Jump to content

Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So is Simmons falling because he's too versatile? 

What do we consider falling? I view his floor as likely being 7/8, and that is kind of always where I felt it would be. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Techbert said:

When you look at Simmons you have to look at the rest of your team. You have three options.

1. Do I put him at a specific position and maximize his development there? If so, the flexibility does not really help.

2. Do I put him at the Super-Flex-No-Position like he can handle? If so, you piss off all your veterans and possibly your dinosaur DC.

3. Do I put him in a flexible role on a rebuilding team, and move him around as your team rebuilds and the needs of the team changes in the first few years? If so you risk stunting his development.

So I think it all depends on how people see their own team and how they would use him, and it always amazes me how teams get players that are ill-suited for the defense they run or the rest of their personnel and they spend the player's full time there trying to teach him to do what does not come naturally.

What would I do with him? I would draft him on a young defense with fire and passion and move him around. So you are limited to only a few teams, which means a fall in draft position. What do I expect to happen to him? I expect him to become an in-the-box safety on a team that does not want to admit he is an in-the-box-safety.

I feel like a mix of 1 & 2 is right. Let him play whatever position you see he fits the best and if injuries happen in a spot that you have less depth than the one Simmons currently occupies then maybe you move him over there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

What do we consider falling? I view his floor as likely being 7/8, and that is kind of always where I felt it would be. 

I was thinking more 9-10, like just looking at mocks(I know I know, no one has a clue but still) between the obvious 1st 2, its possible we see 2-3 OTs and 1-2 WRs go Top-10 right? Plus possibly another QB or 2 then of course there's Brown Okudah and Henderson?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was thinking more 9-10, like just looking at mocks(I know I know, no one has a clue but still) between the obvious 1st 2, its possible we see 2-3 OTs and 1-2 WRs go Top-10 right? Plus possibly another QB or 2 then of course there's Brown Okudah and Henderson?

I think he's also a victim of the draft this year.

Too many options at premium positions, it's easy to pass on a LB/S hybrid when there's a OT, CB, QB, WR there.

 

I think there's a very good chance most NFL teams never thought of him as top 5. I cannot say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to feel an awful lot like Ruggs is the 49ers' receiver of choice. Matt Maiocco just mocked his selection to the 49ers, and he's fairly in tune as far as beat writers go. Fairly reliable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

Starting to feel an awful lot like Ruggs is the 49ers' receiver of choice. Matt Maiocco just mocked his selection to the 49ers, and he's fairly in tune as far as beat writers go. Fairly reliable. 

He's one of my favorite beat writers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Starting to feel an awful lot like Ruggs is the 49ers' receiver of choice. Matt Maiocco just mocked his selection to the 49ers, and he's fairly in tune as far as beat writers go. Fairly reliable. 

Does he even make it there?  Jacksonville at 20 seemed destined to be a WR selection, but I'm starting to think 9 might be in play here as a surprise pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Does he even make it there?  Jacksonville at 20 seemed destined to be a WR selection, but I'm starting to think 9 might be in play here as a surprise pick.

This is my big question as well. Despite what Woody Paige said, I still think that it makes more sense for Denver to get up in the draft in order to go get Ruggs than it does Jeudy, but that's just my own opinion on the matter. So I absolutely think that he could be gone before them. I said a while ago that he was actually my slight favorite to go first out of the three. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is my big question as well. Despite what Woody Paige said, I still think that it makes more sense for Denver to get up in the draft in order to go get Ruggs than it does Jeudy, but that's just my own opinion on the matter. So I absolutely think that he could be gone before them. I said a while ago that he was actually my slight favorite to go first out of the three. 

I mean, there's going to be 4 WRs go in the top 20 minimum.  My biggest question is when does the first WR get plucked?  The earlier it goes, the sooner the dominoes fall.  Jacksonville at 9/20, NY Jets at 11, Las Vegas at 12/19, San Francisco at 13, and Denver at 15 are all very much in the mix to draft a WR.  What if the run happens sooner rather than later?  If Jacksonville drafts WR1, Denver moves up to to 10 to select WR2, NY Jets draft WR3, and then Las Vegas drafts WR4.  That leaves San Francisco without a top 4 WR, which pretty much limits them to Kinlaw (not a bad consolation), possibly a top OT or CB, or trade back?  I mean, a worst case scenario for the 49ers in that situation is that Tua AND Herbert are still on the board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, football guy said:

I agree but did you read his final sentence? He has no confidence in his ability to put together a mock draft this year.

The section I enjoyed was the description of the simulated draft. Supposedly it was a bunch of 60 year old men cursing at their computers while forgetting to mute their phones. One head coach in a loud voice was yelling at his kids to get off their iPads because they were taking up too much bandwidth. 

I hope we get all of that and more. Atypical needs to be entertaining and memorable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I agree but did you read his final sentence? He has no confidence in his ability to put together a mock draft this year.

The section I enjoyed was the description of the simulated draft. Supposedly it was a bunch of 60 year old men cursing at their computers while forgetting to mute their phones. One head coach in a loud voice was yelling at his kids to get off their iPads because they were taking up too much bandwidth. 

I hope we get all of that and more. Atypical needs to be entertaining and memorable.

Hence my choice of words: Evan's pulse for the draft has always been good. He may not be accurate this year, but he has a good big-picture outlook both regarding the draft and fantasy football. He's an information gatherer who compiles all of it to make a sound, rational decision, but I still think he's selling himself short because he's followed the league long enough to pick up on trends.

Either way, agreed. I have no idea what to expect, but I can tell you that I'm interested in this draft more so than any draft I can ever remember. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...