Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

Just now, .Buzz said:

Doug P confirmed he’ll slot into the RT spot next to Scherff. 

That's the best fit for him for now.  Harrison was on my list for the Titans during the season when I thought we'd be picking in the 20s.  Uses length well, mauler in the run game, and he's super young, so his potential is sky high.  Had outstanding tape against Felix Anudike-Uzomah, then tested well at the combine.

I think he'll be yall's left tackle sooner rather than later.

Yall had some very good picks this draft.  Antonio Johnson and Parker Washington were huge steals.  I'm also glad to know the NFL was higher on Ventrell Miller and Tyler Lacy than the consensus too.  Not sure about Strange that high, but he's a great blocker.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's the best fit for him for now.  Harrison was on my list for the Titans during the season when I thought we'd be picking in the 20s.  Uses length well, mauler in the run game, and he's super young, so his potential is sky high.  Had outstanding tape against Felix Anudike-Uzomah, then tested well at the combine.

Yall had some very good picks this draft.  Antonio Johnson and Parker Washington were huge steals.  I'm also glad to know the NFL was higher on Ventrell Miller and Tyler Lacy than the consensus too.  Not sure about Strange that high, but he's a great blocker.

I’m excited about Washington. He is going to feast in the slot. I think he’s Kirk’s eventual replacement when we have to pay Trevor big money. Think Antonio will eventually replace Jenkins on the backend.

We definitely took Strange earlier than expected but it sounds like Doug wanted him. I trust him when it comes to TE’s. He seems to have some wiggle and a knack for getting open. Will be eager to see how they use him.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

With Walker Little in the fold I don’t see him moving him off that spot, but I like the versatility. 

I’m not a huge Ventrell Miller fan but I really liked the Lacy selection with Smoot likely being on the outs. His play style is very similar. 

Tank should be a very good compliment to ETN. Loved what we did in rounds 4-6 (minus the Ventrell pick), and very much with you on Strange. Can’t say he was really on my radar but he seems to have some fans on Draft Twitter. Seems like he was underutilized in the pass game and he can get after it as a blocker as you mentioned.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I’m not a huge Ventrell Miller fan but I really liked the Lacy selection with Smoot likely being on the outs. His play style is very similar. 

Tank should be a very good compliment to ETN. Loved our rounds 4-6 (minus the Ventrell pick), and very much with you on Strange. Can’t say he was really on my radar but he seems to have some fans on Draft Twitter. Didn’t seem like Penn State used him as much as they should’ve in the pass game and he can get after it as a blocker as you mentioned.

Penn State had two TEs they used a lot.  I forget the other guy's name because he stayed in school, but he was a better receiver than Strange, Strange was a better blocker than him.  Strange can definitely do both, but his main strength is as a blocker.  I had him as the second best blocker in the class, but that's just not as valuable as being a weapon.

Miller, to me, is a guy who had strong tape in the beginning of the season, and weak tape later.  Read and reacts well generally, but tends to just charge into the line of scrimmage every time, even when it would be more effective to drop back, and takes a good number of plays off.  His Tennessee tape was very good, but it also just got worse for him from there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Penn State had two TEs they used a lot.  I forget the other guy's name because he stayed in school, but he was a better receiver than Strange, Strange was a better blocker than him.  Strange can definitely do both, but his main strength is as a blocker.  I had him as the second best blocker in the class, but that's just not as valuable as being a weapon.

Miller, to me, is a guy who had strong tape in the beginning of the season, and weak tape later.  Read and reacts well generally, but tends to just charge into the line of scrimmage every time, even when it would be more effective to drop back, and takes a good number of plays off.  His Tennessee tape was very good, but it also just got worse for him from there.

I think the thing for Miller is the fit too. He isn’t starting over Oluokun, Muma, or Lloyd. We have a rock solid backup inside LB in Quarterman. I just don’t see the where he slots in outside of special teams.

• Like 1

I can't get over the Lions having 4 picks in the top 45 and taking the 4 least important positions on the football field. I'm hearing more rational/less emotional takes now, after the weekend, justifying their draft by saying they got 4 good players that will help them this year that looks better if you ignore positional value. While that is possibly true, these are such short-sighted choices. You didn't even make the playoffs last year! Which one of their top 4 choices are going to get big money 2nd contracts with them?

I could end up being totally wrong and the Lions truly enter a championship window this year and these 4 guys play their roles beautifully. It feels like their draft could have been so much better though. I was ready to wake up Monday morning and say "wow, the Lions are legit super bowl contenders" and I don't think this draft did that for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I can't get over the Lions having 4 picks in the top 45 and taking the 4 least important positions on the football field. I'm hearing more rational/less emotional takes now, after the weekend, justifying their draft by saying they got 4 good players that will help them this year that looks better if you ignore positional value. While that is possibly true, these are such short-sighted choices. You didn't even make the playoffs last year! Which one of their top 4 choices are going to get big money 2nd contracts with them?

I could end up being totally wrong and the Lions truly enter a championship window this year and these 4 guys play their roles beautifully. It feels like their draft could have been so much better though. I was ready to wake up Monday morning and say "wow, the Lions are legit super bowl contenders" and I don't think this draft did that for them.

I think this hits the nail on the head doesn't it? We didn't make the playoffs, but believe we're close to competing in the NFC where the QBs are weaker.

With our Free Agency, there weren't that many holes at premium positions. So, truthfully the non-premium positions were the upgrade.

Read an article on The Athletic on “player x”, a profile on a random UDFA the cowboys signed. Unless this was a series and I caught the end of it, the story was kinda a flatline. He was promised to get selected, didn’t, signed with the cowboys based on opportunity. Was drafted by the Red Sox years ago, bailed for football because he said it was more boring than watching grass grow, then during the nfl draft McCarthy and Payton both called him but it meant nothing to him because he’s “not an nfl fan”. The guy just sounds like he sucks as a person 

On 5/4/2023 at 6:07 PM, TVScout said:

Tbf, has nothing to do with being smart. Has to do with prospect preferences and evaluations at this point. If a team happened to draft a bunch of guys you liked predraft, probably getting a good grade. If the team drafted a bunch of guys you thought should go later, low grade. 

These are just opinion pieces for content and clicks, which is fine

• Like 3