Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

22 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Something seems up, odds on Herbert being the second QB chosen have dropped sharply. And there were those reports, smokescreen or not, about how badly the Dolphins meet-ups went. 

At this point I'd be surprised if Tua didn't slip. Nothing definitive by itself. It's more an accumulation of rumblings over the past two weeks. 

As a gambler I always believe everything goes back to the beginning. But where is the beginning? Not always clear cut. In this situation it would be immediately after Tua's injury. At that point the consensus was that he would either return to school, or if he did enter the 2020 draft then his stock would certainly slip quite a bit. Only in recent months has the conventional wisdom been a slip of not too far, down to the 3 to 6 range. 

Logically it's probably more than that, while applying that back-to-the-beginning criteria. 

As a Dolphins fan I think it's a mistake. I would exponentially prefer a short pudgy injured Tua to a tall guy who looks the part in Justin Herbert. Basically I'm prepared to be disappointed in another pathetically safe strategic decision, just like Christian Wilkins from this regime was overly safe last season with very little concern he'd actually be great.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You dare go against Charles McDonald?

He's pretty damn good draft guy, so not sure if you're unaware of who he is?

Regardless, he's a volatile prospect as far as how people think he'll transition without a set position/where does he line up. But I see more of a safety than LB myself, although he can obviously play all over.

I'm coming around to the idea of him at FS and moving around in nickel if he's around at JAX pick which is beginning to look possible.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Regardless, he's a volatile prospect as far as how people think he'll transition without a set position/where does he line up. But I see more of a safety than LB myself, although he can obviously play all over.

I'm coming around to the idea of him at FS and moving around in nickel if he's around at JAX pick which is beginning to look possible.

Mayock is a pretty good draft guy too. Doesn't mean he isn't wrong half the time.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So we should abstain from posting any draft thoughts from anyone during this whole process?

Ok then...

You can post whatever you want, I'm just saying he's wrong. Simmons is more than capable of becoming a very good LB. McDonald pigeonholing him as only a safety is silly.

Edited by Jeezla

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You can post whatever you want, I'm just saying he's wrong. Simmons is more than capable of becoming a very good LB.

Hey, this is a forum and everyone can have their own. Hence why we're all here.

Doesn't mean if someone posts something/says something that counters how you view a player they're wrong or it shouldn't be posted. 

Everyone's going to have misses during this process (even you who are also stating opinions as if they're fact). 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Hey, this is a forum and everyone can have their own. Hence why we're all here.

Doesn't mean if someone posts something/says something that counters how you view someone they're wrong or it shouldn't be posted. 

Everyone's going to have misses during this process (even you who are also stating opinions as if they're fact). 

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Are you saying he's right? You never actually stated your own opinion, you just posted a random tweet, so I'm not sure what you're debating.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Are you saying he's right? You never actually stated your own opinion, you just posted a random tweet, so I'm not sure what you're debating.

I'm not debating...?

59 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You dare go against Charles McDonald?

No one is saying anyone is gospel. I just responded by saying he's actually a good draft guy who knows his stuff after you apparently hadn't heard of him.

He's a worthwhile guy to listen to, doesn't mean he's right in this scenario but it's an interesting take that I thought was worth posting in the draft rumor/media thread for discussion.

Sorry if his name/opinion isnt up to snuff for you.

39 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Assuming we're talking about Simmons here (I'm being lazy and not looking back), if not, disregard.

It really depends for me as to where/what role he's going to play for a defense.  I'm a cynic, so I don't believe that the majority of defensive coordinators are creative enough to build a defense around him the way that Lovie Smith did with Urlacher or Mike Nolan/Singletary did with Patrick Willis.  And taking that into account, most DC's are going to try to shoe-horn him into a prescribed role and ultimately position, which for many of them - likely - will be MIKE, ultimately.  But if it's MIKE they're naturally going to want to bulk him up some (which he's certainly capable of) but there is concern that added bulk could cost him some of that athleticism that's very much his calling card and the key to his versatility.

Also, having him play MIKE - unless you're going to "Urlacher" him and build the entire defensive scheme around him - takes a fair amount of the positional value (draft pick wise) out of him.

Not hating on Simmons by any means, just saying he's not as easy a projection, considering the variables he can't control, as he's made out to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yep. I don’t see how he can’t be LB, particularly in today’s style of football. 

Yeah, I think he could slot in at WLB. I am seeing more and more people think he'd fit better in the safety/slot but I think he could play them all.

Comes down to where you think he'll excel the most.

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Assuming we're talking about Simmons here (I'm being lazy and not looking back), if not, disregard.

It really depends for me as to where/what role he's going to play for a defense.  I'm a cynic, so I don't believe that the majority of defensive coordinators are creative enough to build a defense around him the way that Lovie Smith did with Urlacher or Mike Nolan/Singletary did with Patrick Willis.  And taking that into account, most DC's are going to try to shoe-horn him into a prescribed role and ultimately position, which for many of them - likely - will be MIKE, ultimately.  But if it's MIKE they're naturally going to want to bulk him up some (which he's certainly capable of) but there is concern that added bulk could cost him some of that athleticism that's very much his calling card and the key to his versatility.

Also, having him play MIKE - unless you're going to "Urlacher" him and build the entire defensive scheme around him - takes a fair amount of the positional value (draft pick wise) out of him.

Not hating on Simmons by any means, just saying he's not as easy a projection, considering the variables he can't control, as he's made out to be.

IIRC, the Bears D was designed around funneling everything towards Briggs.

Other interesting bit I heard yesterday:

For the tape of a given safety prospect there are roughly 10 snaps/game that they can really be evaluated from.  From those snaps the guys who predominantly play inside the box have a greater preponderance for making game-changing plays, so that tends to be why those guys go earlier than deeper-lying safeties.

Going a step further, one of the most common traits among the top deep safeties in the league is that they simply don't make mistakes, which is an incredibly difficult thing to measure among college safety prospects, though it's something that scouts seem to mistake (or voluntarily substitute) athleticism to recover for that measurement.