Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

27 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Stokes is the one who struggles to change direction.

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I thought Campbell's hips/change of direction were excellent in the bit I watched. 

I definitely think Stokes is smoother with change of direction.  I don't think Tyson is bad there though.

34 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Stokes is the one who struggles to change direction.

Both of them have COD issues, the biggest difference is that Stokes' recovery speed is better and he's longer and more explosive then Campbell.  And the numbers back that up.

35 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The way I look at this is if Daniel Jones plays poorly this year and turns out to not be the franchise QB, that extra 1st round pick next year could go a long way in the Giants securing their next QB in the 2022 draft.

Fair, but in the event that happens, the success of this trade will ride of the successful of Fields and how he stacks up against the 22' class. The trade value talk will quickly become a misnomer, as the debate will quickly turn to Fields vs. __?

43 minutes ago, Gmen said:

In the chart I posted from Lee, I counted 6 QBs that were worth trading up for out of 23.  Watson, Allen, Mahomes, Flacco, Cutler, Jackson.  Basically 1 in 4 trades ended up being worth it.  Not great.

It's crappy data. Not a large enough sample size to ignore the nuance of each pick and by shrinking the sample size you discredit the use of bulk averages. For example, Fields is in a different class of prospects compared to guys like Tebow, Lynch and Manziel. Their success (or lack thereof) shouldn't be considered. 

I work with statistics for a living and love the application in sports, but it's nearly impossible to do in scenarios with so many subjective variables. 

Comparatively, I wonder what the associated risk is with dropping from 11 to 20? Similar barriers in the way of a statistical analysis, but removing position specific criteria creates a much larger pool of candidates. I think the variance in risk from Slater to Toney is significant here.

30 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Greg Newsome also could've been the CB in question meaning Moerhig ends up being the pick.

There's a ton of smoke around Campbell/Jaguars interest. Has been for a while.

But thats possible. I guess we'll see.

9 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

It's crappy data. Not a large enough sample size to ignore the nuance of each pick and by shrinking the sample size you discredit the use of bulk averages. For example, Fields is in a different class of prospects compared to guys like Tebow, Lynch and Manziel. Their success (or lack thereof) shouldn't be considered. 

I work with statistics for a living and love the application in sports, but it's nearly impossible to do in scenarios with so many subjective variables. 

Comparatively, I wonder what the associated risk is with dropping from 11 to 20? Similar barriers in the way of a statistical analysis, but removing position specific criteria creates a much larger pool of candidates. I think the variance in risk from Slater to Toney is significant here.

Cool, me too.  I'm a data scientist.  And I enjoy applying data analytics to football in my spare time.

It's the available data.  And it's easy to say Fields is better than Tebow, Lynch and Manziel - in hindsight.  But ESPN gave Manziel the same prospect grade as Fields - 91.  Paxton Lynch wasn't that far behind with an 85. 

Timo Riske (PFF_Moo) has done extensive work in assessing draft pick value. I linked some of his work in a previous post.  He's a big proponent of trading down in the draft.  Because the draft is such a crapshoot, you should acquire as many darts (draft picks) as possible to improve your chances of hitting on players.  As a result, he's been highly critical of Dave Gettleman in the past for never trading down - until last night.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Cool, me too.  I'm a data scientist.  And I enjoy applying data analytics to football in my spare time.

It's the available data.  And it's easy to say Fields is better than Tebow, Lynch and Manziel - in hindsightBut ESPN gave Manziel the same prospect grade as Fields - 91.  Paxton Lynch wasn't that far behind with an 85. 

Timo Riske (PFF_Moo) has done extensive work in assessing draft pick value. I linked some of his work in a previous post.  He's a big proponent of trading down in the draft.  Because the draft is such a crapshoot, you should acquire as many darts (draft picks) as possible to improve your chances of hitting on players.  As a result, he's been highly critical of Dave Gettleman in the past for never trading down - until last night.

Therein lies the subjectivity of these things, lol. I see a lot of outliers in the list relative to Fields' situation, but to apply a 'buffer' of sorts you're relying on opinionated measurements. It's aberrant to the purpose of data analysis. A larger sample size would serve to mitigate the issue, but without more data the list is just click bait IMO. 

The Ozzie Newsome approach! Yea I like what the Giants did from a process standpoint. I just view the value for each team as being independent from one another -- Love the return Gettleman got, but if Fields ends up being 'the guy', the Bears just paid pennies on the dollar for a franchise quarterback.

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Therein lies the subjectivity of these things, lol. I see a lot of outliers in the list relative to Fields' situation, but to apply a 'buffer' of sorts you're relying on opinionated measurements. It's aberrant to the purpose of data analysis. A larger sample size would serve to mitigate the issue, but without more data the list is just click bait IMO. 

I brought up the ESPN grades to disprove your perception that Fields is on a different level as a prospect than Manziel, etc.  There is nothing subjective in the chart posted by Lee.  It’s an objective analysis comparing received draft value in all trade up scenarios where a QB is drafted since 2002.  I don’t think this should be that difficult to grasp for someone working in analytics tbh.  It’s simply a linear combination of weights. 

Edited by Gmen