Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Sorry to derail the thread

Too late, you already did that when you took the opportunity to wildly bash the Steelers Minkah trade to answer the question “who will take Justin Herbert if he falls” 😂

Move along ‘folks it’s draft day.

21 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

if Miami don't move up or take Tua at their spot, i'm gonna assume he's broken.

Does anyone have the percentage for QBs selected in the first round that were traded up for? If I recall correctly it’s an absurd number (something like 80%+). Lbs 

Essentially, if a team plans on taking a specific QB, they don’t wait around for them to fall.

I still think Tua goes 3 to Miami, unless his medical is substantially worse than what we’ve been lead to believe. There’s no excuse with the draft capitol they possess to secure “their guy”. I also refuse to believe any team could be that guy on prospect of Herbert’s caliber.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I have a very strong feeling he's their pick.

Hey guys. Remember when the Jets "Sucked for Sam Darnold?" Remember that? They sort of blew up their roster to acquire assets, etc because they loved him. And then, you know, a year later, during the draft process, he had suffered quite the fall from grace. Some people still had him as their number 1 QB, but there were also people who were calling for him to go back to school and rehab his stock. There were also MANY people who had him as their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th-ranked QB in the draft. There were questions around him that were expected to hold him back, even though, as a player, he was pretty clean (my comp was young Tony Romo). 

Sound familiar? Starting to come together, right?

Well, the Jets hadn't quite lost enough for the full tank to work out, so they were put out of expected range for their top QB. It didn't matter though. They ended up getting him anyway! Sam was the guy they wanted all along, but through a twist of luck and a little bit of moving assets, they were able to take him at #3 overall!

I expect Tua's draft arc with the Dolphins to be a mirror-image (though his questions are about injuries). 

The Dolphins blew everything up a year ago. They disassembled their roster and sent their best players packing, acquiring picks in the process. Tua was once regarded as the top prospect, and it was well-published that Miami was trying to "Tank for Tua Tagovailo'a." Then they didn't quite lose enough, and were expected to miss out on him. Except they won't, because once again, a different QB is going #1 overall and they'll get their shot to draft him, likely through moving up to #3 overall, exactly like what happened two years ago!

I love it when everything comes together. Tua's injury is EXACTLY what the the Dolphins needed for their plans to come to fruition.

Alright. So a young Tony Romo was my comp for the Jets' franchise QB. How about my comp for Miami's young franchise QB? My official comp for Tua Tagovailo'a is a more mobile Drew Brees.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Does anyone have the percentage for QBs selected in the first round that were traded up for? If I recall correctly it’s an absurd number (something like 80%+). Lbs 

Essentially, if a team plans on taking a specific QB, they don’t wait around for them to fall.

I still think Tua goes 3 to Miami, unless his medical is substantially worse than what we’ve been lead to believe. There’s no excuse with the draft capitol they possess to secure “their guy”. I also refuse to believe any team could be that guy on prospect of Herbert’s caliber.

Trying to think of recent QBs selected in the league where the team wasn't already picking at 1. Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Darnold, Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen,  Rosen all trades up. Then you got teams moving up from 2nd round to get Bridgewater, Lamar and even Denver traded up in the 2nd to get Lock. Daniel Jones notably wasn't a trade up. 

Keep thinking about the Bears trading up one spot to get Trubisky in a draft with Mahomes and Watson. If he's your guy, teams usually make the move. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Big Blue View is very reliable. Ed Valentine is good at what he does.

This is notable. I think the Jags want Herbert, and know they have to jump Miami/LAC for him. I didn't think they'd go QB, but here we are.

For the Giants, moving back to 9 and picking up 42 would be huge. At 9, they are still ahead of teams like Cleveland and the Jets, who also need OTs. They most likely won't be able to get their top guy (that might go to the Cardinals), but they can still get one of the big 4 for sure. Burrow, Young, Okudah, Herbert, Tua are guaranteed to go before 9, assuming a Jags trade up. If all the other picks are tackles, Giants still get the remaining guy.

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Trying to think of recent QBs selected in the league where the team wasn't already picking at 1. Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Darnold, Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen,  Rosen all trades up. Then you got teams moving up from 2nd round to get Bridgewater, Lamar and even Denver traded up in the 2nd to get Lock. Daniel Jones notably wasn't a trade up. 

Keep thinking about the Bears trading up one spot to get Trubisky in a draft with Mahomes and Watson. If he's your guy, teams usually make the move. 

Yup. That's why all the talk of Miami moving up for a tackle is nonsense. If they are moving up, it is for Tua. I think Jacksonville knows that, if they are trying to move up to 4. It is the only way they get Herbert. Have they been linked to Herbert pre-draft?

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

It could be as simple as teams weren't given the time and attention it took to determine whether or not he is broken. Professional teams put a ton of effort into their own testing...it's not as simple as interviewing the player and looking at his op-report and images.

• Like 1