Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

@HoboRocket I did a Cardinals mock for fun. Any thoughts?

Traded picks 34 & 168 for 36 & Rams 3rd rounder in 2024... LA used the 34 on Darnell Washington. They really wanted him I guess.

1.3: Bryce Young, QB (yes, I'm giving up on Murray)

2.36: Josh Downs, WR

3.66: Tyrique Stevenson, CB

4.105: Will McDonald IV, EDGE

4.116: Emil Ekiyor Jr, OG

6.180: Colby Wooden, DT

6.213: Deneric Price, RB

Edited by y*so*blu

4 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Traded picks 34 & 168 for 36 & Rams 3rd rounder in 2024... LA used the 34 on Darnell Washington. They really wanted him I guess.

For accuracy purposes, I think there's a zero percent chance the Cardinals give up on Murray. For talent purposes, I don't think they'd give up on Murray for Young. Way too similar as prospects but Murray has a better deep ball.

I'd say a lot of the issues that reared their head were scheme-based during 2nd half of 2021 and 1st half of last season before he got hurt. Definite cause for concern going forward with durability and the drop-off in performance, but there's no real argument against his 2020 and 2021 seasons being top 10 at the QB position overall those years, and in 2019 he did well enough to dramatically improve the performance of a 32-ranked offense from the year before with no WR1 and win offensive Rookie of the Year. 

Will post more on the rest once I get off work.

9 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

So, if I were to rank team needs by position on a scale of 1-10, it would go

IDL 10

CB 10

IOL 10 (Need a starting LG and C, also need a long-term RG)

Edge 9 (generated zero edge pressure last year and Markus Golden moved on, but we have two young 3rd rounders who flashed)

Long-term RT 7.5

RB 7

WR 6.5 (8 if Hopkins goes)

LB 6

Back-Up QB 6

TE 5

P 5

S 4

New Franchise QB 3

K 3

If we were to get Bryce Young, he'd get obliterated and injured behind this OL. We had 4 passable starters last year and the year prior, 3 of them had repetitive durability issues over the course of their careers.

At one point, the Cardinals had 1 starting OL playing. Billy Price, Sean Harlow and Cody Ford EACH played at HISTORICALLY bad levels. Individually.

The other starting OL, Kelvin Beachum, regressed. On top of that, two of those starters moved on (Justin Pugh and Rodney Hudson). The Cardinals have 2 good LTs and nothing else on the offensive line.

CB is a wasteland. Byron Murphy was far and away our best CB from 2019 to present. And he wasn't even amazing. CB was our biggest need last year, it's even bigger now. Marco Wilson had a highlight reel INT and is athletic, but gets burned by fakes 10 times a game. Nothing else at CB.

The Cardinals haven't had a good 0/1 Tech since 2018. JJ Watt and Zach Allen were able to rotate at 5-Tech fairly effectively, but both are not gone. The Cardinals have been awful in short yardage on defense for years and give up rushing yards at will.

Lots of needs. QB is near the bottom because this team is in full rebuild. And with Kyler gone for most of the year as well as an extension that ties him to the team until at least 2025, the conversation isn't Bryce Young or Kyler. It should by Caleb Williams at 1 overall next year or sticking with Kyler.

Like the Tyrique Stevenson pick. No way they go Downs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

For accuracy purposes, I think there's a zero percent chance the Cardinals give up on Murray. For talent purposes, I don't think they'd give up on Murray for Young. Way too similar as prospects but Murray has a better deep ball.

I'd say a lot of the issues that reared their head were scheme-based during 2nd half of 2021 and 1st half of last season before he got hurt. Definite cause for concern going forward with durability and the drop-off in performance, but there's no real argument against his 2020 and 2021 seasons being top 10 at the QB position overall those years, and in 2019 he did well enough to dramatically improve the performance of a 32-ranked offense from the year before with no WR1 and win offensive Rookie of the Year. 

Will post more on the rest once I get off work.

Give me Young as a prospect all day over Murray

• Like 1