Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

Just now, Forge said:

Seems light. I feel like any time I'm getting 50/50 on your inebriation I should wager on the side of drunkenness

Not betting on my inebriation...but betting on it getting to the point of me missing an alarm in the morning to open the thread.

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:
On 4/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, N4L said:

Your 38 year old QB tears his UCL and your immediate response is to trade away your first round pick for a saftey??? Even if you get a good player back in the trade, and ben comes back and you are good for a year, now you have a much later pick and again have no chance to get your QBOTF, and Ben is a year closer to retirement. 

Sorry but this is an AWFUL take. In the moment yes it looked questionable but it CLEARLY turned out in our favor. So once Ben went down you think we should have just completely tanked our season away for a chance to draft Justin Herbert? Glad you’re not our GM. And newsflash, the chances that Herbert even makes it to 18 is very slim which makes this take even more ludicrous.

We have a minimum of 2 years left with Ben and he claims to feel better than he has in years. I’m not surprised after a full season off to rest and recover. We are going to give it everything we have to get another ring while we still have Ben and every move the FO has made in the last 2 seasons has indicated that.

If we still had our FRP I’d be willing to bet pretty much anything it wouldn’t be spent on Herbert. Hell if we had the first pick I’d be willing to bet we wouldn’t spend it on Burrow. 

Only a fool would take Justin Herbert over a proven all-pro, chess piece, and difference maker in Minkah Fitzpatrick, regardless of their QB situation. That trade completely changed the trajectory of our season, our defense, and our chances at winning a Super Bowl in the Ben window. Do I need to go pull the team statistics from before/after that trade?

Sorry to derail the thread but anyone who still thinks the Steelers shouldn’t have made that trade clearly doesn’t know much about the team or didn’t watch football at all last season.

Forget Herbert for a second - how was watching rudolph and duck throw passes last year? Do you think that with better QB play but worse FS play that your team might have made the playoffs? Your offense was absolutely pitiful last year. Obviously you couldnt have added any QB during last season, but the point I am making is that QB play >>>> any other position in football. Top 3 defense yet you still missed the playoffs. go figure. 

You say 2 years minimum, I say that you have zero way of saying that definitively. Ben has had injury problems for the last 10 years. UCLs are no joke. Some people never recover fully from Tommy John surgery. of course he says he feels better than ever, what else is ben going to say?

I watched a lot of steelers games last year. Minkah was very fortunate to recover as many fumbles as he did. He is a good player, but what he did this year had a fair amount of luck involved. I like Minkah, hes a good player. That doesnt mean that it was the right trade to make at that time, nor does it mean that it was a good trade in hindsight. Was it good value? sure, it was good value. He has a lot of time left on his rookie deal and is a good player. Safties have been undervalued recently. None of them get big money except earl thomas. That should tell you what NFL GMs think about the positional value of guys like Minkah. How many mediocre/average QBs get paid? You think that is on accident or because the positional value delta is so large? 

Dont call me a fool and then tell me the steelers wouldnt even take Joe Burrow with their first round pick given the chance. That would be extremely foolish. You dont pass on QBOTFs is my whole point. 

Smart franchises understand the value of having a QBOTF on your roster before you let go of a hall of famer. 49ers had steve young, packers had brett favre, pats had Garoppolo (before bill was forced to trade jimmy). Franchises who have 38 year old QBs with an injury history list longer than his rapsheet that are also coming off Tommy John need to have succession plans. Normally guys understand it too, but Ben would probably ***** and moan about the steelers drafting a QB in the first, if we are being honest. He was pissed you guys took someone in the 4th lol 

Just because the trade worked out for ONE season, doesnt mean it was the right trade. Being slightly worse than you were, having a top pick, getting a QBOTF could benefit you for 5+ years (or more). 

As I said before, best case scenario for the steelers ben comes back healthy and they make the playoffs... well now ben is even closer to retirement but you still dont have anyone who can replace him

18 hours ago, rackcs said:

We'd be picking at 18 this year, that is not prime franchise QB range. You talk about having too late a pick to get our QBOTF but we're already too late. And as a final point, having a late first rounder has not stopped teams from getting their guys at QB in recent years. Mahomes and Watson were both gotten in the same draft by teams who traded up to get them. It may cost a steep price but it's worth it if you get a franchise guy.

You would have been drafting lower than 18, undoubtedly. Minkah helped you guys win 3-4 games with his clutch turnovers. That defense undoubtedly became a top 3 unit after minkah got there (SF, NE, PIT). I have never disputed Minkah or why he was a good fit for you. My whole point is that trading away your first round pick when you are 0-2 and your only serviceable QB has a career altering injury is bad business

Both of those teams used FRPs in the current year to trade up to get a QB. You say you dont like herbert, fine. You are saying now that the steelers could trade up to 18-22 if Tua was available? There is no way they could move up that far without trading the house and then some. No way. Too expensive. SO because you traded for Minkah, Tua fell right into the patriots laps. 

Does that make sense to you now?

Sorry to derail the thread.

Charlie Campbells Final Mock is out. This guy is Media Mock Draft Champion three years in a row: 2017 (11/32), 2018 (10/32), and 2019 (10/32). 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020charlie.php

- He has the Raiders getting Henry Ruggs III at 12 (over Jeudy)

- He has Isaiah Simmons falling to 15 to the Broncos

- He has the Raiders trading 19 to the Jaguars for Yannick. 

