Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

It runs pretty strong 1 through about 12 or 13, but there is a drop off after that, and none of those 12-13 are making it to day 3.  If you want an OT in this draft that you expect to be a contributor, it better be in the top 3 rounds.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Oh I certainly don’t have an issue with it - was just making an observation that people seem to find him “reliable” year after year in these threads just because he says his takes so confidently. Guys like DJ will at least qualify things with like “what i’m hearing right now is...”. Allbright’s whole shtick is typically “this is the pick. trust me” in some smarmy way. And it burns draft junkies like us time and time again. I love the rumors aspect of this process, but saying “Allbright is adamant it’s Ruggs on twitter” doesn’t mean much anymore IMO.

He was adamant it was Darnold to cleveland.

He was adamant it was Wentz to LA.

He was adamant last year Cincy was going to go get Haskins.

I just feel like there’s a very big distinction between people who analyze the draft for a living like a DJ/Kiper/McShay, and a guy who just throws stuff around on twitter according to his “sources” like Allbright. 

This is the rumors section so by all means - i just felt like throwing out my opinion on Allbright 🤷🏻‍♂️

He was adamant because a source he trusted was telling him that stuff.  This shouldn't be some shocker that journalists trust their sources.  That doesn't constitute "throwing stuff at the wall."  Sorry, dude, but your take makes it sound like you're trying to put these guys on the same level with yourself which is flatly false.

The guy may have some bad sources, but he clearly has more access to folks who would be in the know (or at minimum have a considerably better chance of being in the know).  He's not just out there throwing darts.  You have to have a name and experience that you derive your credibility from (like prior playing/management experience or a long-established sports journalism career) in order to get a gig on the afternoon drive slot on a CBS/NBC-variety radio station in a mid-major market like Denver.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man what a weird time to trade up for a receiver.

Perhaps, but even among the upper tiers of receivers in this draft the majority of them fall into clearly defined roles in the league (X, Y, or Z).  So if a team covets one of the few that can be counted on to play all three roles at a high level or are trying to fill a very specific role (because they've determined it's what their system/developing QB needs the most) then you go get the guy (if you've determined that you absolutely need an elite contributor in that role).

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Perhaps, but even among the upper tiers of receivers in this draft the majority of them fall into clearly defined roles in the league (X, Y, or Z).  So if a team covets one of the few that can be counted on to play all three roles at a high level or are trying to fill a very specific role (because they've determined it's what their system/developing QB needs the most) then you go get the guy (if you've determined that you absolutely need an elite contributor in that role).

Yeah I get it, but the downside of that is now you don't have the capital to fill the holes you have elsewhere. Denver is not one player away. To trade that off you have to be 100% convinced that that a) this guy has something nobody else in the class can give you and b) he's a can't miss level talent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah I get it, but the downside of that is now you don't have the capital to fill the holes you have elsewhere. Denver is not one player away. To trade that off you have to be 100% convinced that that a) this guy has something nobody else in the class can give you and b) he's a can't miss level talent. 

True.  But Elway is convinced he's invincible (and he may well be), so he'll operate with impunity.  And he's thought they were only 1 player away before when they weren't.

• Like 1

The idea that Denver would be blowing their draft capital to trade for a WR is a little hyperbolic. They have three 3’s, they can afford to burn one + some change. They’re in a good spot now because of two great deals they made last year. Getting a 3rd (+ Bouye by proxy) for Sanders’ expiring was a steal and they came out ahead on the Steelers trade last year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The idea that Denver would be blowing their draft capital to trade for a WR is a little hyperbolic. They have three 3’s, they can afford to burn one + some change. They’re in a good spot now because of two great deals they made last year. Getting a 3rd (+ Bouye by proxy) for Sanders’ expiring was a steal and they came out ahead on the Steelers trade last year. 

Yeah fair point, how much do you think it would cost to move up from 15-10?

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah fair point, how much do you think it would cost to move up from 15-10?

I would think 77 and 118 gets it done but I bet they’d try to send a 2021 4th instead of 118, as there’s a chance they end up with a comp 4th next year.