Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

Absolutely not. I wouldn't touch a USC WR with a 39.5' pole.

It all depends on what it takes to get him.  1st rd pick?  Yeah, I'm not buying that for Pittman, but if you see him on the board in the 4th or 5th, I wouldn't let school affiliation get in the way of my scouting report if I thought he had a chance to be a good NFL WR.

My “surprise” riser is Josh Jones. I think he’s very much an option at 10 for Cleveland. He’s the only guy I heard that the Browns scouted this past year. He supposedly tests well in analytics.

Obviously, I think Thomas, Wirfs, Bechton, and Wills are options as well.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, candyman93 said:

My “surprise” riser is Josh Jones. I think he’s very much an option at 10 for Cleveland. He’s the only guy I heard that the Browns scouted this past year. He supposedly tests well in analytics.

Obviously, I think Thomas, Wirfs, Bechton, and Wills are options as well.

I have thought about this too, but I didn’t want to jump to this conclusion prior to understanding how they scout using analytics - i.e. is it more physical based, situational based? I’m sure PFF plays a role (they sell to all 32 teams) but they may use other metrics that point to other prospects. 

Still, I’m keeping a close eye on the OL stack. It’s the one position draftniks have been a bit far off on over the past few years. The Tunsil fall was highlighted by the weed video, but many around the league actually had him as their 2nd or 3rd ranked OT. Cam Robinson was the darling of draftniks early on and fell to the 2nd. Kolton Miller went much higher than many expected in 2018, and last year rankings were all over the map with Lindstom, Howard, and McGary going much higher than they expected, with Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, and Cody Ford falling to round 2. 

I’m expecting something similar to 2018 this year, with up to 10 guys going in the top 45 picks but possibly in an order not many of us expect. For instance, I think it’s entirely possible that Thomas is this year’s version of Taylor/Robinson and ends up being the 5th OL off the board. Cam Robinson was actually the player I compared him to in my personal report. Similar balance issues- relies too much on his upper body, etc. I think Thomas is more developed from a football IQ perspective, but very similar players from a talent perspective and appear to have the same issues on tape, albeit less glaring for Thomas. Still think round 1, but weirdly I wouldn’t be shocked to be reading articles about how A team like Minnesota got a steal at 25 in a few months from now. 

TBH. I've seen over the last two seasons that as it gets closer and closer to the draft there seems to be an artificial inflation of OTs on teams' boards much like QB, but it's just not as widely realized yet. Wills is a prime example of this IMO.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, THE DUKE said:

It all depends on what it takes to get him.  1st rd pick?  Yeah, I'm not buying that for Pittman, but if you see him on the board in the 4th or 5th, I wouldn't let school affiliation get in the way of my scouting report if I thought he had a chance to be a good NFL WR.

Robert Woods also is very upset by his statement. 

2 hours ago, jeffdandy78 said:

What is the consensus landing spot for Young?

How far do you think he has dropped, if at all, from the hype around him before the Maryland game?

He's not getting past the Redskins at 2 unless we are offered Miami's 3 1sts this year and their 2021 1st next year.  If that happens (no chance), he'd go #3 overall to Detroit.

21 hours ago, Danger said:

TBH. I've seen over the last two seasons that as it gets closer and closer to the draft there seems to be an artificial inflation of OTs on teams' boards much like QB, but it's just not as widely realized yet. Wills is a prime example of this IMO.

I mean, that's not exclusive to the last two years.  Go search Planet Theory.  TL;DR there's only so many big guys with movement skills, so you're going to have to draft them early and often.

21 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He's not getting past the Redskins at 2 unless we are offered Miami's 3 1sts this year and their 2021 1st next year.  If that happens (no chance), he'd go #3 overall to Detroit.

Man with the 3 1sts from MIA you could get the whole OSU defense!

He's from Maryland too, which makes sense.

22 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Seen some mocks go up recently that say that. I had actually thought he had fallen given how Clemson and Wisconsin played him.

Arguably more of a playmaker than some of the QB's at the top, and maybe more potential than Burrows despite his chops.