Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yep, that's another one. Were you surprised Fromm dropped as far as he did, considering you once had him just outside top 10 overall not so long ago? Or was the final season that bad enough.

Who??? I haven't ever been high on Fromm.

I feel a little crazy saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Gettleman is inarguably a top-5 GM talent evaluator when it comes to drafting. The guy simply drafts good players. He gets himself into trouble everywhere else, but he is damn good at that aspect of his job.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

It hit me when I heard Goodell say the words "Jordan Love".

This was a draft where, in a couple of years, Packer fans may all end up agreeing that they hated it at the time but it ended up working out in the end.  To me, it just seems like your GM and HC both want to install "their system."  As is often the case, they also want to start out with their own hand-picked QB to run it on the field too.  Rodgers has been great, but it makes sense to get Love in there and teach him the way they want him to run the offense.  With an established QB, they may be clashing with what they want and with the way Rodgers wants to do things.  If they can get Love up to speed in a couple of years, they can trade Rodgers and still get a decent price for him in return.  The other players seemed to all be geared toward installing an offense similar to what Shanahan is running in San Francisco.  Hang in there, buddy.  It may turn out pretty well in the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I feel a little crazy saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Gettleman is inarguably a top-5 GM talent evaluator when it comes to drafting. The guy simply drafts good players. He gets himself into trouble everywhere else, but he is damn good at that aspect of his job.

Not so different than Jeff Ireland

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He's also drafted 2nd, 6th, and 4th.  Easier to draft good players when you're picking that high.

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not sure how that's inarguable.

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

This was a draft where, in a couple of years, Packer fans may all end up agreeing that they hated it at the time but it ended up working out in the end.  To me, it just seems like your GM and HC both want to install "their system."  As is often the case, they also want to start out with their own hand-picked QB to run it on the field too.  Rodgers has been great, but it makes sense to get Love in there and teach him the way they want him to run the offense.  With an established QB, they may be clashing with what they want and with the way Rodgers wants to do things.  If they can get Love up to speed in a couple of years, they can trade Rodgers and still get a decent price for him in return.  The other players seemed to all be geared toward installing an offense similar to what Shanahan is running in San Francisco.  Hang in there, buddy.  It may turn out pretty well in the end.

I felt bad for Jordan Love because I think he's capable of playing at a high level long before he'll ever have the opportunity in Green Bay.

However, that pick was the most ineptly analyzed choice in the entire draft. Green Bay didn't need another wide receiver. They needed Aaron Rodgers to wake up and realize he's been coasting for years. I provided those numbers the other day. That was the benefit of drafting Jordan Love...an opportunity for a self-aimed kick in the pants from Rodgers. 

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I felt bad for Jordan Love because I think he's capable of playing at a high level long before he'll ever have the opportunity in Green Bay.

However, that pick was the most ineptly analyzed choice in the entire draft. Green Bay didn't need another wide receiver. They needed Aaron Rodgers to wake up and realize he's been coasting for years. I provided those numbers the other day. That was the benefit of drafting Jordan Love...an opportunity for a self-aimed kick in the pants from Rodgers. 

It's possible, but I think it's more likely that he is just starting to show his age.  People forget that not every quarterback is lucky enough to play to the age of 40+ like Favre, Brady, etc.  In the case of Rodgers, his game has dropped off over the last 3-4 years already, and he has also had some injuries that could be having an effect as well.  If I were Green Bay, I would hope to get Love up to speed in 2 years and then try to trade Rodgers while he still has maximum value.  If you are operating in a run-heavy scheme, there is no need for a $40M/year quarterback.  Better to put some of that money into the defense or whatever another area that needs to be improved upon.  My guess is that Rodgers has 2 more years left in Green Bay.  If they wanted him to be around longer, they would have drafted some weapons to help him out.  By not drafting a single receiver in a draft like this one, they pretty much indicated where they stand with Rodgers and their plans for the future.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It's possible, but I think it's more likely that he is just starting to show his age.  People forget that not every quarterback is lucky enough to play to the age of 40+ like Favre, Brady, etc.  In the case of Rodgers, his game has dropped off over the last 3-4 years already, and he has also had some injuries that could be having an effect as well.  If I were Green Bay, I would hope to get Love up to speed in 2 years and then try to trade Rodgers while he still has maximum value.  If you are operating in a run-heavy scheme, there is no need for a $40M/year quarterback.  Better to put some of that money into the defense or whatever another area that needs to be improved upon.  My guess is that Rodgers has 2 more years left in Green Bay.  If they wanted him to be around longer, they would have drafted some weapons to help him out.  By not drafting a single receiver in a draft like this one, they pretty much indicated where they stand with Rodgers and their plans for the future.

Remember that Rodgers game has always been based on arm talent and athleticism, he was never going to keep that up as long as Brady/Manning/Brees and other cerebral QBs. His best hope now is to reinvent himself as a QB who can dissect the defense based on average arm talent/athleticism. Love will take over in 2022 which is best for him anyway because he’s SO raw that he needs 2 years on the bench, conveniently that’s the time Rodgers will become tradeable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Same thing with Jalen Hurts except they want him for his intangibles and durability.

• Like 1