Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

On 1/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, jetskid007 said:

Interested in monitoring the meteoric rise of Mekhi Becton throughout the next few months. Industry is in love with him, and Jeremiah is the latest to say he'll be a top 10 pick without equivocation. Real chance he can be the 1st OL off the board. 

Bro, if he comes in the combine at a good looking 345 and move well, its going to happen, his film is too good

On 1/18/2020 at 9:33 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Nah, Burrow needs rapport with the players who can help him the most right now. The most obvious of which is AJ Green. Assuming we reach an extension, I expect him to be playing at a high level in a vital role for at least 2 more years. We have plenty of time, 2020 draft included, to find Burrow weapons to develop with long-term. Justin Jefferson is certainly in play at pick 33.

Over OL? I personally think he can get that same rapport with some of the guys already there if they put in enough time. I would personally fortify the OL to A) protect your investment and B) To secure a consistent running game. Both takes pressure off of your rookie QB

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Over OL? I personally think he can get that same rapport with some of the guys already there if they put in enough time. I would personally fortify the OL to A) protect your investment and B) To secure a consistent running game. Both takes pressure off of your rookie QB

OL is definitely the preference, but I’m wary of forcing the pick if the right guy isn’t there (see Billy Price). 

• Like 1

ESPN's Total QBR, despite being kind of a joke of a statistic, has been a decent predictor of NFL success.

Based on the data I collected from quarterbacks drafted from 2006 to 2016 in the first three rounds:

Share of NFL ANY/A+ Predicted
Statistic R-Squared
Draft Position 15.53%
Total QBR 14.20%
Passer Rating 4.36%

No other college passing statistic had an r-squared of greater than 9.66% (Total TDs), so I think Total QBR is at least worth taking a look at for college players (if you value college stats at all, which is in itself another debate).

The rumor making its way around mobile is a possible Rivers-Eason combo in TB. Allbright confirms he has heard the same. 

My thoughts are that this is a leverage play to try and drive Jamies’ price on a 3-4 year deal, but Arians is known to have loved Rivers since his high school days. He’s long been a Jameis supporter as well, but he was extremely critical at the end of the season. Makes you wonder

DJ has the Giants taking Becton at 4 in his first mock:

PICK

NYG.png

Mekhi Becton - OT

School: Louisville | Year: Junior

Dave Gettleman loves big, physical football players, and they don't get any bigger than Becton (listed at 6-foot-7, 369 pounds). He is a mauler in the run game and he's shockingly nimble in pass protection.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

DJ has the Giants taking Becton at 4 in his first mock:

PICK

NYG.png

Mekhi Becton - OT

School: Louisville | Year: Junior

Dave Gettleman loves big, physical football players, and they don't get any bigger than Becton (listed at 6-foot-7, 369 pounds). He is a mauler in the run game and he's shockingly nimble in pass protection.

Also has Wirfs at guard and Simmons at safety. Queen at 19 is as high as I've seen him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Translation: "If you plan on drafting a QB, you better call us first"

Wouldn't teams be trying to trade up with the Redskins in that case?  If the Lions really wanted a trade, wouldn't they say "we're open for business, give us your best trade offer" and have teams compete against each other?