Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

Rams ended up with four starters in last years draft and I think all good some ROY votes and a punter as well. That seems like a rarity though especially when not all teams go into a draft needing that many starters. 

17 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Gibbs, Campbell, Branch, Laporta and Stroud/Anderson/Dell/Jarrett or Juice 

And both have been lauded as exceptional drafts a year after.

It happens, but I agree that those are fantastic classes.

Yeah, and those were fantastic draft classes. Maybe I'm nitpicking his choice of words, but a "goal" of getting 4 established starters in a draft makes a ton of sense. Set your goals high. But expecting or planning on getting 4 established starters every draft? That's impossible and unprecedented. We are talking about the 2 best drafts from last year from teams who had TONS of extra draft capital. The Texans had 2 of the top 3 picks and 4 in the top 70. The Lions had 2 top-20 picks and 5 in the top 70. This cannot be your barometer of success in a draft.

21 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

If the Pats trade out of three with Maye on the board, I may have to rescind my fandom. I deep in.

Would there be an offer enticing enough that you would prefer it over Maye? IMO, the Pats should feel the same as you do, but you never know. There is a ton of smoke about them trading back. So much so that I find it hard to believe it is all solely driven by pundits and draftniks trying to find interesting trade up spots for the Vikings/Giants/Broncos in their mocks and TV segments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, and those were fantastic draft classes. Maybe I'm nitpicking his choice of words, but a "goal" of getting 4 established starters in a draft makes a ton of sense. Set your goals high. But expecting or planning on getting 4 established starters every draft? That's impossible and unprecedented. We are talking about the 2 best drafts from last year from teams who had TONS of extra draft capital. The Texans had 2 of the top 3 picks and 4 in the top 70. The Lions had 2 top-20 picks and 5 in the top 70. This cannot be your barometer of success in a draft.

how many starters you get from a draft class is impacted by a few factors.   Draft capital  (as you noted that Houston and Detroit had more picks that the average team in the first 2/3 rounds) and how many holes there are to fill.  bad teams with lots of holes should get more starters than teams that are title contenders.

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

how many starters you get from a draft class is impacted by a few factors.   Draft capital  (as you noted that Houston and Detroit had more picks that the average team in the first 2/3 rounds) and how many holes there are to fill.  bad teams with lots of holes should get more starters than teams that are title contenders.

Agree with both points.

The Rams and Cards also got 4 starters from last year's class, but they had very weak rosters which allowed for more young guys to make the team.

It's a great goal, but highly variable.

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Would there be an offer enticing enough that you would prefer it over Maye? IMO, the Pats should feel the same as you do, but you never know. There is a ton of smoke about them trading back. So much so that I find it hard to believe it is all solely driven by pundits and draftniks trying to find interesting trade up spots for the Vikings/Giants/Broncos in their mocks and TV segments.

Not really at this point. Right now next year’s class sucks (obviously that can change) and we just went through a process of having the ‘game manager’ quarterback in Mac, so McCarthy et al don’t feel like good drop-back alternatives.

• Like 1

Is the expectation 4 rookie starters, or just 4 players per draft class that wind up as starters, even if it takes a season or two to develop? Because the latter is reasonable and how good teams sustain longevity and runs, replacing expensive FAs with drafted players ala KC Chiefs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Not really at this point. Right now next year’s class sucks (obviously that can change) and we just went through a process of having the ‘game manager’ quarterback in Mac, so McCarthy et al don’t feel like good drop-back alternatives.

https://x.com/ChadGraff/status/1780960397412925951

Hmm. Well,

I grade players based on the idea that you’re aiming for three starters per year

1st round grade - Can start day 1 and you’re hoping to get a pro bowl level career. If you think he’s a day 1 pro bowler, that would be an early 1st round grade.

2nd round grade - Should be able to contribute in year 1 and start in year 2.

3rd round grade - Eventual starter but will need some development time.

4th-5th round grade - Really solid career backup/rotational options

6th-7th round grades - Borderline roster players and special teamers