If this is how draft day unfolds, perhaps I should find a new hobby.... (kidding, if I can survive the Al Davis Late-Years, I can survive anything)

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Charlie Campbells Final Mock is out. This guy is Media Mock Draft Champion three years in a row: 2017 (11/32), 2018 (10/32), and 2019 (10/32). 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020charlie.php

- He has the Raiders getting Henry Ruggs III at 12 (over Jeudy)

- He has Isaiah Simmons falling to 15 to the Broncos

- He has the Raiders trading 19 to the Jaguars for Yannick. 

If this is how draft day unfolds, perhaps I should find a new hobby.... (kidding, if I can survive the Al Davis Late-Years, I can survive anything)

All mocks should be released at 4 AM. I never understand the popularity of those daylight hours anyway.

Seems like lots of receivers very early in that mock. Doesn't normally pan out that way. Maybe the weakness at edge will enable some oddities.

Regardless, he's got Tua at 5. I'll take that as a Dolphins fan. Basically I look at this draft as Tua and/or Love as success. Anything else would be a Miami failure.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Forget Herbert for a second - how was watching rudolph and duck throw passes last year? Do you think that with better QB play but worse FS play that your team might have made the playoffs? Your offense was absolutely pitiful last year. Obviously you couldnt have added any QB during last season, but the point I am making is that QB play >>>> any other position in football. Top 3 defense yet you still missed the playoffs. go figure. 

You say 2 years minimum, I say that you have zero way of saying that definitively. Ben has had injury problems for the last 10 years. UCLs are no joke. Some people never recover fully from Tommy John surgery. of course he says he feels better than ever, what else is ben going to say?

I watched a lot of steelers games last year. Minkah was very fortunate to recover as many fumbles as he did. He is a good player, but what he did this year had a fair amount of luck involved. I like Minkah, hes a good player. That doesnt mean that it was the right trade to make at that time, nor does it mean that it was a good trade in hindsight. Was it good value? sure, it was good value. He has a lot of time left on his rookie deal and is a good player. Safties have been undervalued recently. None of them get big money except earl thomas. That should tell you what NFL GMs think about the positional value of guys like Minkah. How many mediocre/average QBs get paid? You think that is on accident or because the positional value delta is so large? 

Dont call me a fool and then tell me the steelers wouldnt even take Joe Burrow with their first round pick given the chance. That would be extremely foolish. You dont pass on QBOTFs is my whole point. 

Smart franchises understand the value of having a QBOTF on your roster before you let go of a hall of famer. 49ers had steve young, packers had brett favre, pats had Garoppolo (before bill was forced to trade jimmy). Franchises who have 38 year old QBs with an injury history list longer than his rapsheet that are also coming off Tommy John need to have succession plans. Normally guys understand it too, but Ben would probably ***** and moan about the steelers drafting a QB in the first, if we are being honest. He was pissed you guys took someone in the 4th lol 

Just because the trade worked out for ONE season, doesnt mean it was the right trade. Being slightly worse than you were, having a top pick, getting a QBOTF could benefit you for 5+ years (or more). 

As I said before, best case scenario for the steelers ben comes back healthy and they make the playoffs... well now ben is even closer to retirement but you still dont have anyone who can replace him

You would have been drafting lower than 18, undoubtedly. Minkah helped you guys win 3-4 games with his clutch turnovers. That defense undoubtedly became a top 3 unit after minkah got there (SF, NE, PIT). I have never disputed Minkah or why he was a good fit for you. My whole point is that trading away your first round pick when you are 0-2 and your only serviceable QB has a career altering injury is bad business

Both of those teams used FRPs in the current year to trade up to get a QB. You say you dont like herbert, fine. You are saying now that the steelers could trade up to 18-22 if Tua was available? There is no way they could move up that far without trading the house and then some. No way. Too expensive. SO because you traded for Minkah, Tua fell right into the patriots laps. 

Does that make sense to you now?

Sorry to derail the thread.

Bro no one is arguing that safeties are more important that quarterbacks.

Thanks to the Minkah trade, we have a roster that (with Ben) is ready to a compete for a super bowl right now. If we don’t make that trade we probably are picking around the 10-14 range and still isn’t a great spot to land a QB in this draft anyway. And before you say trade up, we already did that last year for Devin Bush so we wouldn’t have the capital necessary. 

Bottom line is our FO is hell bent on winning a SB in the next two years and thanks to their aggressive moves they’ve made it a realistic chance. I think we all know we are mortgaging the future to make that happen but I’m fine with that. Also, Minkah still has 3 years on his rookie deal which is an absolute bargain. And calling Minkah “lucky” for all his “fumble recoveries” is just silly. You clearly didn’t watch the man play. As I mentioned, go look up the TEAM defensive stats from before and after the trade. They are well documented so I am not going to waste my time looking them up for you.

And again, thank god you are not our GM and I think any other Steelers fan would agree. Winning a super bowl and sucking for 1-2 years before you find a new QB is 100 times better than not winning one for the sake of “having your QBOTF on the roster.”

Edited by bigben07MVP

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

All mocks should be released at 4 AM. I never understand the popularity of those daylight hours anyway.

Seems like lots of receivers very early in that mock. Doesn't normally pan out that way. Maybe the weakness at edge will enable some oddities.

Regardless, he's got Tua at 5. I'll take that as a Dolphins fan. Basically I look at this draft as Tua and/or Love as success. Anything else would be a Miami failure.

You better hope they draft Tua, then, my friend.