Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I just don’t know if I buy into the notion that a team passes on a QB and then comes back a second time and takes him. QB is too valuable a position and too much of a commitment to go “half-in”; it’s either all or nothing. If you like the QB enough, you take him as early as you can. We saw it last year with Daniel Jones and New York. 

Then they won't take either if that's the thought.

If this regime is on its last legs, what happens if you draft a guy and they get canned next year? You're going to force that QB on a new regime? Good luck getting anyone to jump into that unless they loved that guy too.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If this regime is on its last legs, what happens if you draft a guy and they get canned next year? You're going to force that QB on a new regime? Good luck getting anyone to jump into that unless they loved that guy too.

If a regime is on its last legs, a CB isn't going to save you. Drafting a franchise QB will. If self preservation is the goal here, they take a QB. And at the end of the day, Tua is an easy sell to ownership if he is cleared by your medical staff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You guys just need to Tank for Trevor

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If a regime is on its last legs, a CB isn't going to save you. Drafting a franchise QB will. If self preservation is the goal here, they take a QB. And at the end of the day, Tua is an easy sell to ownership if he is cleared by your medical staff.

They have a young QB who was a rookie last year and outplayed the field of rookie QB's with a guy off the street at TE and an OL that forced Foles to get benched and went 6-6. Giving him actual talent outside of Chark is much more likely to bring wins than a rookie QB. 

This will be an epic draft.

This year, Jones will make the Cowboys’ pick from his home, with no one else around. Which means no one will be there to physically restrain him, if it comes to that. And Jones joked that in the past, it would come to that.

“One of the things I’m not going to miss is when I came out of those draft rooms over the weekend, my old shins used to have big old bruises on them,” Jones said. “That was from Stephen kicking me under the table for three straight days relative to some of our decision-making. I know that we have a serious conference here, but I think I’m going to kind of miss that physical punching that goes on. I told him one time, I asked him where he got his strength when he was 16 years old, he had his uncle down, about to kill him, choked him. He was a big boy, that uncle. And I said, ‘I don’t feel that when I’m rasslin with you.’ He said, ‘Well, you don’t squeeze your daddy as hard as you can.’ The point is, I’m going to miss a little of that punching around at the table as we’re conducting this draft.”

Jones says he doesn’t expect any technical difficulties when communicating with the league office or with other teams on trades.

“I’m very comfortable that the technical capability is very much here,” Jones said.

When it’s time for the Cowboys to make the call, it will be Jerry and Jerry alone making it.

• Like 8

Leonard Williams signed his franchise tag tender, which does have implications for the draft. There is/was a chance the Giants take Derrick Brown in this draft. If that were to be the case, the assumption is that Gettleman would rescind Williams's franchise tag, as we would have an overload at DT. We already have Leonard Williams, first round pick last year Dexter Lawrence, recent 2nd round pick Dalvin Tomlinson, and recent 3rd round pick BJ Hill, all of which are pretty good players. A move would have to be made, and the franchise tag rescinded is what would be expected. However, with the signing, it can't be rescinded anymore. That makes the chance of drafting Brown much less likely, either at 4 or wherever the Giants end up drafting if they trade back.

1. I can see a contingency plan in place between NYG and Jax  for 9/42. Good deal for both sides, as Jax needs a qb and NYG may get their first choice at 9 anyway.

2. If other teams see it as credible, this move would compress all the quarterbacks to the top of the draft, which is great for the teams that don't really want a qb.

3. The reason the Falcons are thin is that the Falcons trade up for no blanking reason. They like the splash. You also have two things going on. One, they had a late season run cuz they fixed their coaching lineup and they think they are better than they are, and two the GM & HFC have a win now or else mandate from ownership, which is functionally equivalent to saying, "Please, rape my multi-billion dollar franchise while I watch."

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That seems to be the going rate for non-QBs.  Either deal a SRP or a future FRP.

It's made up that the price changes based on whether it's a QB or not, it's all supply and demand. Only reason the going rate was higher for RG3/Wentz/Darnold etc is because there were multiple teams trying to move up or the team wasn't desperate to move down. It's all supply and demand.

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It's made up that the price changes based on whether it's a QB or not, it's all supply and demand. Only reason the going rate was higher for RG3/Wentz/Darnold etc is because there were multiple teams trying to move up or the team wasn't desperate to move down. It's all supply and demand.

Naturally there's not going to be as much desperation for a non-QB