Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So either Carolina had a QB3 who they LOVED, but are now going to miss out on OR they legitimately like Darnold better.  Seems to me the former is the more likely possibility.

Unquestionably the former is more likely and logical. Great way to look at it. That's why as a Dolphins fan I am furious for Chris Grier for being so clueless and bailing early. I don't think he had any idea that his opinion on Mac Jones might not be shared by other teams in the league, and specifically the ones desperate to move up for a quarterback. I also don't think Grier had any clue regarding Matt Rhule and how aggressive he is. Grier could have allowed Kyle Shanahan and Matt Rhule to battle each other to the wire. But Grier brainstorms no I don't want any part of that. I just want to do my cotillion dance back to pick #6.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

2 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Unquestionably the former is more likely and logical. Great way to look at it. That's why as a Dolphins fan I am furious for Chris Grier for being so clueless and bailing early. I don't think he had any idea that his opinion on Mac Jones might not be shared by other teams in the league, and specifically the ones desperate to move up for a quarterback. I also don't think Grier had any clue regarding Matt Rhule and how aggressive he is. Grier could have allowed Kyle Shanahan and Matt Rhule to battle each other to the wire. But Grier brainstorms no I don't want any part of that. I just want to do my cotillion dance back to pick #6.

I mean, I think this had more to do with Grier not thinking he could get a better deal from Carolina.  I mean, two future FRPs plus another 3rd round pick next year is a high price to pay.  I believe the only other time we saw 3 FRPs go in a first round trade was the RG3 trade when WFT traded 2 future FRPs to move from 6 to 2.  Now if you want to say that he jumped the gun by trading back up to 6, go right ahead.  But that's probably because he wanted to walk away with one of Smith/Chase/Pitts while maximizing the value of the 3rd pick.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I think this had more to do with Grier not thinking he could get a better deal from Carolina.  I mean, two future FRPs plus another 3rd round pick next year is a high price to pay.  I believe the only other time we saw 3 FRPs go in a first round trade was the RG3 trade when WFT traded 2 future FRPs to move from 6 to 2.  Now if you want to say that he jumped the gun by trading back up to 6, go right ahead.  But that's probably because he wanted to walk away with one of Smith/Chase/Pitts while maximizing the value of the 3rd pick.

I may be mistaken, but I do believe that his issue was mainly the trade back up. Don't think it was the initial trade down. That's what I remember from the news forum thread. 

I doubt Shanahan and general manager John Lynch are telling their assistants (other than maybe assistant GM Adam Peters) what they’re thinking. And they likely wouldn’t share that until right up until the draft. (That’s normally how teams with top picks operate). They also don’t have a reputation for being leaky since Shanahan and Lynch took over.

My hunch is that the Jones-to-49ers narrative isn’t fueled by leaks as much as by connecting the dots. The 49ers undoubtedly are gathering as much background as possible on the player they like at No. 3. That means Zoom calls with that player, interviews with that player’s former coaches, confidantes, etc. The agents of these players know exactly who’s talked to whom. So by the time the draft rolls around they have a pretty good — though not foolproof — idea of who’s going where.

You also have to look at who is reporting Jones to the 49ers. Leading that charge is Schefter, who has a strong reputation for accuracy and who happens to be close to Mike Shanahan. Schefter and Mike Shanahan wrote a book together. Who is assisting Kyle Shananan on this big decision? Mike Shanahan.

From Matt Barrows of the Athletic. As I said in the niner forum....not going to lie, that's a difficult one to get around with Schefter and Mike LOL. Mike has a history and rep for being super secret as well, but yeah, that's a tough one to just sort of kick to the side. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

This year's guy, I think

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Weirdly not the first time I've seen Davis Mills taken at the back end of the 1st round today.

Is he going to be the guy this year that the media convince themselves is going late 1/early 2 and then he actually gets picked in like the 6th round ala Ryan Nassib/Zach Mettenberger/AJ McCarron/Connor Cook

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Is he going to be the guy this year that the media convince themselves is going late 1/early 2 and then he actually gets picked in like the 6th round ala Ryan Nassib/Zach Mettenberger/AJ McCarron/Connor Cook

That's exactly what I was thinking LOL 

39 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Tryon surprises me. 

Moore not so much to be honest...I can make a case for him as high as WR4...definitely in that initial second wave group. 

Humphrey is kind of a surprise, and kind of not. If you're removing Dickerson from teh board, he's clearly the top center available on the market. I think he gets pushed down the end of the second just because of the position, not because of concerns over his play. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's exactly what I was thinking LOL 

I always find the whole “QBs get pushed up the board” meme a bit unfounded. Sure you have guys like Christian Ponder and Daniel Jones who went ahead of where they were mocked but also a ton of QBs who fell compared to the media’s view on them.