Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly what I was afraid of...

Without offseason on-field practice but also in general, I believe it's wise that they don't overload him. He is a freakish athlete and very smart, but regardless it's a big jump in play speed and scheme complexity. Flip flopping between positions could hurt his development. Reddick and Bucannon were two recent 1st round picks by the Cards - nowhere near as talented as Simmons - that were hurt by switching between positions early on in their careers. Reddick looked more natural at 3-4 OLB last year, he was lost in space off the ball. Bucannon was drafted to be a forceful SS, then jumped in at LB and had early success, before opponents took advantage of his small size at LB. Simmons should learn the LB Position next to Hicks. He can actually rush the QB, spy on the QB, drop back into coverage, cover the slot, use his sideline to sideline range, and match up with TEs that have killed the Cardinals in recent years. All from the LB spot. Eventually we could see him off the edge or Shadowing Kittle no matter where the 49ers move him. He will for sure spy on Russell Wilson. In the end, it's all coaches speak that shouldn't have any weight. Considering the Cardinals have been killed by TEs and especially Kittle, the deadly outside zone run schemes of the Rams and 49ers, and how many times Russell Wilson torched them outside the pocket - I've never seen an elite prospect that matched need + BPA + being a perfect fit to counter the biggest threats in the division.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Without offseason on-field practice but also in general, I believe it's wise that they don't overload him. He is a freakish athlete and very smart, but regardless it's a big jump in play speed and scheme complexity. Flip flopping between positions could hurt his development. Reddick and Bucannon were two recent 1st round picks by the Cards - nowhere near as talented as Simmons - that were hurt by switching between positions early on in their careers. Reddick looked more natural at 3-4 OLB last year, he was lost in space off the ball. Bucannon was drafted to be a forceful SS, then jumped in at LB and had early success, before opponents took advantage of his small size at LB. Simmons should learn the LB Position next to Hicks. He can actually rush the QB, spy on the QB, drop back into coverage, cover the slot, use his sideline to sideline range, and match up with TEs that have killed the Cardinals in recent years. All from the LB spot. Eventually we could see him off the edge or Shadowing Kittle no matter where the 49ers move him. He will for sure spy on Russell Wilson. In the end, it's all coaches speak that shouldn't have any weight. Considering the Cardinals have been killed by TEs and especially Kittle, the deadly outside zone run schemes of the Rams and 49ers, and how many times Russell Wilson torched them outside the pocket - I've never seen an elite prospect that matched need + BPA + being a perfect fit to counter the biggest threats in the division.

All this is true, but I have this feeling of dread that they'll waste him by having him take on blocks from linemen in the run game far too often.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

This is why when they drafted him I said I was okay with it. Maybe they change it up in the end after all, but this is what I want to hear

well he said a bunch of stuff 

one was that he would play safety particularly against the 49ers to guard Kittle 

also the reporter above and this one used the same quote to get two different stories lol

That’s my issue with Simmons. I’m not sure he’s a natural LBer, but I don’t see him as capable as playing as a pure safety either. To me, he’s a guy that’ll have to play like Derwin James when he’s near the LOS but doesn’t have the safety ability James has. I think if you ask him to man up on Kittle for a majority of the game - he gets smoked. Keep him clean near the LOS, let him use his athleticism and thrive by working in space. 

Simmons might line up as a LB, but that doesn't mean his assignments won't mirror those of an in the box safety.  I guarantee he'll match up 1 on 1 with TE's, RB's, and maybe even slot WR's.  A sound bite doesn't dictate an entire defensive scheme.

37 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s my issue with Simmons. I’m not sure he’s a natural LBer, but I don’t see him as capable as playing as a pure safety either. To me, he’s a guy that’ll have to play like Derwin James when he’s near the LOS but doesn’t have the safety ability James has. I think if you ask him to man up on Kittle for a majority of the game - he gets smoked. Keep him clean near the LOS, let him use his athleticism and thrive by working in space. 

I disagree on Kittle. The strongest aspect of Simmons's skill-set is his ability to man up on TEs.

13 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Simmons might line up as a LB, but that doesn't mean his assignments won't mirror those of an in the box safety.  I guarantee he'll match up 1 on 1 with TE's, RB's, and maybe even slot WR's.  A sound bite doesn't dictate an entire defensive scheme.

I think NFL slot WRs would toast him. He's too leggy.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I disagree on Kittle. The strongest aspect of Simmons's skill-set is his ability to man up on TEs.

Henderson/Okudah both had good displays of man coverage, but that doesn’t mean I’d put them manned up on Julio all day and expect good results. Putting Simmons in strict man coverage in the slot (or in line) against elite tight ends/many slot receivers is asking him to get worked IMO. We’ll see if that happens or not.

Edited by Yin-Yang

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Henderson/Okudah both had good displays of man coverage, but that doesn’t mean I’d put them manned up on Julio all day and expect good results. Putting Simmons manner up in the slot (or in line) against elite tight ends/many slot receivers is asking him to get worked IMO. We’ll see if that happens or not.

I don't think anyone(I hope) is just suggesting you man him up on Kittle all game with no help.  That never works.  Do I think he could do it at times during the game?  Absolutely.  

No chance in hell he could do it all game.  No defensive player could.  If you tried to ask Gilmore to cover a top 3 WR in man all game with no help, he'd get burned eventually.

35 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Henderson/Okudah both had good displays of man coverage, but that doesn’t mean I’d put them manned up on Julio all day and expect good results. Putting Simmons in strict man coverage in the slot (or in line) against elite tight ends/many slot receivers is asking him to get worked IMO. We’ll see if that happens or not.

Kittle isn't a slot WR. Simmons's skill-set is a great match for Kittle's.