Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I don't think anyone(I hope) is just suggesting you man him up on Kittle all game with no help.  That never works.  Do I think he could do it at times during the game?  Absolutely.  

No chance in hell he could do it all game.  No defensive player could.  If you tried to ask Gilmore to cover a top 3 WR in man all game with no help, he'd get burned eventually.

I didn’t say with no help, just covering him in man for a majority of the game. And maybe no one, verbatim, said all game, but it’s not a matchup I think is favorable for Simmons. Or most players in the league.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Kittle isn't a slot WR. Simmons's skill-set is a great match for Kittle's.

Never said he was.

But I don’t think putting Simmons in man on a consistent basis against Kittle, other elite receiving tight ends, or many slot receivers, is a matchup that is favorable for Simmons. We’ll see.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Never said he was.

But I don’t think putting Simmons in man on a consistent basis against Kittle, other elite receiving tight ends, or many slot receivers, is a matchup that is favorable for Simmons. We’ll see.

That's exactly why you draft him. He's a TE eraser. The guy cannot handle slot WRs. That's not his job. But he is the type of talent who can erase the game's best TEs. He has the size, speed, and length to disrupt their games. He's too leggy to stick with slot WRs, but he doesn't have that issue against TEs.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That's exactly why you draft him. He's a TE eraser. The guy cannot handle slot WRs. That's not his job. But he is the type of talent who can erase the game's best TEs. He has the size, speed, and length to disrupt their games. He's too leggy to stick with slot WRs, but he doesn't have that issue against TEs.

Don’t agree that he’s going to be an eraser for Kittle, but we’ll see. There’s a lot more to it than size, speed, and length.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Don’t agree that he’s going to be an eraser for Kittle, but we’ll see. There’s a lot more to it than size, speed, and length.

It's hard to erase any superstar, but if he can keep him in check, he's doing his job. And yes, I am aware there's more to it than that. But nobody doubts his ability to cover big guys.

I see no reason why Simmons can’t be at least a WLB. The ability is there. 

I think the issue people have with Simmons’ versatility is the feeling that if you plug him in one position you’re not getting the most out of him. You’re sort of limiting him. Simmons can definitely be a difference maker at LB

Edited by Kip Smithers
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, Uncle Buck said:

It hit me about halfway through the 6th round.  I have decided I like the draft even better than the playoffs.

Makes sense, considering you are a Vikings fan 

(Sorry I couldn't resist) 

On 4/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, jrry32 said:

Sadly, I agree with you and @Fullback I said it in the niners forum, Arizona was historically bad at covering TEs. That's what they are going to have him do. 

My solution was to run right at him and let kittle/juicecheck, mcglinchey, Trent Williams etc get their hands on him. That defense still has a lot of holes but Simmons is a centerpiece. Pp, Jones, Simmons - they have elite talent at every level now 

I blame the Texans/BOB for Simmons going to Arizona. You don't trade away Hopkins to a team with the 8th overall pick without it being included in the package 

I know kittle welcomes the challenge. Bring it on, rookie 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:06 AM, max said:

When was the last time a rookie OLB shutdown a great TE? Maybe Lawrence Taylor did it. 

Taylor could cover, but his pass effectiveness was in order...

1. Sacking
2. Arms up in pass rush and batting down passes
3. Dropping running backs on swing passes

4. Disrupting tight end routes by knocking the hell out of them
5. Staying with a receiver

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:06 AM, max said:

When was the last time a rookie OLB shutdown a great TE? Maybe Lawrence Taylor did it. 

Fun fact:

Joe Gibbs creates the “single back offense” to occupy LT coming off the edge in blitz pickup/swinging out to make him peel. He never really had to/was asked to cover a TE in the seam, albeit he could have.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

My opinion:

Thomas
Wirfs
Becton
Wills

I'd agree with this order.  However, they're all very different prospects.  If Becton develops his pass blocking, he'll be the best one of the class.  Wirfs is a better RT or OG prospect, and if he moved to the interior, he's probably immediately one of the league's best.  Wills is athletic, but not as athletic as Wirfs or Becton, and pretty polished, but not as polished as Thomas.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...