Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

On 2/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Jeezla said:

Is there any type of loophole where a stud NCAA sophomore can quit school, sign with the XFL for 1 season, and then sign with w/e NFL team he wants as a free agent?

Could Caleb Williams, Joe Alt, and Marvin Harrison Jr quit school today and sign with the XFL? Then sign with the NFL team they want after playing 1 season in the XFL? Or would they go into the NFL draft pool regardless?

IIRC the only rule is to be two and a half years removed from high school for the NFL. Don’t know the XFL rules.

44 minutes ago, Daniel said:
On 2/19/2023 at 4:23 PM, Jeezla said:

Is there any type of loophole where a stud NCAA sophomore can quit school, sign with the XFL for 1 season, and then sign with w/e NFL team he wants as a free agent?

Could Caleb Williams, Joe Alt, and Marvin Harrison Jr quit school today and sign with the XFL? Then sign with the NFL team they want after playing 1 season in the XFL? Or would they go into the NFL draft pool regardless?

IIRC the only rule is to be two and a half years removed from high school for the NFL. Don’t know the XFL rules.

With NIL, I'd be stunned to see that happen. I'd about guarantee a lot of those dudes would get paid more for NIL than the XFL.

The average XFL salary is only $60,000.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

With NIL, I'd be stunned to see that happen. I'd about guarantee a lot of those dudes would get paid more for NIL than the XFL.

The average XFL salary is only $60,000.

For sure. The time of racing to the NFL is over, and I think that’s good for college football.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For sure. The time of racing to the NFL is over, and I think that’s good for college football.

I still am 100% in favor of some restrictions for NIL, which I've laid out in the College Football forum, but I do think as a whole it would benefit/would have benefited a lot of your guys who won't be NFL dudes from profiting and/or kept some dudes in school another year who weren't drafted until late.

Tommie Frazier for those Nebraska teams would have made a lot, for example, or a guy like Matt Mauck who went pro in a head scratching decision after his Jr. season and wasn't drafted until the 7th Round. 

Doesn't matter what kids do, once they are draft eligible, they go into the draft.  I want to say there is a rule out there somewhere, I can't remember, but they'd have to play professionally elsewhere for something like 3-4 years AFTER being draft eligible to be a free agent.  Something weird like that which pretty much guarantees that it'll never happen.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Can’t believe this one

I hope the Panthers are one of them. I want us to go get who we want and not pray the board falls a certain way. 

I’m 99.9% sure we are taking a QB anyway. It would explain why we have shown 0 interest in Carr.

22 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

You have to think the Bears aren’t interested in trading out of the top 4. If they move the pick they’ll still want to secure one of the blue-chips in Carter and Anderson, maybe Wilson. 

Eh, it depends on what they're after.  If I'm them, I would rather leave the top 4 to get more picks that I can spend on offensive help for my QB.  Getting a DL isn't going to help Justin Fields.

Trading further down and picking up some protection and weapons will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Eh, it depends on what they're after.  If I'm them, I would rather leave the top 4 to get more picks that I can spend on offensive help for my QB.  Getting a DL isn't going to help Justin Fields.

Trading further down and picking up some protection and weapons will.

Imagine what adding a viable starting OT and a guy like Addison or JSN would do for that offense immediately, for example, plus future high picks.