Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think expecting him or comping him to any outlier such as top 10 QB of all time is not a premise that I would be banking on. I mean, I can do that for any of them. I'd just say that Fields is Steve Young. 

I think when you're comping people you should be using the realistic expectation of their upside. I would not expect the reasonable result of Mac Jones' upside to be Drew Brees. Is it possible? Sure. But Fields can also be Young. But I would not be banking on that when evaluating them for the selection at #3. 

Fair enough.  Hence, the rich man's Kirk Cousins seems like a realistic upside for Mac Jones.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mac Jones, to me, is a Chad Pennington clone without the bedside manner.

I think Pennington is the best comparison, but a more arrogant and ambitious Pennington in terms of playing style. Pennington had sameness in his drop backs and timing, while Jones will spread it around quickly while also able to go for the jugular once the shorter stuff opens that up.

Nobody seems to accept the possibility that Kyle Shanahan is determined to borrow the Sarkisian concepts and apply them to the NFL, while making sure he has a guy already proven to understand that approach and thrive in it. Yeah it's lots of looping underneath stuff. Devonta Smith benefitted from that as well. He's got a lot more screens and flats and curls on his resume than Waddle does. Debo Samuel is seemingly an ideal tough wiry guy to excel in Alabama designs translated upward.

As a Dolphins fan I kind of hope it is Trey Lance because seemingly that gives the 49ers greater opportunity to flop around the next two seasons, with Miami owning San Francisco's first round pick. Fields is a major work in progress and overrated on the draftnik sites but he does make enough big plays to defeat the lesser teams.

Jones would be plug and play and very quickly obvious whether or not he's special enough.

11 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

As a Dolphins fan I kind of hope it is Trey Lance because seemingly that gives the 49ers greater opportunity to flop around the next two seasons, with Miami owning San Francisco's first round pick. Fields is a major work in progress and overrated on the draftnik sites but he does make enough big plays to defeat the lesser teams.

You guys traded your own pick to Philly when you moved  back up, right? I love that that he was that confident 

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Azeez Ojulari has knee issues.

Nice.

So Christian Barmore at 26 it is. 

I saw that it was a lower leg degenerative issue and teams were disappointed to see it.   If that is in fact the case, I'd be taking Paye, Oweh, and possibly Rousseou (sp?) above him.  Phillips also has injury issues going forward, so I'd have them in the same boat personally.

13 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I mean, he's still 25, they might be in a year or two.  Was still worth drafting even if they are.

Except the teams doctors said they had zero issues/worries about it after we drafted him. Had no idea where that was coming from. 5 years in, hasn't missed a single game from that at all.

Some of this stuff is BS being put out to scare teams. That very well could be one. Not every report is accurate when it comes to injury issues or is in universal agreement by every team.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Except the teams doctors said they had zero issues/worries about it after we drafted him. Had no idea where that was coming from. 5 years in, hasn't missed a single game from that at all.

Some of this stuff is BS being put out to scare teams. That very well could be one. Not every report is accurate when it comes to injury issues/in universal agreement by every team.

I would assume every team medical staff has access to the same medicals from the combine, it's not like they are just saying, "oh, I heard his medicals stink online, better steer clear".  

• Like 1

I'm wondering if that is the case with Farley as well.  Report was many teams took him off board all together, but that only feeds to drop him down the draft to teams that might want him badly.   I'm wondering if he falls out of first round at this point.  Crazy to think that the top CB prospect may fall to 2nd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I would assume every team medical staff has access to the same medicals from the combine, it's not like they are just saying, "oh, I heard his medicals stink online, better steer clear".  

When did I say every medical staff didn't have their medicals? 

That doesn't mean every medical staff has the same view/thoughts on everything they see. As I said, immediately after we drafted him it was said we saw no issues with his knee and he was in consideration at #5 overall.