10 picks in the draft will be linebackers next year with Isaiah Simmons, Micah Parsons and Joseph Ossai.  If that happens rarely has the NFL in recent years seen this many high level linebackers in one draft.  And they are not edge rushing 3/4 linebackers either, but all can clearly get to the QB if asked.   Pretty surprising if he did return to school, he would easily be the best prospect to return to college this year without question.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

So did Isaiah Simmons on Clemson not declare?  I know officially teams will not know till the 21st but deadline was yesterday I believe and I do not see his name.

If that is true three of the top 10 picks in the draft will be linebackers next year with Isaiah Simmons, Micah Parsons and Joseph Ossai.  If that happens rarely has the NFL in recent years seen this many high level linebackers in one draft.  And they are not edge rushing 3/4 linebackers either, but all can clearly get to the QB if asked.   Pretty surprising if he did return to school, he would easily be the best prospect to return to college this year without question.

Pretty sure the deadline is January 20th to declare. And I thought it was almost a forgone conclusion that he was leaving, I didn’t even realize he hadn’t officially declared yet.

12 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Pretty sure the deadline is January 20th to declare. And I thought it was almost a forgone conclusion that he was leaving, I didn’t even realize he hadn’t officially declared yet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

Says the 17th here on the official NFL website.  Then there is a three day grace period for them to change their mind before it is officially sent over to the NFL.  Maybe it is not up to date yet, AJ Terrell I know has declared and he is not included in this list.  Have not heard anything on Simmons though.

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think his career years are behind him at age 31.

This is pure speculation based solely on his age. The truth is the last time we saw Green play (2018) he was playing as well has he ever has in his career. Assuming he’s healthy, he’ll be a very effective, reliable target to aid Burrow in his development.

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Burrow needs to build rapport with WR's who are going to be there the next 3+ years.

Nah, Burrow needs rapport with the players who can help him the most right now. The most obvious of which is AJ Green. Assuming we reach an extension, I expect him to be playing at a high level in a vital role for at least 2 more years. We have plenty of time, 2020 draft included, to find Burrow weapons to develop with long-term. Justin Jefferson is certainly in play at pick 33.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Nah, Burrow needs rapport with the players who can help him the most right now. The most obvious of which is AJ Green. Assuming we reach an extension, I expect him to be playing at a high level in a vital role for at least 2 more years. We have plenty of time, 2020 draft included, to find Burrow weapons to develop with long-term. Justin Jefferson is certainly in play at pick 33.

You think they would do that instead of draft a OT at that spot?  To me that selection is a OT all the way, the best one there ideally.  Unless Cordy Glenn is healthy and can move back to OT but I like him more at guard honestly instead of OT, maybe center is an option 3rd or 4th round, would not take one that high in the 2nd.  

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You think they would do that instead of draft a OT at that spot?  To me that selection is a OT all the way, the best one there ideally.  Unless Cordy Glenn is healthy and can move back to OT but I like him more at guard honestly instead of OT, maybe center is an option 3rd or 4th round, would not take one that high in the 2nd.  

It all depends how the board falls. I wouldn’t say we’re honing in on an position in particular. OL, LB and WR are the most obvious, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see us go CB, DE, or DT depending on whi falls. In Taylor’s most recent interview he emphasized that defense is likely in play at 33:

Beyond quarterback, what are your position priorities?

Certainly there are a lot of guys on defense we're going to be evaluating because I think there are going to be a lot of good players available in the spots we're picking. You don't want to nail yourself down to one particular position. I think often times there's a great player at a position that maybe you didn't think you were going to get and you can't pass him up. It's critical for us to evaluate all those defensive players that will be on our team in the Senior Bowl.

I know there are people harping on taking a wide receiver early, but it seems to me you have far more needs on defense.

You're always hesitant to say that because you get into the draft and there's a player in a situation you didn't think you were going to draft in a certain round and all of a sudden the value is there if it's a player you love and it's a guy that can change your team, you have to be open-minded that way.

Linebacker has to be the main focus on defense, right?

Sure. We don't have a lot of guys under contract right now so it's certainly a position we have to a great job evaluating.

I really like the idea of doubling down on LSU guys and taking Patrick Queen at 33. It’s still early though.

44 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting, this is the list that was posted last January 2019 on the 18th and was last updated on the 18th, and Ed Oliver is clearly on it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011444/article/list-of-underclassmen-granted-eligibility-for-2019-nfl-draft

This one for this year after the 17th and Simmons is not on it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I see Cinci going CB or WR or Josh Johnson/Trey Adams. Ross can't be depended on and only has a year left on his rookie deal. Tate on his last year. Bengals could use a WR even if Green stays, and they will probably need to replace Dennard at CB.They could also really use a LB or TE to replace Eifert. Don't think OT in round 2 is a shoe-in, even if it's a glaring need. Plus they could sign a guy in FA. Maybe they get Conklin. They should back the truck up for him if he's not tagged by the Titans.

Edited by Jeezla

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It all depends how the board falls. I wouldn’t say we’re honing in on an position in particular. OL, LB and WR are the most obvious, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see us go CB, DE, or DT depending on whi falls. In Taylor’s most recent interview he emphasized that defense is likely in play at 33:

I really like the idea of doubling down on LSU guys and taking Patrick Queen at 33. It’s still early though.

I could see a hpst of players we could target after Burrow.  Jefferson for sure.  How about Thaddeus Moss?  We didn't target tEs as much last year in Taylor's offense, but we seemed to go to them a lot more the second half of the season.  Quenn or Divinity later on at LB.

And I already want to see Chase next year, especially if we tag and trade Green.

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Even if it was a Ricky Williams type trade, still do not think they could get him.  This is what that trade included.

• 1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)
  • 1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)
  • 1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)[15]
  • 1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)
  • 1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)
  • 1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)
  • 2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)
  • 2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)

I'll add to that.  Mike Brown turned that deal down to take.............. Akili Smith.  There is absolutely no way Brown takes that deal.  I'd be hard pressed to take Miami's five picks in the first two rounds if they actually offered it (they won't).

EOmb3epU0AAIqls.jpg:large

He did finally officially declare today.  

So I assume that means these guys are going back to school of the ones who I have not heard a big announcement they are returning, is a surprise with Brown and especially with Scott based on how good he was this season.

Jordon Scott Oregon JR
Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR
Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame RS JR
Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS JR
Camryn Bynum Cal RS JR

Edited by Ozzy